DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 10-14-2012 | 05:18 PM
FYI, target is 650

If the pedal reset doesn't do anything immediately, they you're not doing it right or you have a TB fault. The former is more likely.

Old 10-15-2012 | 07:51 AM
Yeah it is 650. But even if you do it right it doesn't alwayswork. I did it lots of times as soon as you turn off the car it goes back over 1k

Old 10-15-2012 | 09:42 PM
Yeah, i had that problem for 6 months, i can do the re-lean from memory.

However, i did find that the reason it doesn't remember is voltage related. If it's not high enough, it will not write to memory and the idle will revert to it's previous state after a restart.

Turn off all you can and make sure your battery is in good condition and charge, it will remember the new low idle.

Old 11-19-2012 | 10:35 PM
I'm a perfectionist. And like many owners here, I notice every single inconsistency and want my G running perfectly.
I've had the RPM drop and surge at stoplights for about a year now....bugging the hell out of me.
I thought it was the Florida heat with the running air condition or maybe a battery issue.
Read all the posts and cleaned the throttle bodies yesterday.
Fixed the RPM surge right away. No problems, no erratic RPM's, no engine warning lights. Drove the car on 4 different trips yesterday to confirm.
Followed Q8's directions exactly.
Did not disconnect battery; did not disconnect harness.
Fabulous DIY. And my dealership avoidance continues.....
WOT! WOT!

Old 11-20-2012 | 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
Yeah, i had that problem for 6 months, i can do the re-lean from memory.

However, i did find that the reason it doesn't remember is voltage related. If it's not high enough, it will not write to memory and the idle will revert to it's previous state after a restart.

Turn off all you can and make sure your battery is in good condition and charge, it will remember the new low idle.
OK, If this is true, it would be a major revelation for those having trouble with it. It always seemed somewhat random with who did and who did not have issues. It is totally plausible that by the time the cars that need their TBs cleaned get to that point (because apparently not all cars do), that they also have worn batteries and/or grounding degradation such that the peak voltage required isn't quite there. It definitely would be great to have conclusive followup on this idea, as it could help a boatload of frustrated people here. Thanks for the contribution!

Old 11-20-2012 | 07:48 AM
Nap
does anyone know the Nissan part number for the o-ring seal between the TB and the plenum?

Old 11-20-2012 | 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
OK, If this is true, it would be a major revelation for those having trouble with it. It always seemed somewhat random with who did and who did not have issues. It is totally plausible that by the time the cars that need their TBs cleaned get to that point (because apparently not all cars do), that they also have worn batteries and/or grounding degradation such that the peak voltage required isn't quite there. It definitely would be great to have conclusive followup on this idea, as it could help a boatload of frustrated people here. Thanks for the contribution!
I've had plenty of other miscellaneous clues as to voltage being the problem as well, so hopefully someone will successfully make use of this, i'd love to help someone out troubleshooting if they need it.

Old 12-30-2012 | 03:39 PM
Finally did this while changing the spark plugs. The car has 90k miles. Thankfully no codes and no issues. I did not disconnect any harnesses or move the butterfly.

Thanks Q8y!

Old 01-03-2013 | 08:04 PM
Looks like I finally need to bite the bullet and do this. My car keeps stalling on startup. Only problem is it's close to freezing here and the highs for the next week are in the 40's. Hopefully my car actually starts so I can go buy some TB cleaner...

Old 01-03-2013 | 08:11 PM
Correction, I can't even drive my car, it keeps stalling unless I keep on the throttle.

Old 01-03-2013 | 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by surfjax87
Correction, I can't even drive my car, it keeps stalling unless I keep on the throttle.
Have you had that checked by a shop?
That sounds like it may be a different issue.
I can't speak for everyone....but I think the majority of people that performed this procedure never had an actual stall issue.
For me, the rpm's dropped at a stop light to the point of almost stalling, but the rpm's would kick back up.

Old 01-03-2013 | 09:15 PM
My idle is stilly ****ed after cleaning my throttle bodies. While warmed it idles at like 900rpm. Dealer says it needs an ECU for some reason or another. I can't seem to fathom cleaning carbon buildup out of TB's could cause an ECU to need to be replaced ($1400).

I don't know what to do,

Old 01-03-2013 | 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by G Wiz
Have you had that checked by a shop?
That sounds like it may be a different issue.
I can't speak for everyone....but I think the majority of people that performed this procedure never had an actual stall issue.
For me, the rpm's dropped at a stop light to the point of almost stalling, but the rpm's would kick back up.
My idle drops at red lights and has been for the past year or two, but never below about 400 rpm. This just started tonight. It drove fine this morning, at lunch, and on the way home from work. I put in new air filters, but that was a couple weeks ago and it didn't have any problems on my 2000 mile road trip for the holidays.

Old 02-05-2013 | 08:57 PM
Thumbs up Thanks op

Took a chance and cleaned my throttle bodies today on my 08 g35 journey sedan. Used some crc spray and some rags and paper towel. Didnt disconnect any electronics. Moved valves moderately with fingers to clean.

Decided to clean them cause car throttle response was iffy, was getting rpm drop at red lights and warm start ups. After cleaning didnt experience any high idle. Car ran beautifully. No more rough idle or poor response. Such an easy easy procedure not sure how you could possibly mess this up, just be careful when reconnecting all air intake parts to make sure its tight. Thanks for everyone in this threads help.

Old 02-17-2013 | 11:22 AM
okay guys I need a little bit of help. I went thru and cleaned my throttle bodies without disconnecting the battery or the harness. I did open/move the butterfly slightly to clean in/around them. I drove around for a bit and it ran fine but then threw the P0507 code.

I have done the peddle dance couple hundred times without any luck. I did get it once but when I turned the car off and restarted it couple mins later, the light came back on. Last night, I disconnected the battery and both harnesses over night and did the reset/peddle dance today morning without luck. I have finally got the car to idle around ~800rpm, but my CEL light is still on. I'm scared to try the peddle dance again because I finally got the RPM correct. Would driving around for a while make the CEL go away or getting a scanner tool and erasing the code work?

If anyone is in DFW and would like to help me do the peddle dance this afternoon or next couple days, that would be great (just send me a PM).
And if anyone is in Houston and would like to help me next weekend or a weekend after that, PM me. (hopefully I can get it fixed before that)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies