Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Taking care of Volk's polished lips.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking care of Volk's polished lips.

What's the best way to clean Volk's lip and what wheel product should I avoid using? I've read a lot of horror story with Volk's lip being damage b/c improper care.

One other thing...how can I make the lip more shiny?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I used PoorBoys wheel cleaner and polish on mine.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The volk lips are anodized, so only wheel cleaners that state they are safe for anodizing should be used. Or stick to soap and water. There is no way to make the lips shinier without stripping the wheel down to the bare aluminum, and then polishing the metal to a high level of shine. There are downsides to this though, you'll have to continue to repolish the wheels every few months to keep them looking shiny.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Soap/Water is all I've EVER used on any set of wheels, regardless of whether the lips were clearcoated, anodized, ss, alum, cast, forged, or whatever...

Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Just great...I got another issue here. After washing my volks for the first time, I made sure I dry out as much of the water as I can, but its almost impossible b/c when you drive there will always be some water driping. By the time I got home, it dried up on the lip and the water spots is hard to take out.

How do I avoid getting water spots on the lip and what can I do to get them out?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
scrub real hard lol...i have brake dust baked on my front lips i need to get some of that polish you guys talking about. good luck with gettin your water spots out man ill need it getting the brake dust off

Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by noizedskyline
Just great...I got another issue here. After washing my volks for the first time, I made sure I dry out as much of the water as I can, but its almost impossible b/c when you drive there will always be some water driping. By the time I got home, it dried up on the lip and the water spots is hard to take out.

How do I avoid getting water spots on the lip and what can I do to get them out?
Leafblower. Search it.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by BLacK_G35_CouPe
scrub real hard lol...i have brake dust baked on my front lips i need to get some of that polish you guys talking about. good luck with gettin your water spots out man ill need it getting the brake dust off
Scrubbing hard=permanent hazing. Try a anodizing safe wheel cleaner and or a mild claybar with lots of lube.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Definitely what the others have said - nothing other than soap / water. After you wash your car and dry it up drive it around the block and re-dry if you don't have a leaf blower like me

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
opps haha...would you recommend me a wheel cleaner please? Poorboys sounds good to me unless you say otherwise...thanks, sorry to hijakc the thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 PM
like everyone said .. soap and water only .. i try to clay bar the lip with lots of quick detailer once a month .. after you wash them .. invest in a leaf blower like said above .. my neighbor hooked me up with a mini blower made for motorcycles .. blow off most of the water .. absorb all the water on the inside of the barrel of the rim .. dry with a soft cloth or a quality microfiber .. blow again and dry again

Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Volk anodized lips should NOT be polished. EVER! The manufacturer recommends using mild soap and plenty of water. If you polish the lips, you will remove the anodized finish and the lips will require frequent regular polishing. Not to mention the fact that you'll need to polish all 4 wheels to make them a cosmetic match. Take this advice or suffer the consequences.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by k67p67
Volk anodized lips should NOT be polished. EVER! The manufacturer recommends using mild soap and plenty of water. If you polish the lips, you will remove the anodized finish and the lips will require frequent regular polishing. Not to mention the fact that you'll need to polish all 4 wheels to make them a cosmetic match. Take this advice or suffer the consequences.
Ehhh you might wanna reread. I don't think any is crazy to eccomend randomly stripping that adonizing. What we are saying I'd when you F up your lips THEN th only way yo fix he problem is to strip the adonizing and polish it. Yes its horrible I bought used Volks and had to spend 8 hours doing that and it was not fun at all!

Last edited by AlvinHuyN; 11-06-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Ehhh you might wanna reread. I don't think any is crazy to eccomend randomly stripping that adonizing. What we are saying I'd when you F up your lips THEN th only way yo fix he problem is to strip the adonizing and polish it. Yes its horrible I boggy yes Volks and had to spend 8 hours doing that and it was not fun at all!
Well, three of the first 10 posts refer to polishing the wheels. That's what I was responding to. I read fairly well. While we're on the subject of reading, what the hell does "Yes its horrible I boggy yes Volks..." mean???

Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by k67p67
Well, three of the first 10 posts refer to polishing the wheels. That's what I was responding to. I read fairly well. While we're on the subject of reading, what the hell does "Yes its horrible I boggy yes Volks..." mean???
The 1st post did and everyone that followed told him NOT to use anything other than soap/water

Originally Posted by redlude97
The volk lips are anodized, so only wheel cleaners that state they are safe for anodizing should be used. Or stick to soap and water. There is no way to make the lips shinier without stripping the wheel down to the bare aluminum, and then polishing the metal to a high level of shine. There are downsides to this though, you'll have to continue to repolish the wheels every few months to keep them looking shiny.
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Soap/Water is all I've EVER used on any set of wheels, regardless of whether the lips were clearcoated, anodized, ss, alum, cast, forged, or whatever...
On your question I was typing with my iphone on this forum which I rarely do since it's lame and makes typos like that all the time - however seeing your lack of ability to comprehend the post made by redlude and triple8sol I had to intervene Thank you for your time. And trust me, I have owned 11 sets of wheels on this car alone and Triple8sol has owned well over 15 sets - most are high end JDM wheels like Volks or Works - we don't like polishing them and we definitely don't think anyone else should either - it is HELL

On a bit of an off topic note I have been telling Triple8sol to buy your junction produce sacras. I absolutely think they are amazing deal and you got them FS at an amazing price. I was seriously considering them before I bought my Work Meisters. I honestly do not know how they lasted this long. GL with the sale!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taking care of Volk's polished lips.