Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Wrathernaut

I was just wondering if the Metra 70-7550 wiring harness is what I should use if I'm getting the Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX (I decided to replace the rest of my system... also replacing the bose sub in rear deck with another sub in the rear deck).

I'm just wanting to make sure because Crutchfield.com says that the harness does not fit and instead recommends the Scosche CNN03. So should I get the Scosche or the Metra? Any advantages of one over the other at all?

Thanks

Edit: Amazon also says it doesn't fit.

Last edited by Rehman2009; 12-09-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Info
Old 12-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Rehman2009
Hey Wrathernaut

I was just wondering if the Metra 70-7550 wiring harness is what I should use if I'm getting the Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX (I decided to replace the rest of my system... also replacing the bose sub in rear deck with another sub in the rear deck).

I'm just wanting to make sure because Crutchfield.com says that the harness does not fit and instead recommends the Scosche CNN03. So should I get the Scosche or the Metra? Any advantages of one over the other at all?

Thanks

Edit: Amazon also says it doesn't fit.
What are you doing for amplification? Aftermarket amplifier, you can use the 70-7550 with your own RCAs run to the amplifier. Factory Bose system you should be using the ROEM-NIS2 (just like the first post says). No amplifier (stock non-bose) you use the 70-7550.

The CNN03 is supposed to be functionally equivalent to the ROEM-NIS2, but doesn't have the track record the ROEM-NIS2 does.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
What are you doing for amplification? Aftermarket amplifier, you can use the 70-7550 with your own RCAs run to the amplifier. Factory Bose system you should be using the ROEM-NIS2 (just like the first post says). No amplifier (stock non-bose) you use the 70-7550.

The CNN03 is supposed to be functionally equivalent to the ROEM-NIS2, but doesn't have the track record the ROEM-NIS2 does.

I'm actually using an aftermarket amplifier. The Alpine VDX-V9. So then the Metra will work, right?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Rehman2009
I'm actually using an aftermarket amplifier. The Alpine VDX-V9. So then the Metra will work, right?
Yes, connect everything according to the chart for a non-bose system, running your own RCA pairs and amp remote power signal wire directly from the headunit to the Alpine amplifier.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I have a 2005 g35 sedan with Bose and aftermarket kenwood deck. I disconnected the bose amp to get rid of it and put in 2 rockford 10's and a 250/1 rockford amp. I will replace the kenwood after xmas with a pioneer and steering wheel controls. The previous owner used a harness but was able to keep the bose amp. I can't tell if its the 7550 or 7551 or schosche?... There is no module like the PAC and there is a radio adapter. I have all the wires ran but am trying to find the amp turn off wire. I went through the av.pdf but am still a bit confused. It's the green/white wire in the bose harness?

Edit: or do the above step and just connect to the kenwood harness?

Re-edit:
I got the turn off wire ran to the deck, the sub works great. I unplugged the bose amp completely and the subs work great but the car speakers do not work. When I plug in the bose amp I get both the subs and the full car audio. I planned on taking out the bose amp and running off the headunit. Is there some step I am missing? Do I just need to wait for the pioneer and redo everything at that point and get rid of the bose amp? Also the volume is very loud at low settings. Maybe that will help diagnose the wiring harness.

KDC-MP345U Kenwood deck right now
DEHX8600BS pioneer i'm getting

I remember reading about tapping the speaker wires in the bose harness but I can't find the post again. I would prefer to keep the rear speakers working. I am still deciding on replacing the component speakers or adding a 2/4 channel amp. Would my best bet be replacing the bose amp with a 2/4 channel? Keep the stock speakers?

Last edited by Saltydizzle; 12-11-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
About reverse wires: I could not figure out which purple wire was the reverse signal in the kickpanel for the sake of seeing so many purple wires there, so I wound up checking them out with my DMM and found out that this connector going to the passenger side taillight in the trunk has purple wire that goes +12v when in reverse, which you can see is tapped here:

Those posi-taps are really convenient, but I try not to use them too often since they're pricey and I still think soldering is better. The wire has some silver dots on it. I ground the camera under the lower bolt for the trunk latch. The wire I tapped for +12 at the connector immediately goes to a 1amp fuse with sends signal to the head unit and the camera.

