I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
What's even more strange? It barley did it at all today. I went home at lunch to grab something and it was only doing it a slight amount in the wheel..at other points i had it to 80 and it was fine...way back to work it was fine besides a few rough spots. Left work to come home and it was vibrating like usual but for only maybe a mile then it stopped...drove an exit past my usual one to try it out longer and was good up at 78 and pushed it to 85 and wasn't that bad

Makes it so much more confusing when it happens one day..and the next it barley does it watch tomorrow it will be terrible again..ahh!
Exactly what happens to me also, it drives me nuts. I've been tempted to change out my bushings since these things tend to change characteristics when heated up, cooled down, stretched, and even sprayed on once in awhile, when I wash my car.

FYI to help you narrow down on some things, I've changed all four wheel bearing, I have new tires, balanced, wheel alignment, hubcentric rings for my aftermarket wheels.

In the near future, i'm about to change brakes/rotors(since I need new ones anyways), and rod/arm bushings, and of course another alignment after installing bushings(what a friggin hassle). Worst comes to worst, I'll see if I can swap wheels with the same tire sizes/specs since any change in sizes/specs might alter the alignment or geometry of the car.

After that...I think I'll just give up if i still have the shakes.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
try to use another rims

Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
why dont u just take the dealer people for a ride and show them up front!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by djfarhan
why dont u just take the dealer people for a ride and show them up front!
Already brought it to them and it didn't happen for them...just my luck

I am done with the dealership after this last fiasco..car just wasn't meant to be mine..

Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
have your camera running everytime you drive now in the beginning, as soonb as it happens, record it and post it on youtube.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 PM
I just tried to move the front tires to back and back to front to see if there was any difference..nope

Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I would seriously try to seek out a fellow G driver in your area to borrow a set of wheels for a week. Hands tired? That is some serious shake! Never had a wheel balance shake that bad. Not sure how close 1st gen is compared to 2nd gen, but from what I have read 1st gen problems with the compression rod has similar symptoms to yours.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
^ i dont get how it happens so often and the one time you take the dealership ppl with u and it doesnt happen, thats just ****in crazy

Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I would seriously try to seek out a fellow G driver in your area to borrow a set of wheels for a week. Hands tired? That is some serious shake! Never had a wheel balance shake that bad. Not sure how close 1st gen is compared to 2nd gen, but from what I have read 1st gen problems with the compression rod has similar symptoms to yours.
I am trying to find someone with a set of wheels...

Could i try a 16 inch rim and tire? I sold my old 98 GP to my aunt and those have a 16 inch rim and tire..i could steal her car for a few hours and switch them to mine..could i go that?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
seems like your rims are bent!

try to use another rims, not the tyres!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by harp00n
seems like your rims are bent!

try to use another rims, not the tyres!
But wouldn't the two different roadfroce machines i used say my rims were junk?

When i move the front wheels to the back and back to front..it still did it..so i have more than 1 bent rim? I find that hard to believe especially after 2 roadforce machines later

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 04-28-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Not necessarily. From what i understand with the Hunter RFB machines, they can detect the high and low points, but not necessarily a bend.

It will calculate/compensate for any irregularities as much as it can, better than a standard balancing machine, but it will not fix a problem caused by a damaged rim.

I ran on a (hardly noticeable) bent forged rim. The RBF helped lessen the vibrations, but it wasn't until i had the wheel fixed that everything went back to normal.

I suggested this once before, and i'll say it again... try a different set of wheels and make sure:
- They're hub-centric, if not, make sure the rings are for your vehicle
- The wheels are round and true, with decent tires
- You're using the proper lugnuts

Have you determined that the vibration is truly random? Or does it happen within the same speed-range/road conditions?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
Before he got his engine fixed, it sounded pretty random... Maybe now it might be only at certain speeds?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by jake_91306
Before he got his engine fixed, it sounded pretty random... Maybe now it might be only at certain speeds?
Yeah..65-80 now..don't want to take the car over 80 just yet.

I am having a reputable tire shop in my area who have been around for 70 years look at it tomorrow..they don't do roadforce but all those guys have been in the business for 30+ years and never needed a roadforce machine. People who go there rave about the place..should have been my first stop..

I found a pattern today. So driving at 70 MPH it does it bad..about 5 seconds later it slows down and smooths out as well as the seats not vibration...it's smooth for 5 seconds and then it works its way back up to bad again..this repeated the entire time. 5 seconds of bad vibrations...5 seconds of smooth again...WTF? This happened after i moved the front wheels to the back and back to front..

Or does it happen within the same speed-range/road conditions?
Same speed range...i use to think it was the road but what i discovered today was not the case

Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I also found out another pattern...right at 40 if you turn the wheel about a 1/4 of the way in each direction slowly..you can feel the wheel vibrate going back to center not as bad as on the highway but you can still feel it a little. This as well as 5 seconds of vibration and 5 seconds of smooth on the highway as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway