Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
White G35x

Here is the one I'm looking at. For an 06 Sedan.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
If that is the actual pic of the one he is selling then it looks like its a navi trim.

The navi kit has an identical width of aluminum trim both above and below the buttons. The non-navi kit has a wider aluminum trim above the buttons compared to the trim below.

Heres some pics for comparison:

With Navigation:

Without navigation:

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
White G35x
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
If that is the actual pic of the one he is selling then it looks like its a navi trim.

The navi kit has an identical width of aluminum trim both above and below the buttons. The non-navi kit has a wider aluminum trim above the buttons compared to the trim below.

Heres some pics for comparison:

With Navigation:

Without navigation:

I appreciate it! I assumed this was the case, but wanted to make sure before having to deal with international ebay returns.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Scosche 2003-2004 install notes

I got to install the Scosche trim in a 2004 last night. Here's my notes:

If I didn't know better (and I may not) I'd think that Scosche looked at my install guide and put together a kit to get around all the common radio install issues. They wired the harnesses so that the antenna amplifier gets power from the same source as the radio, as I recommend. They include a connector to plug directly into the M39 harness for steering wheel controls. The included steering wheel control is just plug and play for many radios, and for others, simply requires a wire to be cut on their harness. No changes to factory harnesses required. At least for the 2004 I installed in, you didn't even need to add your own ground.
I did not try and use it connected to the bose amplifier, so I can't speak about the included converter coming off the speaker lines. It was installed using RCAs to aftermarket amps.

If they could release with proper color match on the trim, and for all years, I wouldn't recommend any of the metra kits at all, but overall still a very nice product.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I got to install the Scosche trim in a 2004 last night. Here's my notes:

If they could release with proper color match on the trim, and for all years, I wouldn't recommend any of the metra kits at all, but overall still a very nice product.
Knowing nothing about the DDin swap, I ask: Would it work to buy the Scosche kit and swap out their finisher with the OEM finisher alone that was identified in this post:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post7183034

Or is it welded/glued/incompatible/more trouble than it's worth?

Curious minds want to know!

Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Knowing nothing about the DDin swap, I ask: Would it work to buy the Scosche kit and swap out their finisher with the OEM finisher alone that was identified in this post:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post7183034

Or is it welded/glued/incompatible/more trouble than it's worth?

Curious minds want to know!
The scosche kit is only for 03/04. That is an 05+ JDM finisher. The 03/04 and 05+ climate controls are not compatible. The scosche climate controls may work in a 03/04 JDM finisher, if the size was right, but I didn't compare them.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35x

Already separated the wires intending to work with

I finally took on this task; 7 years after saying I would lol. Let me just say that trying to accomplish this with 3 young kids is not recommended. I will be honest and say I encountered quite some roadblocks, but nothing multiple searches didn't resolve.

So I have replaced:
Headunit
All 4 speakers (including tweeters) (re-using stock speaker wires. Not messing with that molex nonsense)
Amp
Sub
M39 Harness (using ASWC-1. Yet to program it)
Added a front and backup camera

I'm pretty much done. Everything so far works. All that is left is to program the ASWC-1. My issue is bypassing the Bluetooth. I know where the harness is (top right in my 2006 G35x Sedan). I understand it is said to join the yellow=>yellow, red=>red, green=>green wires, but (and I apologize if this a dumb question, but I am not trying to mess this up), how is this supposed to be done? For example, working with the yellow wires (A and B) - I grab both wires that go into the connector and cut them. Do I then take the wire A (the part that is no longer attached to the connector) and solder it to the wire B (the part that is still attached to the connector?

If yes, great. If not, please explain how the joining is supposed to be done.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by DaDood; 03-30-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Text was wiped
Old 03-31-2020, 12:30 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Bypassing is just that - the two yellow wires coming from the car to the bluetooth adapter get connected together. When you're done, the plug that went into the bluetooth adapter, and the bluetooth adapter itself no longer need to exist in your car.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:06 PM
G35x
Yea, I figured that last night. Sorry, should've updated the thread. Thank you either way - for the thread and responding.

I attempted to program ASWC, but I just constantly got slow red and green flashes. Turned out my T-taps were not as reliable. Not trying to knock them, but I had to remove them and manually connect the wires and solder. Not happy about that.

Another question, there were two connections to the bluetooth adapter (see my previous pic) - both should be disconnected, right? I do not know what that other connection was for, but I have left it off.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:13 AM
G35x
Is it normal for the ASWC1 to work intermittently?

I was researching this and read across multiple forums (not G35-related) that this is the case. I have also read posts from folks on G35driver that the SEEK down button doesn't even work...at all.

For me, I was able to program the buttons to work almost perfect to my needs (using the Android app, Computer, Micro USB). However, I have now realized I am also experiencing intermittent functions. My Volume Down, Seek Up, Seek Down, Seek Up (Long press) do not work all the time.

I am about taking the stereo apart again to check the connections, but thought I check with you guys if this is normal.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by DaDood
Is it normal for the ASWC1 to work intermittently?

I was researching this and read across multiple forums (not G35-related) that this is the case. I have also read posts from folks on G35driver that the SEEK down button doesn't even work...at all.

For me, I was able to program the buttons to work almost perfect to my needs (using the Android app, Computer, Micro USB). However, I have now realized I am also experiencing intermittent functions. My Volume Down, Seek Up, Seek Down, Seek Up (Long press) do not work all the time.

I am about taking the stereo apart again to check the connections, but thought I check with you guys if this is normal.
When I first installed my ASWC, I programmed it manually and after a while the seek down button stopped working. I reprogrammed it again using the automatic function and its been working fine ever since.

Is your ASWC software updated?

Old 04-09-2020, 08:50 AM
G35x
When I first installed my ASWC, I programmed it manually and after a while the seek down button stopped working. I reprogrammed it again using the automatic function and its been working fine ever since.

Is your ASWC software updated?
Yep. Firmware update was the first thing I did - first via the Android app, then a forced update on the Computer.

When you say you "reprogrammed it again using the automatic function", do you mean letting ASWC1 detect your system and configuring the buttons? If yes, that's also what I did. But then I used both the Android app and Computer to change the button functions according to my needs.

I removed my stereo last night and the connections are still solid. If ASWC1 only works well if we let it configure itself, then what's the point giving users the option to re-program the buttons?

Old 04-10-2020, 02:02 AM
Yes I meant the auto detect feature.

Try it again and see what happens. I havent tried to do the custom button programming so I cant speak for that. But maybe its just not good at the custom stuff.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:16 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes I meant the auto detect feature.

Try it again and see what happens. I havent tried to do the custom button programming so I cant speak for that. But maybe its just not good at the custom stuff.
Sometimes when it learns the resistance of the buttons, it gets a bad connection. There are only two wires from the steering wheel buttons, and three buttons share each wire, so if one button doesn't work, it's a bad/inconsistent resistance read, either from a poor (non-soldered) connection or the button itself is a little worn and giving an inconsistent press. If three buttons don't work, it's probably a bad wire connection (red or green from the vehicle side of the ASWC connection). If all six don't work or are intermittent, it's probably the ground wire for the ASWC steering wheel reference (yellow on the vehicle side of the ASWC connection).

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (04-11-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe
So for the ground wire, I have to connect both wires together and ground it to the vehicle as well? I have Bose with my set up and the aftermarket radio isn’t working at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List