The following 2 users liked this post by AuAltima3.5:
Greyhame (09-23-2021), Urbanengineer (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
About reverse wires: I could not figure out which purple wire was the reverse signal in the kickpanel for the sake of seeing so many purple wires there, so I wound up checking them out with my DMM and found out that this connector going to the passenger side taillight in the trunk has purple wire that goes +12v when in reverse, which you can see is tapped here: Those posi-taps are really convenient, but I try not to use them too often since they're pricey and I still think soldering is better. The wire has some silver dots on it. I ground the camera under the lower bolt for the trunk latch. The wire I tapped for +12 at the connector immediately goes to a 1amp fuse with sends signal to the head unit and the camera.
I have been looking for one to tap into for a while.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:37 PM
When running an aftermarket amp + sub. all thats needed for the amp is RCAs and remote turn on from the head unit to the amp? or should i use a LOC and get everything at the factory amp?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Orioles
When running an aftermarket amp + sub. all thats needed for the amp is RCAs and remote turn on from the head unit to the amp? or should i use a LOC and get everything at the factory amp?
With an aftermarket headunit, it depends on the headunit. With factory headunit, see here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...se-system.html

Old 12-14-2014, 08:20 PM
How do you tell with the headunit? I'm using a pioneer avh-x3600bhs

Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Orioles
How do you tell with the headunit? I'm using a pioneer avh-x3600bhs
That one has dedicated subwoofer channels, so yes, you just run the RCAs and a connection to the amplifier remote power on signal wire to the new amplifier.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:18 PM
D87
Wrathernaut, thank you for following this post for the past four years and being such an invaluable resource on this topic.

After 10 years of owning my 03 coupe, I encountered the dreaded AC-full blast/dash-dead issue myself recently. The next day the issue went away, but I've been afraid to turn on the radio since it might "aggravate" the problem. Thankfully the AC still works fine (and I'm sure the radio does too), but after two months I'm starting to get sick of listening to I Heart Radio on my iPhone in the cup holder - so I'm considering upgrading to a double-din aftermarket.

I have Bose and factory nav. I gather all the information on the front page is still relevant? Will the Metra kit still not accommodate the factory nav? Do I have to opt for the JDM dash kit? You would think Metra would change the mold to make it fit better? I'm planning to take my car to Best Buy, and I can't believe in all these years they haven't had a customer who wanted the Metra kit and also has the stock nav? Aside from that, I'm going to bring printouts of your diagram of the antenna-powering, as well as the PAC info (when I went to get their estimate, they said I needed the 70-7550 - which is incorrect since I have BOSE). If anyone in the SF Bay Area has a better option than Best Buy, preferably a car installer who knows our cars and knows what they're doing, please feel free to recommend!

Old 12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by D87
Wrathernaut, thank you for following this post for the past four years and being such an invaluable resource on this topic.

After 10 years of owning my 03 coupe, I encountered the dreaded AC-full blast/dash-dead issue myself recently. The next day the issue went away, but I've been afraid to turn on the radio since it might "aggravate" the problem. Thankfully the AC still works fine (and I'm sure the radio does too), but after two months I'm starting to get sick of listening to I Heart Radio on my iPhone in the cup holder - so I'm considering upgrading to a double-din aftermarket.

I have Bose and factory nav. I gather all the information on the front page is still relevant? Will the Metra kit still not accommodate the factory nav? Do I have to opt for the JDM dash kit? You would think Metra would change the mold to make it fit better? I'm planning to take my car to Best Buy, and I can't believe in all these years they haven't had a customer who wanted the Metra kit and also has the stock nav? Aside from that, I'm going to bring printouts of your diagram of the antenna-powering, as well as the PAC info (when I went to get their estimate, they said I needed the 70-7550 - which is incorrect since I have BOSE). If anyone in the SF Bay Area has a better option than Best Buy, preferably a car installer who knows our cars and knows what they're doing, please feel free to recommend!
Based on the assumed number of installs done by Best Buy, and lack of complaints about them on this board, I think that the instructions they have for their employees to follow is correct - or it's all done by people who don't know better and accept the poor sound quality. Perhaps the person you talked with was going off his knowledge rather than the actual instruction sheet when he said 70-7550.

I'd ask in the regional forum for a reputable shop, or give it a go on your own, you wouldn't be the first person to do their first install based on the resources here.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Based on the assumed number of installs done by Best Buy, and lack of complaints about them on this board, I think that the instructions they have for their employees to follow is correct - or it's all done by people who don't know better and accept the poor sound quality. Perhaps the person you talked with was going off his knowledge rather than the actual instruction sheet when he said 70-7550.

I'd ask in the regional forum for a reputable shop, or give it a go on your own, you wouldn't be the first person to do their first install based on the resources here.
I can attest to that^

Not my first install, but first install that was more than just a simple swap. Study his lists and FAQs and they should answer all your questions.

Also, wrather has a posted video on how to modify the metra kit to fit the nav. Furthermore, our member here Shawno has a metra kit for sale for a very good price. Just look in our classifieds.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Do you need to unhook the factory amp and sub when running an aftermarket sub?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List