Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

NAV thinks its in california

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV thinks its in california

like the title states the nav on my 03 g35 coupe thinks it's in California. While i am driving the arrow moves on the screen so something is working, maybe the position is just off or it cant connect to the satellite?

it has been like this since i got the car, it was a salvage vehicle and after the repair the nav hasn't worked right.

anyone have any ideas for trying to fix it?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
i bought my coupe used in washington state and it came from NY so since the disc wasnt for my region i had to get a new one. maybey that will help

Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Although the disc isn't in the region it has maps for all the states.
To the OP, maybe try going to Settings>Navi and choose the option to reset default settings.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by donpisto
Although the disc isn't in the region it has maps for all the states.
To the OP, maybe try going to Settings>Navi and choose the option to reset default settings.

hum... there isn't a setting to reset to default. And i just noticed that i cant adjust the clock on the screen it's staying at 00:00, hum maybe it's having a hard time connecting to the satellite or something?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
might have to re-set the settings or update disc.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by bitsq
hum... there isn't a setting to reset to default. And i just noticed that i cant adjust the clock on the screen it's staying at 00:00, hum maybe it's having a hard time connecting to the satellite or something?
Hmmm, that's odd...did you scroll down all the way, there are more options if you scroll down.

Here is a thread somewhat similar to yours, you can also try the 2nd method I posted.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g-address.html

Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
My 03 navi did the same but put me in the ocean. I had to disconnect the battery and eject the nav disc weird but it worked.

Last edited by 2drwild; 08-22-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:22 PM
i just got a newer disk from the dealer and same problem, i upgraded from the 6.2 disk to the 6.4 disk... i'm now thinking that the car isn't getting a gps signal, is there anyway to test this?

Old 08-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by bitsq
i just got a newer disk from the dealer and same problem, i upgraded from the 6.2 disk to the 6.4 disk... i'm now thinking that the car isn't getting a gps signal, is there anyway to test this?
Yes, when in the map view, look for a green or yellow satellite icon in the upper left hand corner. There is also a GPS page under Settings that shows whether you are receiving signals from any satellites.

As far as the location goes, you said the map moves while driving. Is it tracking your location correctly or showing you moving on streets in California? Or, is it just that the state defaults to California when setting a destination?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by jimrockford
Yes, when in the map view, look for a green or yellow satellite icon in the upper left hand corner. There is also a GPS page under Settings that shows whether you are receiving signals from any satellites.

As far as the location goes, you said the map moves while driving. Is it tracking your location correctly or showing you moving on streets in California? Or, is it just that the state defaults to California when setting a destination?
i can see the satellite icon but there is no colour on it, also it says that the satellite is "out of range". So i'm assuming that there is something wrong with the actual gps transponder. I found out how to correct my location so i switched it from california to Toronto, Ontario.

Does anyone know how i can check or fix the gps receiver unit?

thanks for the help you guys have given me so far

Old 08-23-2008, 05:22 PM
i'm thinking that it is possible that they forgot to connect the gps receiver when they fixed the car initially.. anyone know how i could check that?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
anyone?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM
You have to go to Settings - Navigation - Adjust Current Location and then use the map to reposition your location. If you have to go across several states as I did it's best to zoom all the way out. After 2 hours of looking at the manual and some trial and error I figured this out. So easy it's hard.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 AM
i've tried that already, i set the location to my house and set it up perfectly but as soon as i shut the car off it goes right back to california

there must be something wrong with the actual gps unit, they might have forgot to reconnect it when the car was in peices.

where is the actual gps reciever and where does it connect?
any pictures would be much appreciated
i want to spend the least amount of time outside given that its about -20 outside right now :S

thanks for all your help

Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Your nav dvd isn't for the software that's currently being used in your nav system. In other words, that new disk you got, or the one you got with your car is "too new" for the car, and as a result, the car wont load up the states.

It sucks, but if you downgrade, you should be okay. I think the Zenrin (the maker of our nav disks) has a list of what dvd's are appropriate for which model year car.

Try that before you go digging for your nav hardware.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NAV thinks its in california