Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys I bought the JL RCA to speaker wire and the box did not tell me which wire is which.. does anyone know which is positive/negative and left and right?.. i have 2 black and 2 white wires with one of each color having a stripe. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if you are unsure, get a multi-meter it should have a function that tones out a wire. Most likely the white is the positive and the black the negative.

What is the model number of the JL RCA thingy?

Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Yeah, there's no universal standard on what color is what.

Get a multimeter (even a cheap $5 one) and see which is the center and outside. Outside is usually ground.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Well I hooked the up the black as right and the white as left. I used the one with the stripe as the positive. I'm getting sound so I'm assuming I hooked up correct? Would I get sound if I had them switched? I haven't soldered anything yet, but everything seems to be working out okay.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You're probably good to go.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Just found out from JL that if you have the RCA to speaker wire adapter from them, the wire with the stripe is negative and the solid colors are positive. Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm going to apologize in advance for not reading all 29 pages... but I'm a total noob at this, and its extremely difficult to understand what you guys are saying LOL

anyways, i have the stock bose system, and i just want something that will give me some more bass. i want to keep the costs to a minimum, since im still in school. any help is appreciated!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Try posting a fresh thread.
Include:
Year of car
Sedan/coupe
Headunit
Goal? - sound pressure level or sound quality
Type of music you want to enjoy (Don't say everything - list bands)
and most importantly - Budget.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhykushi
i'm going to apologize in advance for not reading all 29 pages... but I'm a total noob at this, and its extremely difficult to understand what you guys are saying LOL

anyways, i have the stock bose system, and i just want something that will give me some more bass. i want to keep the costs to a minimum, since im still in school. any help is appreciated!
All of these threads will help you.. List the budget as mentioned above and what type of music you want to produce thru your system!

Coupe.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g35-coupe.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-stock-hu.html

And if you have a sedan...
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...se-system.html

Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned
nice write up

i wish they had one for all cars

Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Which color is the remote turn on lead? Light blue or silver or both?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by dr6
as you approach the rear seat, you have to remove the bottom cushion by pulling straight up on each side. This allows you to continue to run your power wire to the trunk. Once you have the power wire running the way you want it, you can replace all the parts you had removed earlier.

The next step is to find the bose amp underneath the trunk coverings on the driver's side. There are two harnesses that are running to the amp. The one you want is the blue harness. Remove that and identify your input wires:

Head output rear right + blue
head output rear right - pink

head output rear left + teal
head output rear left - purple

remote wire light blue/ silver

you need to be able to convert 18 gauge wires to an rca jack to connect to the amp. One way was to get an rca jack with a twisted pair of wires that you can cut and then splice. Another option is to get the jl line conversion that i used (pricey - $25, but i couldn't wait for mail-order). Splice them with in-line splicers available at radio shack and tape it up with electrical tape. You also want to splice into the remote wire for the amp. Although the jl amps have audio sensing power-on capability, it is unreliable (i found out the hard way) and i recommend using a direct remote power-on line.
both

Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I finished wiring the car but the box from my other car holding a 10" JLW6v2 and Alpine MRP-M450 were too big to fit in the trunk opening (should sit once inside but trunk opening is too slanted) . Anyone have recommendations for a box that should fit?

Also, when the wires from my factory deck to the Bose amp were spliced they were cut off from the harness (i.e. so it only goes from headunit to subwoofer amp for the remote turn on and the left/right audio signal) and soldered to the new wires going to the aftermarket deck. Is this alright? Or do I need to resolder them back to the wire in the harness (so it goes from Head Unit to subwoofer and Bose amp)?

I was told by the local auto electronic sources that T Taps should bot be used so that is why I had them cut and soldered but now I really regret it .

Old 04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Thanks for the quick response. I finished wiring the car but the box from my other car holding a 10" JLW6v2 and Alpine MRP-M450 were too big to fit in the trunk opening (should sit once inside but trunk opening is too slanted) . Anyone have recommendations for a box that should fit?

Also, when the wires from my factory deck to the Bose amp were spliced they were cut off from the harness (i.e. so it only goes from headunit to subwoofer amp for the remote turn on and the left/right audio signal) and soldered to the new wires going to the aftermarket deck. Is this alright? Or do I need to resolder them back to the wire in the harness (so it goes from Head Unit to subwoofer and Bose amp)?

I was told by the local auto electronic sources that T Taps should bot be used so that is why I had them cut and soldered but now I really regret it .
Well I found my answer, no speakers working . Probably the Bose amp is not turning on due to no power on the lead... The only good thing about this is there enough wire from the harness cut to solder it back but now it all depends on doing that to get my audio working. Will have to do that tommorow and update.

Could it be possible for the OP to change that section to tapping the wires as opposed to splicing, I know it was discussed in this thread but it is pretty long now. Might prevent idiots like me from actually doing that...

Does anyone also know how to put the rear seats down again? Just more force?

Old 05-01-2010, 12:32 PM
The rear seats fold down by pulling a lever from the trunk of the car. And what do you mean by tapping as opposed to splicing? Check to see if you are getting power for the lead turn on

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe