I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My money's definitely on brakes, followed by the wheel bearing. If your brakes are seizing up then you might be able to tell just by jacking up the front end of the car and comparing the resistance in spinning the two front wheels. Of course I've never tried this on an AWD before.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
^^^ Thats what i am thinking. The only thing that doesn't makes sense though is when the vibrations leave the wheel..it goes to seat..then from seat back to wheel. It's so strange. If it was front brakes..or front anything..it shouldn't go into the seat at all..

Also what goes against brakes is turning left or right at 40 mph when car is cold or just starting off. There is a shudder when moving the wheel from left to right. Did this with my tires now..and old hankooks....it's like its the rack, bearings and brakes all at the same time

So hard to pinpoint with all of these random symptoms...

But the heat thing is not right....does anyone have a temp gauge that they can measure their hub and rotor after driving for me to compare numbers??

Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
68 deg difference from base of rotor right where it meets the hub..212..other is only about 150ish

Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ in that case kami might be right and might be a bad/sticking caliper pistons or wheel bearing

Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ in that case kami might be right and might be a bad/sticking caliper pistons or wheel bearing
Something is causing so much heat. you can feel it on your legs when you walk within 5 ft..you can feel other side..but much more. Today as well i had windows down leaving work...could hear a scraping when i put on brakes..very faint..but went away after car was warmed up

Aug 15th is my appt at the Nissan dealer..until then i am really avoiding driving on highway..sooner or later something is going to fall off or melt..These temps have prob been going on since u bought the car 7 months ago..who knows..this may not even be the cause but i hope it is

If anyone has an Infrared thermometer that they can read numbers on where rotors and hub meet as well as caliper and hubs..it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 08-03-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 PM
So i notice a noise now. I have never heard it before until i started my new job. On way home i drive down hill with big guard rails on side. Well it projects sound really well. When car is cold...going around the bend to the right you can here a high pitched metal on metal..like pad or something scraping..when wheel goes strait it' fine..back to right you can hear it..but it only happens like first 10 min when car is cold..after you can't hear anything..hmmm

Also the past 2 days the diff in temps haven't been that big as before..now i am even more stumped..goes in on monday one last time...

Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Noise is lasting longer now when turning right in morning..still stops after like 10 min

I will know Tuesday if i get to keep it..or sell it...judgement day. Going for a ride with tech when i get there monday morning..going to tell him about noise, temps and turning wheel makes it better..ugh i hope they can find it...

I am getting my hopes up that it will be fixed next week..but i know i shouldn't be

Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 PM
^ definitely keep us posted and if they dont figure it out just get rid of it and move on imo!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 PM
^ definitely keep us posted and if they dont figure it out just get rid of it and move on imo!
I will be moving on to most likely a 1st gen sedan if it's not fixed..but i really don't want to lose all of the features i have

Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Man, i REALLY hope things go well for ya,, this week... I hope this Nissan tech brings his " A " game,,, from all your observations, it sounds like it could be lots of things going on at same time,,, unwanted friction from somewhere..... gl.....

Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Triton3.5
Man, i REALLY hope things go well for ya,, this week... I hope this Nissan tech brings his " A " game,,, from all your observations, it sounds like it could be lots of things going on at same time,,, unwanted friction from somewhere..... gl.....
Since i know the owner and i have met the tech before at the course i golf at..they seem great. Talked to me for about 35 min about all my issues and to set up this appt. I have all my observations i am going to tell him and we will see how it goes. Heat, vibs coming and going, shudder in am..noise in am ect. It's something..this isn't a ghost problem..if this dealer can find the issue ( i hope) that infiniti dealer is going to hear it...big time

Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you ever had the drive shaft removed? i know the two drive shaft peaces are balanced and if you flip the yolk the other way around it will give of lots of vibrations, I had that problem before

Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
So it's tires. Nissan drove my car..felt it. Then drove an 08 on the lot and it was smooth..put those wheels on my car and it was smooth as could be. So it's tires. Well when i bought my hankkoks and new wheels, i still had vibration..but i found out today that my hankooks have runout and there is something wrong with them so i am trying to contact hankook reguarding the issue

Anyone know of any good used tire sites? Looking for cheap tires to see if it fixes it and then go from there

I found a website with eagle RSA's..the ones that came stock on car for $140 for 4.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM
^ firstly congrats on confirming this but its weird that your new tires had the same problem anyways why do you want buy cheap used tires to "try" if youre saying that swapping out your wheels at the dealership solved the problem.

just do it right and get new good tires, Falkens 452s have been great to me over the years.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
^ firstly congrats on confirming this but its weird that your new tires had the same problem anyways why do you want buy cheap used tires to "try" if youre saying that swapping out your wheels at the dealership solved the problem.

just do it right and get new good tires, Falkens 452s have been great to me over the years.
See i am not 100% sure it's the tires because it still could be the wheels..they said they think it's the tires as they have had issues with nissans and have heard of infinitis not liking Yokohama. I am sure it's the tires..but on the off chance it is the wheel..spending 500+ would not be good. I can get the rsa's for 200 shipped and get at least 6 months out of them..i would drive my car off a cliff if i got brand new tires that didn't fix it even though they should..if that makes any sense lol

And i don't have the 500+ right now...i can do 200...but not 600 ect..it's going to be a rough next few weeks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway