My morning at . GTM!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
yes, TS has done quite a bit to my car too... I wasn’t trying to create a shop vs shop thing though - it’s just that there are several mishaps I’ve heard/read about GTM but not much is ever elaborated on... I imagine it could be because those with less than stellar experiences don’t want to burn bridge?

There are many very vague kudos about GTM - but the several negative issues kinda get swept under the rug. I was hoping someone would shed some light...

I realize Terry would want to drive the car a while before stating opinions entirely ~
First off, I’m not sponsored by anyone so my opinions here are totally mine. Sure, GTM gave me a discount on the installation, but it was by all means not free and writing the check was still painful . Second, I only post this stuff so we as a community, can learn from my experience.

First off … Is it worth it? Right now, I say yes . The car has been driving like a charm … very “stock” feel and very street-able, like it was meant to be boosted. Would I use GTM again for this project? Yes I would because they are highly respected in the VQ world and obviously have the technical capability. Now they have another 5AT HR-TT build under their belt.

There were a few stumbling blocks along the way which is part of the reason my project took so long. It’s no secret that it was very frustrating for me to have my car in the shop for 6 months, but I wouldn’t place all the blame on them or at any other shop that attempted this project for that matter. What was originally learned on their G37 shop car was a great start and we (GTM and I) both thought the kit would transfer right over. In my line of work, we consider this a prototype build which we define as the end of the R&D stage and really the final installation to prove out the manufacturing/installation process. We thought this would be a simple installation. Things took an unexpected wrong turn when they discovered parts did not fit up the same. They had to go back to the drawing board several times to deal with issues learned along the way. By now there was no turning back … so yes, it took about six months to do this build. If I were told up front this would be a six month project I would not have done it. I also believe GTM did not expect to take this long either.

Maybe I’m just being naive, but I do not totally hold this against them because to me, any other shop would go through the same learning curve if the kit did not fit or work right as originally planned. I’m sure the next question asked will be … “would it really take another shop six months to do what GTM has done?” I honestly can’t answer that question because I don’t know what goes on over there and do not know firsthand what they had to go though to get this thing to work.

So back to answering the question at hand, if anyone is considering using them for THIS project and asked for my opinion, I would totally recommend them because I am POSITIVE that GTM learned a lot from this project which would only benefit future customers. After all, wouldn’t you prefer to take your car to someone that has done it before rather than someone who has never done it and have to go through the same learning process?

Now if anyone asks if I would recommend them for a NEW project … I would again first say that they are technically capable. But I would caution that unexpected things can happen … even at GTM. If you use them (or any other shop) be prepared and expect delays if things go south. After all, they are only human and can’t see into the future anymore than we can. Seriously consider this if you are planning on boosting your daily driver like I did. You should ideally have another car to drive around, just in case. If you do have access to a backup car, I would say yes, you should consider GTM for your VQ project.

My word of advice from all this, do your research first and have your goals in hand before you talk to any shop. If your goals are out of reach for now, you can always scale back your project and do them in planned phases as your resources permit. Remember to include “extra” items to your project like sensors, instruments, boost controller etc.

Sorry for making your eyes go

Last edited by terrycs; 12-15-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nicely put. its how i percieved this from the 3rd person point of view.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM

I just woke up with some additional thoughts for anyone thinking about using this kit and/or GTM. You should be aware of a few things:

A) If you have ICC on your 07+, the sensor will have to be either removed or relocated.

B) If you have a non-sport, you may need to spring for a new sport bumper cover to get the bigger opening.

C) You will not have the factory impact beam because the intercooler is so big.

D) The windsheild washer reservoir will need to be removed or relocated for the same reason. At this point, mine has been removed.

E) For what ever reason, GTM did not make me aware of these items at the start of the project or even as they discovered them along the way. I was not aware of their solutions until I called them to check on status. I am perhaps very ****/possesive about my car, but I believe I should have been more involved in the decision before permanent changes were made and not be given an "unveiling" at the end.

Keep in mind, I am still very satisfied with the total outcome, and this is in no way bashing GTM, but this is also a learning experience for them in dealing with ultra picky customers like me.

So if any of these items will be an issue, please work out the details with your choice in shops before diving in. No doubt there will be debate about some of these items and surely the haters will bring this stuff up. Let's keep this thread on topic ... please feel free to start up another thread.

Last edited by terrycs; 12-15-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
So would the engine be totaled if you have a minor accident without the impact beam?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Lets just say the intercooler will be first to go

Long term reliability is yet to be seen, but I am hoping for the best!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
So would the engine be totaled if you have a minor accident without the impact beam?
Dunno, I never tested it for low speed impact resistance.

There have been many posts about this. My personal take is no, the motor will not get totaled because the impact beam is installed across the frame rails which protrude in front of the motor.

Also, the stock impact beam is made of thin wall aluminum to keep the weight down. Inside the impact beam is another web that runs perpendicular to the direction frontal impact. This would essentially provide 3 webs to resist bending.

By comparison the FMIC installed has roughly 21 plates running perpendicular to the direction of frontal impact with webbing in between. Without going through the trouble of calculations, the FMIC in my professional opinion is much more resistant to bending.

The stock impact beam has an advantage of not having a weldment for attachment to the frame rails like the FMIC does. I would say in regards to impact strength, the weld is the weakest point on the FMIC, but there are ways to may it stronger.

In my opinion, the FMIC is just as strong (if not stronger) as the stock impact beam in bending. So here is the kicker … if there IS a low speed impact, most of us would first guess the cost to replace the FMIC would exceed the cost to replace the impact beam and foam in front. I was surprised to hear on Saturday from Mike that the cost to replace the foam and impact beam will also go over $1,000 in parts alone from Nissan. Maybe he can chime in to clarify.

Obviously, the worst case scenario is a high speed impact. Well, the stock impact beam is only designed to withstand maybe 5-10 mph (sorry, I don’t know the U.S. requirements off hand)? So anything over that, the frame rails and engine would take the brunt of the impact anyways.

To help make the go/no-go decision for those asking, simply ask yourself if you plan on making a lot of low speed impacts. If so, this may not be a project you wish to consider.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Foam is EXPENSIVE, but it'll save your butt.

Saved my s2k when I got rear ended...

Old 12-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I don't have the front beam on my car either.

If you really want to have something like that you can always have a shop fab up something to add support and go around the IC.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
thanks for the time in sharing your thoughts and opinions Terry - this is a very informative thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 AM

A few under body shots I took today of the final configuration:

Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks crazy Terry.
Really impressive

Whats the white **** on the exhaust?
Is that for heat? lol

Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
can't you run HFC's with your setup? btw, what size turbos are they?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
can't you run HFC's with your setup? btw, what size turbos are they?
I think he said they recommend against it since they will basically burn themselves up.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont see why not, if its tuned right, you shouldnt see more than 1400 degrees on them.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Here is a quote from Terry's previous post...

"Also ... HFC is not recommended for FI as they can melt or clog up causing excessive backpressure."

Guess you would have to contact GTM or some other shop to get details.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My morning at . GTM!