K, need honest, serious input on the grounding kits...

Old 03-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
do you know what that jolt is that you feel when you go from n/p to d?

its the drive train loading up with the idle torq of the motor. OR its the torq load transferring from the parking cog to the brakes as the park cog is removed from the drive train.

if ur not feeling it, then the torq from the engine is not as great(different RPMS when the clutch packs engage in the tranny), the drive train is already preloaded (parked on a slight hill), tranny oil is at a slightly different viscosity(cold morning starts), the park gear cog that locks the drive train is not under a torq load when its pulled out of the drive train(parking on a hill).

my point here is that there is a Multitude of issues that can related to the torq load that you feel.

the funny thing is, that IF the tranny shift control circuits got more current, and delivered more current to the selinoide actuators that control the hydraulic valves in the tranny, they would react faster, which means a quicker engagement, which would mean more of a jolt on switching gears, not a smoother one

if you feel happy with you mod, then im happy that you feel that way.
Im not the only one that has felt this. Many G37 have as well.
And i have more torque then most of you have, actually i have more than torque than anyone besides terry lol
But i did have a big jot back then before i got this kit.

Adrian, have you felt this. When you shift your car into D you dont feel the jolt, but the car has to be warmed up?

I know i am happy with my mods, thats why im one of the fastest 2nd gens

Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snowcrossmxz,

Since you are an electrical engineer perhaps you should volunteer to test this out for us. You have the skill sets to get it done.

My guess is that this many people cannot be wrong. Perhaps the benefits are being exaggerated a bit, but my guess is that they do in fact exist.

I don't think its to much of a stretch to believe that Nissan doesn't ground these cars as well as they could. I also can fathom that given how much this car relies on its computer system(s) and sensors that communications and processing could in fact be impacted by poor grounding.

I am a network engineer myself with a PC/Server background as well. Grounding certainly matters, the less noise the better. Especially wireless networks. A major challenge we face from time to time is noise created by poorly run/grounded electrical wiring. Tough to track down and it adds just enough noise to make things flaky, but not dead.

I have ordered a set of these. I have to try them out and see if there is anything to this. $100 is fairly trivial and BB seems like a quality individual selling a well made product.

Last edited by chapter29; 03-08-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I have had grounding kits on two vehicles--both, felt it did not do a damned thing and will never be putting one on my G or any future vehicle.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chapter29
snowcrossmxz,

Since you are an electrical engineer perhaps you should volunteer to test this out for us. You have the skill sets to get it done.

My guess is that this may people cannot be wrong. Perhaps the benefits are being exaggerated a bit, but my guess is that they do in fact exist.

I don't think its to much of a stretch to believe that Nissan doesn't ground these cars as well as they could. I also can fathom that given how much this car relies on its computer system(s) and sensors that communications and processing could in fact be impacted by poor grounding.

I am a network engineer myself with a PC/Server background as well. Grounding certainly matters, the less noise the better. Especially wireless networks. A major challenge we face from time to time is noise created by poorly run/grounded electrical wiring. Tough to track down and it adds just enough noise to make things flaky, but not dead.

I have ordered a set of these. I have to try them out and see if there is anything to this. $100 is fairly trivial and BB seems like a quality individual selling a well made product.

that would be a fun weekend. any body have a 5at i can borrow for a weekend?

i have the scopes, i just need a 5at and a dyno

Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chapter29
snowcrossmxz,

My guess is that this many people cannot be wrong. Perhaps the benefits are being exaggerated a bit, but my guess is that they do in fact exist.
LOL - I'd guess this many people can certainly be wrong. When you install a new mod (or buy something new, or whatever) you want it to work and be a good deal. So pretty much everyone is pre-disposed to "feel" results.

Could be you're right about the grounding kits, but that statement isn't a proof point

Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
LOL - I'd guess this many people can certainly be wrong. When you install a new mod (or buy something new, or whatever) you want it to work and be a good deal. So pretty much everyone is pre-disposed to "feel" results.

Could be you're right about the grounding kits, but that statement isn't a proof point
Could be. I am not trying to make a proof point for what its worth. Just giving a perspective.

The only fact that exists at this point is that I am willing to risk $100 to try it out.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

If you were in Cali I'd let you use my 5AT.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm in MA and have the kit installed.

You coming to any local meets this summer?

No, you can't have her for the weekend, but I'll let you have a look-see under the hood, and may even let you touch her a bit with your do-dads and what-have-yous

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
seems like some people that have the BB kit take this very personally ... I think some have confused people's disappointment or negligible post-installation results to some kind of person attack or insult on Black Betty...

For the record, I'm sure black betty is a great person, works hard for the G community, and contributes accordingly ... I'm also pretty sure BB isn't the only person making grounding kits and G35's aren't the only cars they're being installed on...

It's fair game to talk about grounding kits in general as a modification.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 03-08-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by G35Robby
I have no idea honestly. I dont know what much about wires and how much better they are between other materials.

Black Betty also has some high quality wires, some of the best i've seen.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM

hey snowcrossmxz --

when do you worry about ground loops when installing one of these kits?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
seems like some people that have the BB kit take this very personally ... I think some have confused people's disappointment or negligible post-installation results to some kind of person attack or insult on Black Betty...

For the record, I'm sure black betty is a great person, works hard for the G community, and contributes accordingly ... I'm also pretty sure BB isn't the only person making grounding kits and G35's aren't the only cars they're being installed on...

It's fair game to talk about grounding kits in general as a modification.
Yeah, there are certainly some strong opinions here. I suppose it's to be expected. People have installed these kits, come here and talked about what they feel has changed, and then others come in and tell them that they're wrong... what they are feeling is a placebo affect and that it's all in their head.

I installed mine and although I've probably spent $100 on better things in my time... I do feel minor changes have occurred. I don't care how people judge me for that, and I also don't mind if other come along and call me crazy.
I know I've been called worse in my day

I am serious about offering up my G to meters though. As much as anyone else, I'd love to see some scientific facts behind what I have seen change in my G.

Jeremy, aka Black Betty, did a nice job with these and I tip my hat to him.
He offers a good product for a fair price.

Just like I tell the crazies who scream foul and try to take tv shows off the air or Howard Stern off the radio because they saw a boobie or because they don't like him... change the damn channel if you don't like.
If you want a grounding kit and believe in it's benefits, buy one and install it.
If you don't, save your dough.

Opinions are always welcome here, as long as it doesn't get ugly.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Didnt feel a difference with mine.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
oh and for the record, whether i ever get BB wires or not, I don't care, i love our G and think it's already a great car and don't see any significant issues with shifting, etc. I'm curious more than anything about this discussion b/c it's informative, and automotive knowledge is wonderful...

I've been doing a fair amount of google-ing on grounding kit .. most articles/discussions are equally 50/50 split, nothing by way of objectively gathered, scientific data .. wondering if anyone has found a good read on this stuff, thanks!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
from what I have read here, they work best on auto trans cars. I have a Stillen kit, but it's not much.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K, need honest, serious input on the grounding kits...