K, need honest, serious input on the grounding kits...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
LOL - I'd guess this many people can certainly be wrong. When you install a new mod (or buy something new, or whatever) you want it to work and be a good deal. So pretty much everyone is pre-disposed to "feel" results.

Could be you're right about the grounding kits, but that statement isn't a proof point
I agree with you to a point, but in this case, it's not all about feel. It about shift time, or shift delay. I had a noticable delay before I installed the grounding wires from when I hit the paddle to when the car actually shifted, now the shifts are virtually instantanious. The time diference is enough that I imagine I could easily measure it with a stop watch if someone would like some quantitative results... As I mentioned before, even my wife noticed a difference and she didn't even know I changed anything on the car... so there couldn't have been a plecebo effect with her.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by G35Robby
Im not the only one that has felt this. Many G37 have as well.
And i have more torque then most of you have, actually i have more than torque than anyone besides terry lol
But i did have a big jot back then before i got this kit.

Adrian, have you felt this. When you shift your car into D you dont feel the jolt, but the car has to be warmed up?

I know i am happy with my mods, thats why im one of the fastest 2nd gens
Yes, I definitely get a nice jolt when I shift into Drive from Park... You better have your foot on the brake hard or you will might be a big surprise. LOL

I also now get a nice snap from my 1 - 2 and 2 - 3 shifts (particularly the 2 - 3 shift, which has actually given me a slight tire chirp before), since installing the grounding wires, which I didn't get before. It almost too sharp f me sometimes and would be nice if it was a little smoother. Are you seeing this too, Robby?

FYI... Robby. 294 HP & 249 ft-lbs for me.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed mine from Black Betty. I have a 6MT so obvious no comments about the transmission but yes I thought my stereo sounded a bit louder and I have slightly better throttle response. As far as power or mileage increase, I simply havent had the time to see about those things but I highly doubt it. If anything else, I work at a car audio shop and I'm installing my amps soon and now I have the peace of mind that I have good grounds. I would say it is worth the money

Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
^ +1

I have to agree... I installed car audio systems for years and IMO this is a must have mod on todays newer cars if your gonna by running high powered aftermarket amp!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I'm in MA and have the kit installed.

You coming to any local meets this summer?

No, you can't have her for the weekend, but I'll let you have a look-see under the hood, and may even let you touch her a bit with your do-dads and what-have-yous
i am planning ot go to a few. ill bring some gizmo's

problem tho is we need a dyno, where you can shift the car at speed while i can get some readings of the current through both the stock ground points with and with out the wires installed.

honestly tho, i can poke a scope around the engine bay and say ohhh look at the numbers,

but to have a truly real test i need the specs of the circuits in the car, id need to test V, I and R across every loop, under a few different conditions, then do the same tests with the kit installed.

now that i really think about it, i can see why no one has done it, its a big job to do it right and cover all points that the skeptics would bring up.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
seems like some people that have the BB kit take this very personally ... I think some have confused people's disappointment or negligible post-installation results to some kind of person attack or insult on Black Betty...

For the record, I'm sure black betty is a great person, works hard for the G community, and contributes accordingly ... I'm also pretty sure BB isn't the only person making grounding kits and G35's aren't the only cars they're being installed on...

It's fair game to talk about grounding kits in general as a modification.

good point, agreed.

i just like facts, and discution, not trying to put any body down and say they not feeling what they are feeling or that they are not reputable.
sorry if i came off brash wiht any of my posts,
im just an *** some times

Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Snow,
I would suggest (if you're able to) you drive a car with the grounding kit installed already, and then give an opinion. Of course, a back to back comparison would be the best, and maybe even have the other driver take a spin in your car.

I didn't notice my lights brighter etc etc, but that nasty 1/2 shift delay is far better now than before. If I spent my 90 bucks on the kit and that was my only benefit, I'm happy.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
hey snowcrossmxz --

when do you worry about ground loops when installing one of these kits?
umm, if i understand ur question right.
you don't

these kits are for a V drop across other components when one component draws a spike of current,
the cars frame is the ground, and every thing is tied to that conductor at differen points. so at differnt points along that big conductor you will have very small voltage differences as different componets change their current draw.

this usualy doesn't matter because every components usualy has a variable input voltage, and this minimal difference on the ground falls with in that tolerance.

it becomes a problem when you have audio circuits that have poor noise canceling circuits, and that fine difference in the voltage makes it way to the reference voltage in the signal wires when the 2 circuits are pulling their reference voltage from different parts of the cars body, that small difference becomes part of the signal. and you end up hearing it in the speaker

you worry about ground loops when you hear it in the speakers.
and this kit does not fix that problem

Ground Loop Isolators do

i thinks thats what you were asking about right?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by san~man
Snow,
I would suggest (if you're able to) you drive a car with the grounding kit installed already, and then give an opinion. Of course, a back to back comparison would be the best, and maybe even have the other driver take a spin in your car.

I didn't notice my lights brighter etc etc, but that nasty 1/2 shift delay is far better now than before. If I spent my 90 bucks on the kit and that was my only benefit, I'm happy.
thats fair, id want the owner in the car with me tho, i feel weird driving other peoples baby's, if you know what i mean.

also they would have to know how to work a clutch, and none of this "I drove a stick once way back in high school" would cut it

Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
It does make things run more smooth!!!

You can also hit up Sean(SxExCx) he's the main grounding kit guy on here

Old 03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
thats fair, id want the owner in the car with me tho, i feel weird driving other peoples baby's, if you know what i mean.

also they would have to know how to work a clutch, and none of this "I drove a stick once way back in high school" would cut it
If you have a 6MT, I would say that you'd be more likely to get less benefit from the kit than a 5AT owner. I would hope you can drive a 5AT car, and then compare that to one you've driven before (hopefully you've driven one before, if not then you couldn't compare the two fairly). Then you could compare the differences in shift times between the car with the kit and to a car w/o the kit.

For me and most of the 5AT guys, the main benefit we're seeing from the kit is the delay in shift time. For that main reason, the kit's worth it for me. Any other added benefit on may experience (brighter lights, etc) is just an added benefit.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've spent more on private dances... and that chic drank half my champagne.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I've spent more on private dances... and that chic drank half my champagne.
HA guilty

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by san~man
If you have a 6MT, I would say that you'd be more likely to get less benefit from the kit than a 5AT owner. I would hope you can drive a 5AT car, and then compare that to one you've driven before (hopefully you've driven one before, if not then you couldn't compare the two fairly). Then you could compare the differences in shift times between the car with the kit and to a car w/o the kit.

For me and most of the 5AT guys, the main benefit we're seeing from the kit is the delay in shift time. For that main reason, the kit's worth it for me. Any other added benefit on may experience (brighter lights, etc) is just an added benefit.
yes yes good point, and i agree.

i did a ground wire mod to my old car, (5mt), becasue i had some after market audio.

my 6mt is the reason i haven't tried this mod, cuz 90% of the claimed benefits are for shift times. and i know some wires under the hood are not going to make my lazy *** move the stick faster.

thats also why i have not said i have not felt a difference. (i have yet to butt dyno this mod)

i am interested in testing this back to back with a mod installed car and a car with out.

but there is only butt dyno results, id love to stick my scope under Mr. virus's 5at hood and show some #,s that say there is a real difference in this cheep mod,

Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
are people feeling a quicker shift in up-shifting and down-shifting?

or only in one direction?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K, need honest, serious input on the grounding kits...