I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by My Key
does the inside of any of your tires look like this? i'm starting to get weird vibrations...

this is what happened to me. I couldnt figure it out either. Suspension is fine, alignment seemed fine, wheels are fine, tires are balanced, and nothing is broken. Then the 2nd mechanic told me it was an uneven wear from the inner wall of the front tires (done by the previous owner of the tires/wheel combo). He told me to drive on the tires for a while and let it feather in to my vehicles driving condition and it should be gone little by little.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Anton_Chigurh;5719829]Intermittent steering wheel vibrations

check for steel belt movement...sometimes after hitting a real bad hole the steel belt will move...jacking it up one corner and check one tire by slowly spinning it by hand and watch the outer and inner edge of tire....I had one years ago nobody could find it until one day I was changing the oil and I noticed a slight bulge on one lower spot on tire...had it removed and then it was really obvious..new tire, problem gone.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinn
this is what happened to me. I couldnt figure it out either. Suspension is fine, alignment seemed fine, wheels are fine, tires are balanced, and nothing is broken. Then the 2nd mechanic told me it was an uneven wear from the inner wall of the front tires (done by the previous owner of the tires/wheel combo). He told me to drive on the tires for a while and let it feather in to my vehicles driving condition and it should be gone little by little.
It turned out to be a bad tire. i was getting tread separation and add in a huge bump from pothole resulted in that. Not safe to drive on, by the way.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
[QUOTE=slim17265;6131122]
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
Intermittent steering wheel vibrations

check for steel belt movement...sometimes after hitting a real bad hole the steel belt will move...jacking it up one corner and check one tire by slowly spinning it by hand and watch the outer and inner edge of tire....I had one years ago nobody could find it until one day I was changing the oil and I noticed a slight bulge on one lower spot on tire...had it removed and then it was really obvious..new tire, problem gone.

Yeah i can't notice a thing..nor could the 4 mechanics that i brought it to..all had different answers of what it could be...i am selling it....can't dump anymore $$ into it and not know if it will fix issue or not...but i think i am going to wait until after this winter to sell to save up some more $$ for a new F-150...i am getting a truck/SUV when i sell this thing in another 3-4 months...hopefully..wish i had more $$ but times are rough

Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Just an update:

Still does it. I guess i am stubborn because i keep thinking that one day it will be fixed..yet there is nothing else to really do unless i want to start replacing random parts. The front tired have heel/toe wear a lot more than rears...so it's choppy when you run your hand in the opposite direction..but all tires even brand new..do the same thing so i wish that was the answer but it's not.

I noticed something today too...it vibrates differently when going downhill. Like it's a little less spaced vibrations in wheel and seat..if that makes any sense. Almost like turning up a massage chair to a higher setting

Maybe ill get a 5th opinion? :/

Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM
don't remember if i asked you yet, but have you checked the inner control arm bushings?

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...-replaced.html

Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
don't remember if i asked you yet, but have you checked the inner control arm bushings?

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...-replaced.html
All 3 ppl i brought it too check this and may other things..said car is in perfect shape..until you drive it on highway

Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
a lot of people check things, but if they don't know what they're looking for, then its moot point.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
a lot of people check things, but if they don't know what they're looking for, then its moot point.
When i was under there they looked fine...everything looks fine..wish i could just find something wrong

Old 09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
When i was under there they looked fine...everything looks fine..wish i could just find something wrong
I read the first and last page of this thread. Here's what I can add:

Bushings can be bad though visually inspect as OK. I think it's a good rule of thumb to refresh bushings sometime between 80-110K miles.

Popping noises while turning and parked are indicative of a bad ball joint. Shaking while turning on the interstate is another bad ball joint indicator.

At this point you need to get under there with a crowbar and check for bad joints and bushings.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
I read the first and last page of this thread. Here's what I can add:

Bushings can be bad though visually inspect as OK. I think it's a good rule of thumb to refresh bushings sometime between 80-110K miles.

Popping noises while turning and parked are indicative of a bad ball joint. Shaking while turning on the interstate is another bad ball joint indicator.

At this point you need to get under there with a crowbar and check for bad joints and bushings.
2 dealers said ball joints and bushings are all fine. It doesn't shake when turning on highway...turning on highway makes it better actually

Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Where you located in MA?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Where you located in MA?
Worcester area

Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Would love to drive your car but you're too far away

My car vibrates like crazy on the highway without an extremely shaky steering wheel. I don't know what the problem is..

Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm dealing with something similar.

Speeds over 60 if I change lanes right or exit right, there is a rotational noise/vibration from the front end. Straighten the wheel or change lanes left and there's no issue. Slight vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel. Quite annoying. Just had the left front bearing replaced along with SPC upper arms and there is no discernable difference. Wheels and tires rotated and a full 4 wheel alignment with no effect. It goes back for more diagnosis tomorrow.

We'll see I guess. I could live with it easily, but I don't feel like I should have to seeing as I just bought the dang thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway