Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put back together

At least I can get to the Axxess easy (behind the ash tray) to see the light if needed

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-img_20140507_193102_644.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by erikill
yep the guide that came with the device says red but I get green, very odd

And one thing to note the trim ring for the new pioneer 5600 doesn't fit quite right since the headunit flips out, I sanded too much on it may need to try a different ring

Also I found a harness off the H/U that nothing goes to, what is that for?
I'd give Metra a call for that one, I didn't have issues with the one I did a couple months back.

For headunits with a motorized faceplate, I've just cut it so it's just a strip of trim along the top, and another along the bottom set back far enough that it doesn't interfere.

Without seeing a picture, I can't say what the harness is, but you have four radio power/audios signal harnesses, one climate control harness, and two for navigation (if equipped). Everything you need for the radio are on three of those four, so you'll end up with one unused.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I'd give Metra a call for that one, I didn't have issues with the one I did a couple months back.

For headunits with a motorized faceplate, I've just cut it so it's just a strip of trim along the top, and another along the bottom set back far enough that it doesn't interfere.

Without seeing a picture, I can't say what the harness is, but you have four radio power/audios signal harnesses, one climate control harness, and two for navigation (if equipped). Everything you need for the radio are on three of those four, so you'll end up with one unused.
Yea I have a feeling, but I can live without PWR doing anything since the headunit has a MUTE button.

That's what I was thinking as well, but right now the free floating one isn't awful.

It was about the same size as the larger radio harness, had a lot of silver inlays, I bet it was for the navigation, but interesting that the H/U had it prewired go figure.

Let me know if you are up in ATL, I owe you a beer or two for this project.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yea I have a feeling, but I can live without PWR doing anything since the headunit has a MUTE button.

That's what I was thinking as well, but right now the free floating one isn't awful.

It was about the same size as the larger radio harness, had a lot of silver inlays, I bet it was for the navigation, but interesting that the H/U had it prewired go figure.

Let me know if you are up in ATL, I owe you a beer or two for this project.
Well, I don't drink, so I'll just have to take pizza

Old 05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Well, I don't drink, so I'll just have to take pizza
That works too, there are some decent pie places up by me in the burbs (Roswell / Alpharetta area).

I can't tell you how excited I am to have Bluetooth Audio, and a aux cord. How did we live without it for so long?

I took apart the cd changer to pull out my CDs, everything appears operational if I manually cycle it, but I figure it's not worth trying to fix it (reattaching all the springs) and just put in the attic in case I sell the car.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

That works too, there are some decent pie places up by me in the burbs (Roswell / Alpharetta area).

I can't tell you how excited I am to have Bluetooth Audio, and a aux cord. How did we live without it for so long?

I took apart the cd changer to pull out my CDs, everything appears operational if I manually cycle it, but I figure it's not worth trying to fix it (reattaching all the springs) and just put in the attic in case I sell the car.
You could always use the old trim to protect your new radio instead of throwing it in the attic.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks again Wrathernaut! So I went with the JDM setup on my 05 coupe install. Now my Nav comes up but does not turn on. I asked the Infiniti dealer that sold me the kit & was told that I can no longer use my nav with the DD kit. Which was the same thing my Car audio installer said. Any idea what area I should look at for a fix?

Old 05-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by arcadefreak
Thanks again Wrathernaut! So I went with the JDM setup on my 05 coupe install. Now my Nav comes up but does not turn on. I asked the Infiniti dealer that sold me the kit & was told that I can no longer use my nav with the DD kit. Which was the same thing my Car audio installer said. Any idea what area I should look at for a fix?
My guess is they didn't connect both harnesses to the rear of the navigation system. The power to raise the navigation screen is on a completely separate harness from the one that carries the video signal and button signals. The navigation and radio are completely separate systems. The only thing that joins the radio and navigation unit is the voice audio signal which are part of the M39 harness (the same one with the steering wheel signals) which plugs into the factory radio.

The gray in the top right is the screen mechanism, the middle-far left is for the screen and button communication. That's the one they didn't plug in, or screwed up the wires (possibly torn out some of the pins on the harness) when removing.

The only thing you will lose from the factory nav with a competent installer is the navigation voice. Whoever says differently is ignorant, a liar, or both.

... need I go on?

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 05-16-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:27 AM

Last edited by eagle3000; 05-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:43 PM
okay so i bought a jdm dd and i think it is a navigation model, i do not have factory navigation on my g35 is there a way to make it fit ? is there going to be a gap or its just not gonna click in?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by LVLVG
okay so i bought a jdm dd and i think it is a navigation model, i do not have factory navigation on my g35 is there a way to make it fit ? is there going to be a gap or its just not gonna click in?
Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-2007011911.jpeg

Yes it will fit. You'll just have a 1/8 gap between the top of the double din trim and bottom of cubby as pictured, also see link for more info on your question along with comparison pictures.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/439946-stereo-dash-kit-do-i-need.html

The following users liked this post:
LVLVG (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Juang20
Yes it will fit. You'll just have a 1/8 gap between the top of the double din trim and bottom of cubby as pictured, also see link for more info on your question along with comparison pictures. https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439946
Awesome thanks for the quick response i appreciate the help!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Question! I am about to start this project this weekend. I received my Metra Kit, with antenna adapter, Pioneer DEH-X7500HD Receiver, and it came with a "Scosche OEA-4A" which looks similar to the pictured ROEM-NIS2 pictured page 1.

If I am reading correctly, I still need the Steering Wheel interface, right? And this Scosche OEA-4A will replace the ROEM-NIS2...is this right?

Sorry, my first install ever. I ordered this all from Crutchfield. Thank You!!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by iced!tea
Question! I am about to start this project this weekend. I received my Metra Kit, with antenna adapter, Pioneer DEH-X7500HD Receiver, and it came with a "Scosche OEA-4A" which looks similar to the pictured ROEM-NIS2 pictured page 1. If I am reading correctly, I still need the Steering Wheel interface, right? And this Scosche OEA-4A will replace the ROEM-NIS2...is this right? Sorry, my first install ever. I ordered this all from Crutchfield. Thank You!!
Does It say it will replace it? ROEM nis2 has 2 wires for each out (4x2) and two more for power I believe....

You will still want to but the metra AXXESS.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by iced!tea
Question! I am about to start this project this weekend. I received my Metra Kit, with antenna adapter, Pioneer DEH-X7500HD Receiver, and it came with a "Scosche OEA-4A" which looks similar to the pictured ROEM-NIS2 pictured page 1.

If I am reading correctly, I still need the Steering Wheel interface, right? And this Scosche OEA-4A will replace the ROEM-NIS2...is this right?

Sorry, my first install ever. I ordered this all from Crutchfield. Thank You!!
The Scosche OEA-4A only allows you to reduce the signal level for using with factory amplifiers which expect a certain (low) signal level. They do not convert the signal to differential-balanced the way the ROEM-NIS2 does. Despite that, some still have had success without a signal converter, so if you're getting it free, give it a try. If you paid for it, return it for the ROEM-NIS2 to save yourself the frustration.

And yes, you still need the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 for steering wheel controls.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List