need ur help on a light weight crank pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
need ur help on a light weight crank pulley

hi fellas how ya doin . .

As titled , i'm planning to get those but i need your help on what's the best on the market.

in fact i don't know much about Crank Pullies, how many are they supposed to be ? and do they come with their belts ?

thx in advance

Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a total waste of money. That being said unorthodox racing makes some really good products

Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Idler Pulley Removal Mod with Pics
that would prob be a good one to do while your at it. That will change you belt size tho.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Just a point of concern:
I can't speak specifically to the VQ (hopefully some one here can), but in other engines (bigger V-8's and longer I-6's) one needs to be very careful when replacing the crank pulley so that you're sure to get a properly damped pulley. In those engines, replacing a damped pulley with a lighter, un-damped pulley may net you a few HP, but it can also destroy the motor.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Not to mention if you cross thread the bolt, you're ****ED. Good luck getting the dealer to warranty any engine problems with that installed.

For the purported "gains," IMO it isn't worth the money and risk involved.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I have read a couple of horror stories form ppl who used AM pulleys and ended up messing up their motors, now even though MOST ppl with VQs have had NO problems with it, even a couple of cases is enough to keep me away from potential havoc they can cause considering the only real benefits is quicker revving(which is nice but not enough to justify possible failures) and almost no to 2whp gain.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Those who ended up with a broken engine, i believe they didn't pick up the best on the market, to me - as you may noticed - i used to ask for the best no matter how much they do go for.
Pulleys in particular, are way sensitive mods, and when you look into those, u shud always ask for the best only.

As u all know, there are cheap pulleys and expensive ones, expensive pulleys do come with a metal sleeve inserted to prevent any leakage issues and hence you are supposed to be fine with. However, i'm not all decided for these yet, so let's see

Last edited by Glover997; 09-12-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM
1) If you under drive, your AC wont be as cold and your lights will be dimmer particularly if your running your sterio, and anything crazy with the stereo is out of the question.
2) The lack of a harmonic absorbing element that is featured on the OEM pulley has the potential of increasing wear and tear on your motor. Vibrations on your crank increase the wear on bearings and such. In the grand scheme of things does this matter? That I cant answer, but are the benefits of lightening that pulley worth the risk of potentially losing a portion of your engines life span?
3) Your really not going to gain any power. Search hard enough and you'll find dyno charts that show that.
4) The benefit of lightening that portion of your drive train is that your engine changes from acceleration to deceleration faster and certainly the other way around. The pulley is substantially less significant than knife edging your crank for example, but it will feel more abrupt when you switch between acceleration and deceleration and again vice versa. IMO that makes for a less smooth daily drive and I wouldn't want that.
5) If your driving an AT, your torque converter basically eliminates what your trying to accomplish.

Long story short, if it's of value to you then go for it. My opinion is that its a waste of money and potentially damaging to your engine. And the main seal is what keeps oil from spilling out, not a sleeve on a pulley.
Good luck!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 AM
^ i swear i won't get em
lol

thx buddy . . thank u all

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 AM
No prob, glad I could help!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
i had a lightweight crank pulley on my acura tl and it greatly helped with ease of revving the engine up. i did not get to dyno it so i don't know what my gains were. as far as overall power i don't think it would free up much horsepower but rather shift the band. if you want to free up horsepower you would need to under-drive your accessories since they are the biggest drag in the loop.

removal of the stock crank was easy for me and putting the new one on was easy. it doesn't come with a belt but unorthodox racing specifies what size belt you need to go and buy to fit with the new pulley.

as far as mods go i would save your money and do this last. i had almost everything short of FI on my acura which is why i did the pulley last.

buy intakes, hi flow cats or headers first.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
i had a lightweight crank pulley on my acura tl and it greatly helped with ease of revving the engine up. i did not get to dyno it so i don't know what my gains were. as far as overall power i don't think it would free up much horsepower but rather shift the band. if you want to free up horsepower you would need to under-drive your accessories since they are the biggest drag in the loop.

removal of the stock crank was easy for me and putting the new one on was easy. it doesn't come with a belt but unorthodox racing specifies what size belt you need to go and buy to fit with the new pulley.

as far as mods go i would save your money and do this last. i had almost everything short of FI on my acura which is why i did the pulley last.

buy intakes, hi flow cats or headers first.
thx buddy i appreciate ur help.
as for intakes,HFC, . . etc. these are already on ma car

thx again

Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Headers on an NA g make no power.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Glover997
thx buddy i appreciate ur help.
as for intakes,HFC, . . etc. these are already on ma car

thx again
ah my bad, i failed to read the sig. definitely do pulleys then to round it out but please do a before and after dyno for us.

Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
Headers on an NA g make no power.
seriously? the stock headers are that well designed? the stillen headers are quoting around 11.5hp (although that may very well be inflated). i would find it hard to believe you'd see no gain with headers if you already have HFCs and a cat back. i suppose the dyno would have to tell all in the end though.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
the 370z NA make good power with Fast intentions Long headers so our motors hsould be able to squeeze out a ~10whp too but cant say for sure since i havent seen any dynos on the 35hr engines (maybe check out the 350z forum)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need ur help on a light weight crank pulley