Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
oh mine is up & running. I didnt wanna ruin my stock HU as I always bring my cars back to factory state before I sell them. I just put twisted the top of the wires, added some solder to it (so it looked like a pin) insert it into the plug and taped it all off. Worked like a charm other than that it was all nicely done. However everything will be coming back off next month or so to install my rear view camera & subs

Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
JZ
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Coupe KY0
Man... Great job fellas. Keep em coming. I have an extra oem headunit so ill be using the oem plug for the aswc. I spliced into the oem one but I can always resolder it back on. Ill do that next wknd when I plug my pioneer ipod cable in

Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m planning to replace my car stereo and want to make sure I got all I need and to make sure I’m going to do it right. I did tons or reading in the past several days and want to thank you and everyone else that wrote excellent instructions on how to do the install.

I’m planning to install pioneer HU, Infinity or JL amp for the 4 speakers and Infinity or Kicker amp for the subs, 1 farad Cap. I’m going to use the stock Bose door speakers and replace the sub with 2 10” pioneer or 1 15” JL sub. What you think about this set up and how good the Pioneer fit in the JDM double din?

I’m going with the JDM double din kit and from your list I need to buy the Metra 40-NI10 antenna adapter, the PAC SWI-PS Pioneer and Sony Universal Steering Wheel Radio Interface, Metra 70-7550 Radio Wiring Harness. Did I miss anything?

Using the Metra 70-7550 Radio Wiring Harness I’ll connect my Pioneer HU. Do you have special instructions or recommendation for the wiring? I remember I read somewhere but I can’t find it now that we need to wire the antenna differently.

I watched the PAC SWI-PS Pioneer and Sony Universal Steering Wheel Radio Interface and it look fairly easy. Do you have special instructions or recommendation for the wiring and programming?

I’m going to run power and RCA cable to the trunk and use the stock speakers wiring for the 4 speakers. From what I read I’ll can use the speakers wiring that comes out of the Bosh amp and connect them to my amp. Do you have special instruction or recommendation for this process?

I was thinking to remove the stock Bose sub to get better sub sound from the trunk, is that a good idea?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wrathernaut I sent u pm

Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by G35CO
I’m planning to replace my car stereo and want to make sure I got all I need and to make sure I’m going to do it right. I did tons or reading in the past several days and want to thank you and everyone else that wrote excellent instructions on how to do the install.

I’m planning to install pioneer HU, Infinity or JL amp for the 4 speakers and Infinity or Kicker amp for the subs, 1 farad Cap. I’m going to use the stock Bose door speakers and replace the sub with 2 10” pioneer or 1 15” JL sub. What you think about this set up and how good the Pioneer fit in the JDM double din?

I’m going with the JDM double din kit and from your list I need to buy the Metra 40-NI10 antenna adapter, the PAC SWI-PS Pioneer and Sony Universal Steering Wheel Radio Interface, Metra 70-7550 Radio Wiring Harness. Did I miss anything?

Using the Metra 70-7550 Radio Wiring Harness I’ll connect my Pioneer HU. Do you have special instructions or recommendation for the wiring? I remember I read somewhere but I can’t find it now that we need to wire the antenna differently.

I watched the PAC SWI-PS Pioneer and Sony Universal Steering Wheel Radio Interface and it look fairly easy. Do you have special instructions or recommendation for the wiring and programming?

I’m going to run power and RCA cable to the trunk and use the stock speakers wiring for the 4 speakers. From what I read I’ll can use the speakers wiring that comes out of the Bosh amp and connect them to my amp. Do you have special instruction or recommendation for this process?

I was thinking to remove the stock Bose sub to get better sub sound from the trunk, is that a good idea?
#1 - absolutely no reason for a capacitor. Waste of money, increase in complexity, and frankly, dangerous for an inexperienced installer to play with.

#2 - a pair of 10's or a single 15 is going to overpower your factory speakers enormously. If you are only interested in drawing thieves to your car to steal said subwoofers, then this will work well. If you want to enjoy music, not so much.

#3 - the only wiring that's not pretty much color-to-color is the "power antenna" or "antenna amp" wire. The power antenna/amp wire should be connected to either the red main power wire or the cigarette lighter power wire in order to provide enough power to get proper FM reception.

#4 - I still recommend the metra axxess aswc for that stereo, the hard part isn't the programming, really, it's the extra effort to get the resistors soldered inline with the PAC SWI-PS that causes some people problems and takes time.

#5 - nothing special required, just a few feet of speaker wire to go from the new amp to the stock speaker wiring from the bose amp.

The following users liked this post:
G35CO (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 AM
#2 - a pair of 10's or a single 15 is going to overpower your factory speakers enormously. If you are only interested in drawing thieves to your car to steal said subwoofers, then this will work well. If you want to enjoy music, not so much.
What sub you recommend? I'm planning to change the Bose speakers if they don't sound good.

#4 - I still recommend the metra axxess aswc for that stereo, the hard part isn't the programming, really, it's the extra effort to get the resistors soldered inline with the PAC SWI-PS that causes some people problems and takes time.
If i go with the axxess do i need to soldered the resistors? if not any spacial install steps for the axxess?

I'm going to install pioneer avic-z3. If i don't have nav in my car were can i find the speed sensor wire? Were you recommend to install the GPS antenna?

Last edited by G35CO; 01-21-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by G35CO
What sub you recommend? I'm planning to change the Bose speakers if they don't sound good.

If i go with the axxess do i need to soldered the resistors? if not any spacial install steps for the axxess?

I'm going to install pioneer avic-z3. If i don't have nav in my car were can i find the speed sensor wire? Were you recommend to install the GPS antenna?
Depends on your budget.

Axxess doesn't need resistors soldered in, that's why I recommend it.

Speed sensor wire is the same regardless of nav, it's the green/white one on the same harness that the steering wheel controls are on.

The stock GPS antenna is under the dash. GPS signals go through glass and plastic just fine. Just make sure you have metal beneath it and it's pointed correctly and it'll be fine.

G35CO (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Were you recommend to install the ipod and aux wires?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

If you leave it in as a virtual permanent jukebox (old classic), glovebox, as you can lock the glovebox for extra security. If you take it with you (iPhone, iPod touch) I'd do the center console.

G35CO (01-22-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
G35
i installed an ipod aux in my brothers 06 G35x and i left the wire in the center console ontop of the stereo

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
^ Same here, as long as you dont have navi its a great spot for it

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
G35
yep true, if you have it i also think under the arm rest is very good

Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey everybody. So my a/c works fine and everything, but I am looking to upgrade to a pioneer double din head unit. I have a 2004 g35 coupe. I was wondering if I could just get a metra dash kit without any buttons and use the stock buttons for the a/c stuff... since the metra buttons look cheap. I just want the plastic shell to make room for the double din. Please help soon!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Stock buttons are built into the HVAC and CD unit. No possible way to reuse your current buttons.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
But here on ebay it doesnt have any buttons. Sorry for being stupid, I am just confused. Here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180617211207...ht_1251wt_1185

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List