I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my car for 8 years and had many vib issues. The first is that your tires will cause a vib after 5 - 8 thousand miles. Every tire brand I have ever had begin to start cupping and cause a vib / rumble.

I never read if you REPLACED your rotors or not. I had a brand new set of rotors cause intermittant vibs at highway speeds. Everyting you have described (except heat) happened to me with 1 warped rotor.
I had a brake hose collapse inside and cause the caliper to not release pressure so the bake dragged slightly. This caused heat.
I really feel for you. I had a grinding sound on startup that cost me hundreds and many visits to the dealer, with many parts replaced under warranty. Turns out the A/C clutch makes a normal grinding sound on startup.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by nukchew
I have had my car for 8 years and had many vib issues. The first is that your tires will cause a vib after 5 - 8 thousand miles. Every tire brand I have ever had begin to start cupping and cause a vib / rumble.

I never read if you REPLACED your rotors or not. I had a brand new set of rotors cause intermittant vibs at highway speeds. Everyting you have described (except heat) happened to me with 1 warped rotor.
I had a brake hose collapse inside and cause the caliper to not release pressure so the bake dragged slightly. This caused heat.
I really feel for you. I had a grinding sound on startup that cost me hundreds and many visits to the dealer, with many parts replaced under warranty. Turns out the A/C clutch makes a normal grinding sound on startup.
Every tire? Have never heard this before with these cars at all. The ones on there now are cupping bad...wish i had $800 to get some nice michilins instead of these yokohamas

Never replaced rotors...was going to do it but no more $$ to put into car unless i know 100% what the issue is...still plan on selling..but have to wait till after winter till i have more saved up...Want a newer F150 now. Love the G..but these vibrations just make the car feel like a **** box on the highway...sucks..does not feel like a luxury car at all. Was going to look into car more but hurt my knee bad last week..can't do much now

Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm also having the worst of luck figuring out on what's causing the shakes. I've checked all bolts, swapped wheels, removed spacers, retorqued spacers, new wheel bearings

After visually inspecting behind the wheel on everything and anything that looks odd, I did noticed that my brake pads are pretty worn out...about 1/8" or less left. I've also noticed that braking moderately from the shaking speeds stops the shakes but I couldn't be certain since the speed also decreases pretty quickly. Even light braking slows my car down pretty quick

New brake pads are schedule to come in next week so I'll keep everyone updated. If this doesn't solve the problem, I'll try changing the lower control arm bushings.I don't think it's the rotors since I don't really have pulsating in my brake pedal.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
If you have to replace 1 thing..which would you replace? Breaks? Or bearings? No humming mind you but right rotor is a good 60 deg higher than the other side after driving around. Vibs come and go and also do it in N so i doubt it's trans and i replaced diff fluid 3 months ago..no metal shavings ect. So it's somewhere in the car..i just have no clue what to replace...2 dealrs and 2 tire shops didn't help. Nissan tells me it's wheels and tires..yet MRR's with Hankooks did exact same pattern only worse and used continentals did exact same thing but worse on my stock wheels

So to break it down 1 more time:

-Vibs for 10 seconds then is smooth for about 5-8 seconds and this pattern goes on and on
-starts at about 68mph all the way until about 90mph.
-Vibs in wheel as well as seats (Does it in N as well as D so i doubt it's transmission but who knows)
-right front breaks and hub are much hotter than others (yet nissan said don't worry about temp)
-Wheel shudders in AM when cold when turning right/left but when warm this goes away
-no humming or bearing noise. Does squeak when cold however if turning right NOT left (haven't heard it in a few days however)

ugh
Have you rode SAFELY without each of the front brake calipers yet? I'm wondering if your steering rack could be causing problems too.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Been traveling a lot on the same highway lately for work...and the vibrations aren't as bad in the wheel anymore..but still pretty bad in both seats..still comes and goes

Always noticed as well it seems like there is a grinding feeling when going down hill..very strange..still dumping it to get a TL..mind is made up..just figured if anyone has ever heard of this or had this happen

Old 11-20-2012, 02:15 AM
another update for those who care...think i found the issue...has to do with steering..90% sure..maybe the rack. when cold and driving 40..moving wheel from side to side slow produced shutter in the wheel when it goes back to center..but goes away when cold. Feels like what i feel on highway. Will do some more tests to confrim. May order a new rack...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Did you have anymore progress on this?
I experience the same issue not as bad as yours however.
Once I hit around 65 I get a very constant pattern of vibration in my steering wheel.
A shudder for about 3 seconds, then no shudder for 5 seconds, then shudder again. Same pattern for the duration of my highway drive. Im not worried just cruising around, but as Im planning on doing some track events soon, the last thing I need is a dodgy steering rack coming out of a corner.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Rcity
Did you have anymore progress on this?
I experience the same issue not as bad as yours however.
Once I hit around 65 I get a very constant pattern of vibration in my steering wheel.
A shudder for about 3 seconds, then no shudder for 5 seconds, then shudder again. Same pattern for the duration of my highway drive. Im not worried just cruising around, but as Im planning on doing some track events soon, the last thing I need is a dodgy steering rack coming out of a corner.
no chance whatsoever with the issue...once i hit 71 mph...it starts..stay below that speed..it's usually fine unless going downhill. Going downhill is worse even at 65-70 mph.

completely stumped and i will never find the issue as i have given up and so has the dealer. Hopefully i can dump the car in spring but who knows. I am so use to it by now. That is not having a smooth ride on the highway.

I think a 1946 WW2 jeep would be smoother at this point

Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Damn. A buddy of mine said it seemed like a sway bar issue but idk I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread I only saw a few things you posted as plausible issues. Good luck on the new car. What are you thinking of getting

Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Damn. A buddy of mine said it seemed like a sway bar issue but idk I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread I only saw a few things you posted as plausible issues. Good luck on the new car. What are you thinking of getting
was going to get a 13 altima last fall..but the dealer lied to me so i walked out....sucks but whatever. Have no clue what i want. maybe a new accord come spring/summer. I will have to trade my car in becasue no one will buy it with the vib issues.

it's amazing how 2 dealerships and 1 independent mechanic can't find the issue...i just chalk it up as a haunted car i guess. They all feel the vibration.but say everything is fine...which it isn't...frustrating

Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Get on that evo game.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Get on that evo game.
Not my cup of tea. Want something bigger

Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
another update for those who care...think i found the issue...has to do with steering..90% sure..maybe the rack. ... Will do some more tests to confrim. May order a new rack...
no chance whatsoever with the issue...
completely stumped and i will never find the issue as i have given up and so has the dealer. ...
SO you confirmed it's not the steering rack then?

Have you checked torque on the subframe bolts where they attach to the unibody?

I can't recall, but I seem to remember a consideration about the driveshaft support bearing. Was that eliminated as well?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Did any of the mechanics ride in the the car to confirm the issue or did you just drop it off each time and tell them whats wrong with it? Something doesn't add up when no less then 3 certified mechanics can't diagnose a vibration.

The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
... Something doesn't add up when no less then 3 certified mechanics can't diagnose a vibration.
Yuh think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway