I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
lol. so gremlins are still a possibility?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jake_91306
lol. so gremlins are still a possibility?
1 of the 29 that i can think of

Maybe i should drive it down to FL to see if it does it in 80 degree weather LOL

still have to wait a few more months for that here :\

Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Hmm... temp related. Worn shocks/struts?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Do you have dead bodies, rope and lime in the trunk shifting from side to side?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Hmm... temp related. Worn shocks/struts?
It actually isn't temp related although my last post makes it seem like it is.

It barley did it today except for first mile and it was 37 out...when it was 60 a week ago, it did it like it usually does...temp and weather is out of equation

Do you have dead bodies, rope and lime in the trunk shifting from side to side?
Not in the past 2 weeks....wait...i mean...no?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Anton - just a thought, since you have declared this issue to infiniti many times then even when your warranty runs out you can argue that it was well documented and they need to address it.

it appears your vibration is definitely resonance at certain intervals vs a constant problem...have you considered your steering rack being the culprit? since you said you always feel it in the steering wheel, correct? although i suppose you wouldn't feel that in the seats so much....

the thing is, if you feel it in the wheel then it has to be connected to it...from your previous list i submit to you the following:

CV Joints - possible, to me this is more likely than u joints
U Joints - possible
Brakes - dismiss this since it happens while driving at constant speed
Drive Shaft/half shaft and its balance - dismiss this, you'd feel it constantly if off balance once above a certain threshold speed, or you would have noticed it ages ago when you first got the car (and i'm believing this is relatively a new issue). something like this just doesn't lose mass or shift it's orientation, unless you bent it slightly and miraculously didn't damage anything else in the undercarriage.
Engine mount - dismiss this, based on yesterday's "test"
Trans mount - dismiss this, based on yesterday's "test"
Rims/Tires - try this still just to be sure but it's unlikely since it would be repeatable.
Steering - consider this with tie rods and ball joints (although ball joints is a last effort guess in my opinion)

i'm happy to be proven wrong based on whatever anyone else thinks, whatever helps Anton get to the bottom of things!

Bob

Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
You know, the more i look at this list and yet to find the culprit... wouldn't this be a prime candidate for lemon law?

Just throwing that out there for consideration.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
You know, the more i look at this list and yet to find the culprit... wouldn't this be a prime candidate for lemon law?

Just throwing that out there for consideration.
MA used car lemon law is only 30 day for my mileage. Way past that.

have you considered your steering rack being the culprit? since you said you always feel it in the steering wheel, correct? although i suppose you wouldn't feel that in the seats so much....
Yeah i think it could be in the steering rack. But i wouldn't feel it in the seats

Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Just an update:

Drove to store to get Walking Dead on Bluray (great show!) and on way there it was fine up to the speed of 80. On way back it started at 72...i decided to push the car to see if there was a speed where i could get out of the vibration. It have the vib in wheel and slight in seats up to 93..got the car up to 105 ( i know i know but this is for a cause!) and it was pretty smooth at 105. Drove around the highway a few more times and it seemed to have a mind of its own again..ahh! We will see if my local mechanic can see anything under there on thursday..hopefully

I am keeping a log of when it does it to see if i notice a trend somewhere i am missing. I think i notice that it starts earlier like around 65 when the car is cold and not warmed up. When it is warmed up..i mean a good 30 min of driving..it seems to start around 75...hmmm

I think the vibrations in the seat might be more in my head than what i am thinking they are. It being winter time and the roads not being the best could be part of it. When the steering wheel vibrates a good amount sometimes, i think i feel it in the seat more when this happens due to thinking the whole car is vibrating..it feels like it is..but then it doesn't... Also the Plecebo affect of seeing the passengers seat vibrate a lot. I will admit though that i expected too much from the car in the beginning. I keep feeling like the car should be smooth as silk like a Bently. But i have to keep telling myself...the car is almost 4 years old and has 65k miles on it. It's not showroom material anymore. This being my first luxury/sportier car i expected it to ride like i am on clouds. But again..it is 4 years old with some miles on it. it's not a Maserati here, it's an Infiniti. I knew these rode a little rougher than a BMW ect. I think i am still getting use to the car and even though it's my first luxury car, it's not a $70k luxury car.

Yes the vibration i am feeling is deff not normal..i think i just expect it to not having any problems because this is the most i spent for a car. Whole new learning process for me!

Not to say now i am not having a problem

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 03-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
true it's not going to be a silky smooth ride but it should be smoother than you're reporting though. my G rides quite nice, although my local roads kind of suck.

if you're willing to dismiss the seats then the issue has to really be in the front and connected to the steering wheel. so you're back to the joints, steering rack, rims and possibly the halfshafts or tranny.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
true it's not going to be a silky smooth ride but it should be smoother than you're reporting though. my G rides quite nice, although my local roads kind of suck.

if you're willing to dismiss the seats then the issue has to really be in the front and connected to the steering wheel. so you're back to the joints, steering rack, rims and possibly the halfshafts or tranny.
I am more worried about fixing the shakes in the wheel before the seats even though they may be related. Of all the research i have done online about other cars and their shakes..i haven't seen 1 case were the steering wheel vibration was caused by the transmission...i just cant see how that would make my steering colom shake

Question to you guys...am i right in thinking if i had a tire balance issue, it would happen all the time at that speed and not sometimes or worse one day and better the next?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Could be the tire itself, I had a problem just like yours on one of my previous cars. When they finally put the wheel/tire on the balancing machine and watched it as it spun, it turned out that the tire itself was defective, you could see the tread was uneven at certain points on the tire. Basically the tread had stretched out. If you can get your hands on another set of wheels and tires, might want to try that to see if it resolves the issue. You did also mention that one wheel had an excessive amount of wheel weights, perhaps they added weights to existing weights to balance it out. I know my old Nissan dealer did that in the past and the car shook like no other. Also, our cars use liquid-filled bushings in at least our front control arms, if those are damaged and leaking, they can cause intermittent vibrations as well.

Last edited by InfinitJazz; 03-09-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I know this is probably overly simplistic (maybe already was mentioned in the thread) but did you check the pressure in your tires? Just a few days ago I noticed a steady vibration at 75 mph and my front left tire was at 29 psi (a slow leak likely reemerged) while the rest were at 34 psi. Pumped some air and the vibration was gone.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by dohturdima
I know this is probably overly simplistic (maybe already was mentioned in the thread) but did you check the pressure in your tires? Just a few days ago I noticed a steady vibration at 75 mph and my front left tire was at 29 psi (a slow leak likely reemerged) while the rest were at 34 psi. Pumped some air and the vibration was gone.
All of my tires are at 37 PSI Tired them at 33 with no real change. But should i leave then at 33 for a couple of days and see if it changes. The car calls for 33 PSI..but isn't it more dependent on tire?

See mine isn't a steady vibration..it's all over the place..way to work was bad..way home wasn't that bad..

It seems as if i ease on the highway IE 60 MPH for 30 sec then 65 MPH for 30 sec then go to my normal speed of 74 MPH..it won't do it as bad..but this is not always the case

Thanks everyone for your help. Although it sucks i have found no solution..at least you guys are giving me some more things to look at..goes into shop tomorrow...will update if they find anything...i have a feeling they aren't going to find anything but who knows

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 03-09-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If it can't be found inductively (your trip to the shop), try deductively: take on someone's offer to use their wheels/tires instead of your own and see if it makes a difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway