I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway

Intermittent steering wheel vibrations and seat vibrations. Seems to be worse going down hill as well as taking on/off ramps. When the car is cold and you turn the wheel all the way to the right you can feel and hear a slight "pop" and going past 80 my seat vibrates a good amount as well as passengers can feel the humming in their seat. Did it with old tires as well as new tires and 4 balances later with road force it has been no help. The other day it barley did it. Today it did it the whole time. There's no way a tire would be in balance one day and not the other..

Of course the dealer could not duplicate yet i duplicate every time i drive the car. I want them to check drive shaft, CV joints ect as well as check transmission for any issues but without them feeling the issue ( and of course they don't feel the issue) they wont help me.

I am going to try and unload the engine and trans on highway tomorrow when i feel it happening to see if it's drive train related. I don't know where else to look as the dealer is no help. They couldn't replicate the shudder even though the tech said he felt it and they said the car rode perfect for them. Why doesn't it ride perfect for me and only them.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I am ready to just live with the car like this as i feel like i have no choice. Sucks when you don't want to drive a nice car on the highway anymore

Old 03-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you replaced the brakes lately??? I just replaced my OEM brake pads and rotors and lines and let me tell you aside form being night and day performace wise its sooo much smoother! a lot of vibrations I used to feel have gone away! I cant wait to get rims next week with new tires and see how it feels!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Anton, sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the car. I'll throw in a few more ideas -- hopefully you get this figured out soon!

- Bad engine mounts?
- Perhaps the tires themselves are just made to feel the road more?
- Damaged wheels, tire balancing can only do so much, sometimes if the wheel is bad this may cause it, too.
- Are you on OEM wheels? If aftermarket, perhaps you're missing hubcentric rings?
- Popping noises usually mean suspension related, although you said the dealership already checked everything i am wary that they did. Check the endlinks or bushings. Perhaps even get the steering rack looked at.
- Have you tried a different dealership and/or alignment shop?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Anton, sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the car. I'll throw in a few more ideas -- hopefully you get this figured out soon!

- Bad engine mounts?
- Perhaps the tires themselves are just made to feel the road more?
- Damaged wheels, tire balancing can only do so much, sometimes if the wheel is bad this may cause it, too.
- Are you on OEM wheels? If aftermarket, perhaps you're missing hubcentric rings?
- Popping noises usually mean suspension related, although you said the dealership already checked everything i am wary that they did. Check the endlinks or bushings. Perhaps even get the steering rack looked at.
- Have you tried a different dealership and/or alignment shop?

-I am going to check the engine mounts but i have no idea where they are located.
-My old tires as well as these do this. These yokohamas got amazing reviews and no one complained about what i am dealing with so idk
-I am on OEM wheels
-The popping noise is only felt when it's cold out..when it warms up its fine so by the time i get to the dealer..they cant find/hear it.

I know the dealer didn't really even check anything because they could not replicate the issue. They said they drove it around all day and felt none of the issues i complained about. I am going to try and go to an alignment shop and have them look over everything even if i have to pay.

No point in bringing it to the dealer if they can't even feel the issues i am having because they won't look into it

Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I just spent an hour under the car looking for any possible issues. Bother drive shafts have some play in them but i believe that normal because you can move the tires some while in park when it is jacked up.

Still cant find transmission or motor mounts

All of the CV boots and suspensions couplings and rubber looks fine as well. I did notice on one back tire they put a 50g weight on the inside of the tire..that's a lot for one tire i believe.

I think i am going to buy the Haynes repair manual so i can find these mounts.

Also going to bring it to NTB to look over all the things that i wanted Infiniti to look over

Old 03-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
some of your symptoms are normal. vibration in the seat and shaking of the passenger seat is normal. intermittent vibrations could be normal if it is from road surface aberrations. It is frustrating though when you have a problem that is hard to reproduce for the dealer. Did they give you a loaner and did you experience anything in it?

Unless your problems are constant, I would rule out the mounts, the tires, and even the suspension. Problems with those do not come and go. Since people do have shudder with the auto, that could be a possibility.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Did they give you a loaner and did you experience anything in it?
They gave me a 09 G37x. Made the same trip to work and back and no vibrations what so ever. Had it at 90 and it was so dam smooth. Much better than mine. Steering wheel was like i was floating on a cloud. There were some vibrations in my seat but i know some are normal for any car due to road conditions ect. Taking the same on and off ramp there was no rubbing vibration that i feel with mine as well. Something is up but i am afraid i will never find the issue. I am braining it to NTB this week to have them check steering and suspension components. I know Infiniti didn't check a thing because they didn't even charge me anything even though i said i would pay $120 diagnostic fee for them to look.

