Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THANKS so much for the responses! Love this community.
The easy bypass method for the NEX models works for all but the 4000 series, lol, of course... Its fine, as I've already purchased the specific bypass module for the 4000 series...
So since Im running amps, i skip wiring the pioneer's blue/white to the Metra and instead go directly to the blue/white leading to my trunk, and thus split into my remote power sockets on each amp. Will I need to setup a relay to split the signal up cleanly? or will the signal from the pioneer be sufficient when split into 3 amps? I already have the relays setup in rear from my last setup, shall I just leave it as it is? I'd rather not alter things I dont NEED to. So to my understanding, since the amps power all speakers, I do NOT need to wire up the metra harness' speakers wires (gray,white,grean, purple) nor the blue/white from the Metra harness? TLDR: The Metra's blue/white does not need to be connected?

Lastly, since I neatly connected all my speaker power wires already to the Metra harness, may I just leave the connections intact since they dont actually power to speakers? It would be far easier than disconnecting and taping up each wire.. Any consequence to leaving them connected even tho my amps handle the speakers?

Old 12-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooman
THANKS so much for the responses! Love this community.
The easy bypass method for the NEX models works for all but the 4000 series, lol, of course... Its fine, as I've already purchased the specific bypass module for the 4000 series...
So since Im running amps, i skip wiring the pioneer's blue/white to the Metra and instead go directly to the blue/white leading to my trunk, and thus split into my remote power sockets on each amp. Will I need to setup a relay to split the signal up cleanly? or will the signal from the pioneer be sufficient when split into 3 amps? I already have the relays setup in rear from my last setup, shall I just leave it as it is? I'd rather not alter things I dont NEED to. So to my understanding, since the amps power all speakers, I do NOT need to wire up the metra harness' speakers wires (gray,white,grean, purple) nor the blue/white from the Metra harness? TLDR: The Metra's blue/white does not need to be connected?

Lastly, since I neatly connected all my speaker power wires already to the Metra harness, may I just leave the connections intact since they dont actually power to speakers? It would be far easier than disconnecting and taping up each wire.. Any consequence to leaving them connected even tho my amps handle the speakers?
Yeah, the signal will be fine, it's not really powering anything, it's just a voltage check.

You don't need to worry about the speaker wires, just disconnect them from the radio so they're not sending out signal.

If you have access to the wires at the back of the radio, and you consider cutting and taping trouble, you might need to hire somebody else out for the rest of the install.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, my car had the 7551 harness, but I'm adding a 5 channel amp. Can I just cut the RCA's off of the 7551, and then connect my speaker wire from the amp to the 7551's wires? Or do I need another harness instead? I've got a 9 word bundle already run from the amp, but just need to know if I can reuse the 7551 by cuttin the RCA's off and connecting directly?

Old 12-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by THE MUFFIN MAN
So, my car had the 7551 harness, but I'm adding a 5 channel amp. Can I just cut the RCA's off of the 7551, and then connect my speaker wire from the amp to the 7551's wires? Or do I need another harness instead? I've got a 9 word bundle already run from the amp, but just need to know if I can reuse the 7551 by cuttin the RCA's off and connecting directly?
​​​​​​

No. The RCAs on the 7551 connect to the speaker level output. Your amp should be connected to the line level outputs. The signal for your amps should come from the RCA outputs directly from the radio, not passing though the harness.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Maybe you misunderstood my question. The amp has to connect directly to the speakers, either by wiring to each speaker in the doors/panels, or by wiring directly to the speaker outputs on the harness. Since the 7551 has merged those 8 wires into RCA's, they can not be used to connect to the speakers to the amp. So, I'm thinking I can cut the RCA's off, and then use the connections to wire to the speaker wire comin off the amp. Eliminating the need to connect to each speaker at the panel or door. Otherwise I'm going to need a different harness, like the 7550

Old 12-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, you're still unclear about what exactly your setup was/is.

What you want do is run RCAs directly from the headunit to the amp. If you had the bose amp before, you can remove the bose amp and use the wiring from the bose amp to the speakers and not have to re-do the wiring to the speakers.

If somebody used the 70-7551 previously, and plugged the RCA inputs on it to the headunit, you're sending the signal over unshielded wires to the trunk, and your new amp doesn't have the differential-balanced noise rejection that the bose amp did.

If you're trying to insert your amp between the headunit and the bose amp, you're really doing bad things.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Ok, here's my set up. Pioneer Avic unit, connected by previous owner with The 7551. I'm adding a 5 channel amp, to power the speakers and a sub. I'm clear on the whole install with the exception of the harness issue. I've got the RCA's run from amp to head unit, have NEW speaker wires running from amp, up to the front. My question is, do I need to replace the 7551, or can I cut the RCA's on it, thus using the 8 speaker connections that were fused to make the RCA's on the 7551? If I need to replace it, with the 7550, the 7550 will now connect with my new speaker wires from the amp correct? Do I need to do anything with the Bose amp ( disconnect it, remove it) etc? If I need to disconnect it, how do I do that ?

