Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a few more

Attached Thumbnails -t-re.jpg   -t-r.jpg   -takedaresize.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ced357
I want to put up pictures, but I can't figure out how to resize on a mac. I've always been a PC guy and my wife has always been a mac girl. So, when we moved in together what do you think happened? My PC went to that silicon valley in the sky. If anyone knows how to resize on a mac LMK.

Jack, I sent you an email with a question.
To resize on a mac (I have a macbook) open in preview, then select tools -> Adjust Size. Then just adjust the pixels (or I think inches is default).

Where did you get the red rubber that holds attaches the intake tubes to the throttle body?

BTW congratz on joining the Takeda club! Looks sharp... I want the red rubber you have on your intake tube. (That doesn't sound right does it?)

Last edited by jack090; 08-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by jack090
To resize on a mac (I have a macbook) open in preview, then select tools -> Adjust Size. Then just adjust the pixels (or I think inches is default).

Where did you get the red rubber that holds attaches the intake tubes to the throttle body?

BTW congratz on joining the Takeda club! Looks sharp... I want the red rubber you have on your intake tube. (That doesn't sound right does it?)
Thanks Jack,
I found them when I was at pep boys. They have an entire intake section. They had these couplings in 4 colors, Black, Green, Blue and Red, which I thought would look great with the red Takeda sticker. Plus they are a little bit longer then the OEM black ones, which made it a little easier to fit.

I went for a drive earlier and every time I go WOT, people whip their heads around to see what that incredible sound is. Just brings a smile to my face. I love these intakes.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any ideas on whether aFe (Takeda) is planning on fixing this problem for the sedans and selling it as a kit?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borna
Any ideas on whether aFe (Takeda) is planning on fixing this problem for the sedans and selling it as a kit?
I talked with AFE today about the issues Ced had (I didn't have any issues since I had already replaced my tubing). They are getting a G35 in asap to get proper fitment. I will post my images that I made for Ced (in case anyone is interested). It's really not a big deal once you get about a foot of rubber "flexible" tubing (Which you can get just about anywhere especially at auto stores). It's the same kit as a G37, but it's nice to have the flexible tubing so you can bend it and fit it easier.

The last picture is a picture of Ced's engine bay. The first 2 are how I made mine fit.

Attached Thumbnails -dsc_1569.jpg   -dsc_1575.jpg   -takeda4.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice pics, very helpful...thanks Jack.

It would be better to have it come in with perfect fitment from Takeda themselves since aFe is a top intake manufacturer. A lot more people would buy the intakes since they'll have the peace of mind that the parts are of top quality and tested.

Hope the get this fixed ASAP.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Nice pics, very helpful...thanks Jack.

It would be better to have it come in with perfect fitment from Takeda themselves since aFe is a top intake manufacturer. A lot more people would buy the intakes since they'll have the peace of mind that the parts are of top quality and tested.

Hope the get this fixed ASAP.
Ryan said he was getting a G35 to come in. Again you can "almost" get by with stock hoses (in fact they include 2x steel woven hoses with the intake) but I think they are not flexible enough. If you just get a little bit it's a perfect fit. I had the K&N and it was a ROYAL PITA to put heatshields etc.. in. This is a much faster/easier install, about $90 cheaper and sounds better.

Last edited by jack090; 08-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Good to hear, thanks again for the info.
After seeing an AFE intake on my friend's car and also doing some research, I may switch to the Takeda over the R2C. I found out the Takeda doesn't even need heat shields similar to R2C's to keep the intakes cool so that's a benefit.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, after getting the $3 a foot hose from pep boys, it was a cinch. I'm so glad I listened to Jack and didn't return the intake. I took my buddy for a ride today and he can't believe how good the car sounds. He said it was intoxicating.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Good to hear, thanks again for the info.
After seeing an AFE intake on my friend's car and also doing some research, I may switch to the Takeda over the R2C. I found out the Takeda doesn't even need heat shields similar to R2C's to keep the intakes cool so that's a benefit.
What do you mean by "not needing heat shields" with takedas Borna? Aside from the shield by the radiator.. is there something else attributed to Takeda intakes that wouldnt require em?

Originally Posted by ced357
Yeah, after getting the $3 a foot hose from pep boys, it was a cinch. I'm so glad I listened to Jack and didn't return the intake. I took my buddy for a ride today and he can't believe how good the car sounds. He said it was intoxicating.
Congrats!! Im sure it sounds sick!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
What do you mean by "not needing heat shields" with takedas Borna? Aside from the shield by the radiator.. is there something else attributed to Takeda intakes that wouldnt require em?
Well from what I've heard, these stay about as cool as other intakes that do have heat shields. Even Jack said that they were at the same temperature as his K&N with heat shields.

I'm honestly not too sure about it though, I'm still waiting for a definite answer on whether they are good enough without the heat shields or not. Jack also said the guys at aFe were planning on making some shields for these so maybe that'll happen soon and they'll be perfect.
Maybe Jack can have a talk with Ryan and see if they're doing it or not.

I do know that after seeing the quality of a set of aFe intakes a friend of mine has for his car, they seem to be a top of the line product. The sound is great too.
Plus I saw a thread by JLevi on a visit they had to aFe and it seems like they do some proper R&D on their products so I'm hopeful these will be the best intakes for our cars. (other than long tubes like Injen and Stillen Gen3)

We need some temperature tests and some individual dyno's to see if these are as good as they say they are.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I used a infrared thermometer (specially for cars) and my temps where about the same (within +/- 5 degrees) with my K&N that had heat shields and without heat shields. The heat shields don't really help if your moving, since fresh air is coming from where the stock intake took it's fresh air in. The only thing that would benefit is if your city driving all day, and even then heat shields don't help a whole lot then (since they eventually get hot themselves). I was told by AFE that was the reason why they didn't use heatshields in there design, because during the R&D process they found no benefit.

With that being said they are still trying to develop heat shields for our model, but I think that really has to do with marketing, since everyone else has heat shields. (They may make TRUE heat shields, that actually block engine heat). If they do I'm sure you can either order it separate (or they will send previous customers a free set). I'm not sure either, since they aren't done yet.

AFE I have always known to use the highest quality materials, simply because they were the new "guy" on the block, and had to be competitive to everyone else. Funny how they are a lot cheaper than K&N and others.

Last edited by jack090; 08-10-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks again for the info Jack. I'm probably going to join the Takeda train after I deal with my heads/tails.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks again for the info Jack. I'm probably going to join the Takeda train after I deal with my heads/tails.
JUST GET ON IT ALREADY!!! Dont be a slow poke as I am with mods!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I am trying to purchase this via that shopatron site and entered the code THEORY and the price still shows $366.45. I entered the code again and it said the code was already used and could only be used once. Should I be seeing the discounted price of $293?

Also, are these compatible with the GT Spec strut bar?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Takeda (AFE) Short Ram Intake – First Impressions