I had my mother drive my car on the highway while i was in passengers seat. It was vibration a ton in that seat even with me in it. Very annoying but thank god i am the driver lol

If NTB says everything checks out i am just going to live with it. It sucks but what can you do. I am not going to balance anymore until i do a tire rotation in about 4,000 miles.

I know it's not brakes as i get no vibrations when breaking and transmission wouldn't cause steering wheel to vibrate but it may cause seats to vibrate

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 03-05-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM
OK, that does sound wrong then. Personally, I think ntb hires a bunch of low grade techs and I would never trust them to trouble shoot that kind of problem. Is there another infiniti dealership you can go to? Or even a Nissan dealership?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:37 PM
OK, that does sound wrong then. Personally, I think ntb hires a bunch of low grade techs and I would never trust them to trouble shoot that kind of problem. Is there another infiniti dealership you can go to? Or even a Nissan dealership?
I would try a Nissan dealer. I just don't want to take it to any Infiniti dealer as there is no way they are going to look at it without replicating the issue. It would just be another wasted trip and a waste of gas. I told the dealer i went to to look over the front steering and suspension and that i will pay the $120 for them to look over and they said ok. They called later that day and said that they didn't charge me anything because they didn't find anything. I said did they actually look at it? And all he said was that they couldn't replicate the issue when the drove it 4 separate times that day. The tech who i rode along with said since i am near the end of my warranty, he will look over a few more things for me. yeah ok..that's why they didn't charge me. What dealer do you know that looks over a car for a whole day and charges nothing.

Watch, ill bring it in after my warranty expires and they will find whats wrong.

I am going to wait another month to bring it in again unless it gets worse. I am keeping a log starting tomorrow to see if i can pin point the issue and when it occurs the most and then bring the log with me to either the dealer or someone else. I never trust anyone else doing work to my car or looking for something wrong.

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 03-05-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I would do as much investigation as you can on your own. You may have more than one issue going on. If I were you, look under the car and see if anything is amiss ie. no oil on shocks, exhaust on all hangers and not loose, sway bar links, etc, etc. BTW, I just peeked at my engine bay and spotted two engine mounts, one on each side/bottom of the engine sitting on the subframe. They are circular, like the engine sitting on steel cups facing down, sitting on rubber discs.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I would do as much investigation as you can on your own. You may have more than one issue going on. If I were you, look under the car and see if anything is amiss ie. no oil on shocks, exhaust on all hangers and not loose, sway bar links, etc, etc. BTW, I just peeked at my engine bay and spotted two engine mounts, one on each side/bottom of the engine sitting on the subframe. They are circular, like the engine sitting on steel cups facing down, sitting on rubber discs.
Hmm ill take a look tomorrow..are they closer to the front of engine or closer to the back?

I was under the car for an hour today checking everything and trying to find transmission mount. All buffers/couplings looked fine. No leaks, both drive shafts have slight play in them but i believe that's normal as yo can move the wheel somewhat when park and it's jacked up.Nothing seemed loose ect

Old 03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you checked your wheels? My bet is on a bent wheel or damaged tranny/motor mount. Tranny mount is easy to spot, it's at the very end of the tranny where it's bolted to the car. You'll see it.

Motor mounts are harder and not really sure how to tell you to find them. Any Nissan mechanic would know. Ask the dealer to check them.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Here is the drivers side motor mount. YOu can actually reach down and touch it and feel the rubber under the metal cup. It is roughly in the middle of the engine on both sides. Of course, I an aftermarket intake so maybe I have more room to see it.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
I think i am going to buy the Haynes repair manual so i can find these mounts.
If it helps any, no need for the Haynes, you can refer to the FSM. I have the '07 one on my site -- http://gshack.org/?p=90

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
If it helps any, no need for the Haynes, you can refer to the FSM. I have the '07 one on my site -- http://gshack.org/?p=90

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am running out of ideas of what my vibrations are caused by on highway