Old 12-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ok, here's my set up. Pioneer Avic unit, connected by previous owner with The 7551. I'm adding a 5 channel amp, to power the speakers and a sub. I'm clear on the whole install with the exception of the harness issue. I've got the RCA's run from amp to head unit, have NEW speaker wires running from amp, up to the front. My question is, do I need to replace the 7551, or can I cut the RCA's on it, thus using the 8 speaker connections that were fused to make the RCA's on the 7551? If I need to replace it, with the 7550, the 7550 will now connect with my new speaker wires from the amp correct? Do I need to do anything with the Bose amp ( disconnect it, remove it) etc? If I need to disconnect it, how do I do that ?
If you have RCAs run from the AVIC to the 5-channel amp, it doesn't matter if you have the 70-7550 or 70-7551, as the only difference between the two is that the 70-7550 has standard wires to connect to a headunit's speaker-level output wires, which are then sent along factory speaker wiring, which in a non-bose car goes directly to the speakers. The 70-7551, on the other hand, has RCA plugs that plug into the RCA outputs on the headunit, which are then sent along factory speaker wiring, which in a bose car goes directly to the amp.

Since you have RCAs connected to the headunit, and are sending a speaker signal along RCA wires to the amp, you aren't using the factory speaker wiring. Because you have the bose amp, if you run speaker wire from the amp back up to the 70-7551's RCA plug wires, you're going to be looping the speaker-level signal BACK to the trunk and into the bose amp, and from there, it'll go to the speaker locations. If you remove the bose amplifier at this point, you won't have a signal going to your speakers anymore, and if you leave the bose amp in the loop, it's going to at best be extremely noisy, and at worst fry the amp as you send a hugely amplified speaker signal into low-level inputs. You don't want to do this.

Again, here's what you want to do:
Pioneer headunit's RCA outputs go to RCA cables to your 5-channel amp in the trunk. Speaker-level outputs from the 5-channel amp then go to the factory wiring IN THE TRUNK that came FROM the bose amplifier going to the speakers. If you have a coupe, this is actually very easy, and there's a significant amount of space where the bose amplifier sits that can usually accommodate your new amplifier, so you won't have to extend wiring if you angle your new amp correctly. The 70-7551 RCAs just sit not plugged into anything. The rest of the 70-7551 doesn't need to be changed, but you can run a new amp power signal wire alongside the RCAs going to your new amp so you're not dependent on the one going to the bose amplifier. Remove the bose amplifier and sell it on eBay or the marketplace.

If you're still confused as to what you need to do at this point, you should take the car to somebody with more experience.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:12 AM
I got it now! The Bose amp was the gremlin that I just couldn't figure out, as it made for what I consider a non traditional install regarding the wiring sequence. Really had me flustered. Thank you sir!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM
i thing I found the correct wiring to tap also, we'll see

Last edited by THE MUFFIN MAN; 12-19-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I got it now! The Bose amp was the gremlin that I just couldn't figure out, as it made for what I consider a non traditional install regarding the wiring sequence. Really had me flustered. Thank you sir!
I knew you would have figured out when you when at it. I've been following the thread and seems like people are second guessing themselves or assuming the Bose is gonna give them issues. It's basically easier than it seems at first. When I first jumped into wiring on this car I was like oh wow, this is gonna be hard. Once I actually just used my previous experience with past installs it's all the same except a wire here and there.

The only downside I see to 3 or 4 remotes spliced into 1 is maybe a extra second or two delay on turn on. It's been a while but I remember I had a 2 second delay between sub turning on and front speakers turning on. Not on my G but years back on a LT1 Caprice car. I think I ran a thicker remote wire before the splice and this solved the delay.

I haven't splurged on the next line of Pioneers yet but Pioneer is the only head units I've ran since the late 90's even than the options built into the head unit along with ease of use can't be beat. I will probaly never buy another head unit besides pioneer. Have you tried any type of screen mirroring or Netflix, Chromecast, anything like that?

Old 12-19-2016, 02:40 PM
I haven't as of yet, I really don't spend much time in my cars anymore. I just love having bangin tunes when I do. This install was more complicated than my Lexus, which has the Mark Levinson home theater system! I've been installing my own systems for years, but this Bose thing really threw me off for a while. Thank goodness for knowledgeable folks around here!

Old 12-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sense your in the process take some pics of the install when you go at it. We love pictures while we read

Old 12-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just want to quick say thanks for all the info in this thread - just finished the install of my metra double din and pioneer deck. Was certainly more of a process than my old integra, but wasn't bad at all!

image host

Old 12-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Wrathernaut:

Saw your reply to my thread...closed it after I did some quick research. I did actually use your thread when it came to showing them how "simple" the dual climate switch over on the JDM DD kit was. Allowed me to save money on that side of things. I agree with you that they could have most likely thought about it more when it came to fitment. They called me in to take a look

I have no reason to defend them but I cant say they were sloppy or hasty. Like I said in the PM though, I will be addressing it with them so they can fix that issue.

I wish I wouldnt have just glossed over this thread when I got the kit. Its so much better to be informed about everything to help inform people.

Last edited by Zerafian; 12-27-2016 at 10:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List