Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Calculating Tire Size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calculating Tire Size

Hello,

I have what I hope is an easy question for someone to answer. Calculating what tire size will work isn't exactly my area of expertise. I have searched the forum for this wheel size and offset, but haven't found any promising results.

Without starting the great debate about rep wheels, I was offered a set of XXR 551 wheels for free until I pick up something that I like. These wheels do not have any tires on them.

The wheels are 18x9.75 +22.

My car is Stock ride height. I've seen a few g35 with these wheels.

What size tires would work and would I require a spacer.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails Calculating Tire Size-img_1897.jpg   Calculating Tire Size-img_1898.jpg  
Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
There's a Tire Size calculator at the top of the coupe page among the sticky's, your answers are all there...Gary

Old 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
There's a Tire Size calculator at the top of the coupe page among the sticky's, your answers are all there...Gary
I appreciate the response. I can't find that stick under the 03-07 coupe page. I looked at the sticky in this forum for calculating tire size, but it wants a size entered to tell the difference from OEM.

I do not know what size tire I would even be able to run with these.

brian

Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Brian one of the responsibilities of new members is to read and follow the forum rules. You will find that doing leg work on your own (searching for answers to your questions before posting them) is a rule, there are literally thousands of posts in this section that will answer your question for you to find. Happy hunting!!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:16 PM
I found a post within a larger thread where someone referenced a similar wheel size but their car was lowered. I am hoping that these would also work for me... before I spend any money on this stuff, can someone who clearly understands this stuff better than I either confirm or deny that they'll work...

the rims are 18x9.75 +22
according to the post I read, it looked like 275/35 or 285/35 would work... I would prefer more meat on the rims, so probably 285...

Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
You're main goal in calculating tire size is to end up with a tire that has the same overall diameter as your stock tires. This will keep things like your speedometer accurate and happy. Lowered or not shouldn't have any effect on a proper tire size.

So in the calculator, put stock size on one side, then the size you think you want on the other, if the diameters are pretty close then you should be fine.

The following users liked this post:
Bval9 (02-07-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 AM
I don't mean to seem like a pest about this, but I won't be able to return these after I buy them (and it's not exactly a cheap expenditure)

245/35 for the front and it shows the first picture attached
265/35 for the rears and it shows the second picture attached.

The diameter difference is very small, there is a noticeable difference in the inner clearance and the outer clearance.

And to the first two replies on this thread, I understand the way that forums work and I recognize that searching and research are required. This is a subject that I am not well versed in. As I do not want to waste this sort of money on an area that I am really not all that comfortable in, I asked for help...

Originally Posted by LoSt180
You're main goal in calculating tire size is to end up with a tire that has the same overall diameter as your stock tires. This will keep things like your speedometer accurate and happy. Lowered or not shouldn't have any effect on a proper tire size.

So in the calculator, put stock size on one side, then the size you think you want on the other, if the diameters are pretty close then you should be fine.

Attached Thumbnails Calculating Tire Size-front.jpg   Calculating Tire Size-rear.jpg  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:53 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Those tire sizes will work fine. Pull the trigger on them, get them installed and you're golden! You can let go of the stress of the decision and just enjoy your new shoes. I love having all new tires on my rides, makes them feel like a whole different vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Bval9 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 AM
thank you very much for the help!

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Those tire sizes will work fine. Pull the trigger on them, get them installed and you're golden! You can let go of the stress of the decision and just enjoy your new shoes. I love having all new tires on my rides, makes them feel like a whole different vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.