Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:11 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Well....that was exhausting. Think I'm finally ready to get this party started after reading through all 146 pages. Still want to throw up when I think about what I had to spend on a JDM double din trim kit.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:14 PM
Received 396 Likes on 359 Posts
Did u really read through all 146 pages??

Old 06-28-2020, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Did u really read through all 146 pages??
Lol, while I didn’t read every post I really did go through all of the pages. Mainly out of respect for Wrathernaut and the other members who put a ton of effort into this resource. Last thing I wanted to do was be the guy that asked a question that was covered a million times.

Last edited by G_zus; 06-30-2020 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:01 PM
OK I think I'm at the point where I need some advice. This is my first head unit install so I'm taking my time doing it. I have a 2003 G35 Coupe 6MT w/ Bose, no factory NAV. I'm attaching a picture of where I've landed and reference points:

A)The WHITE/GREEN wire of the ASWC needs to connect to the GREEN wire from the M39 harness?
B)The GRAY/RED wire of the ASWC needs to connect to the RED wire from the M39 harness?
C)The RED wire of the ASWC needs to connect to the RED wire from the Kenwood harness? So there will be 3 wires (RED from ASWC, RED from PAC, & BLUE from PAC) going into the RED wire of the Kenwood harness?
D)The BLACK wire of the ASWC needs to connect to the YELLOW wire from the M39 harness, then that connection is grounded to the chassis? This ground should be done separately from the PAC/Head Unit harness ground?
E)The BLACK wire from the PAC needs to connect to the BLACK wire from the Kenwood harness, then that connection is ground to the chassis? This ground should be done separately from the AWSC ground?Also, what’s the best strategy for the grounds? Do I need to get some ring tongue terminals and screw the ring end into the chassis? I read that the metal radio housing is adequate, is that correct?

I appreciate any help!

Greyhame (09-20-2021)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:13 AM
Please disregard post above. I figured it out and my install was successful. #TrustTheWiringChart

Wrathernaut (07-05-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe 6mt
JDM double din climate buttons not working HELP ASAP PLS

Hey guys, i’m new to the forums and I followed Wrathernauts shopping list to install JDM double din dash kit. radio and steering controls work perfect. my (used) jdm bezel however isn’t working. after connecting it to the existing climate control harness, there is no power going to the bezel (no lights turn on and none of the buttons do anything). am I missing something? is it not just plug and play? could it be a faulty DD trim kit? any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by jackwest25; 08-11-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 PM
If the old one works but the new one doesnt, then I would expect it to be faulty. Might be an easy repair though like a broken wire or contact inside.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:53 AM
G35 Coupe 6mt
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
If the old one works but the new one doesnt, then I would expect it to be faulty. Might be an easy repair though like a broken wire or contact inside.
Thats the thing, I tried to put back in the oem radio and controls, however, same thing! now those AC controls arent working either! checked fuses but still nothing. any other suggestions?

Old 08-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Check for power at the harness using a multimeter. If no power, then its probably a fuse somewhere.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:54 AM
G35
Metra w nav

Can you modify the metra kit to fit an 05-07 w/nav? Or does that only work with the JDM trim?

Old 10-16-2020, 09:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well in my g35 06 sedan I fully rewired my stereo.

all Bose stuff removed.
installed an alpine ine-w977hd head unit, Audison ap-f8.9bit dsp/amp powering 2 sets of Audison Av-k6 component speakers (oem spot for front tweets and cut out rear door panel for rear tweets) active crossovers. Audison 1000w rms amp powering 2x av12 subs with a custom box in trunk.

8.9bit has 8 speaker outputs and each ch is running one speaker and 9th ch rca is split to the sub amps.

front/rear tweeters hi pass at 2.5khz
front woofers band pass 125hz to 2.5khz
rear woofers band pass 80hz to 2.5khz
subs low pass at 80hz
they will change after I fine tune the system.

0ga Power and ground wires. Thinking about a cap now.
ran all new speaker wires from amps to speakers. All oem speaker wires are just taped and tied out of the way and not used.

I used a iDatalink maestro SW for my steering wheel controls instead of ASWC-1.

also added a alpine direct cam switcher with front and rear direct cams (putting in reverse backup cam turns on and going into first front cam turns on for 10 sec then goes back to radio).

I also wired in the oem nav (didn’t swap to nav cluster yet). And added a video switcher so I will be able to have my alpine radio send video onto the oem nav screen.

I demo my stereo for my work so I get the good stuff and still thinking of adding more crap I will not use lol

as for the molex plugs, I just drilled through it and pushed 4 wires thru it for the woofer and tweeter.

I can give more info if anyone needs it.

oh the metra kit will not give you the climate control diagnostics by holding off after you turn on the ignition.

I used the jdm trim kit with oem Nissan climate controls. Then had to get the nav version of the jdm kit because I added oem nav to the car.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:13 PM
Hey quick question. I pulled a head unit from another g35 with no bose. I'm re using his harness's but have no sound from speakers due to the amp wires not being connected and turning on the amp. Here's some pictures. Could you help with what I should splice together ? Thanks.

These two are labeled amp turn on and amp ground.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Rburson
Hey quick question. I pulled a head unit from another g35 with no bose. I'm re using his harness's but have no sound from speakers due to the amp wires not being connected and turning on the amp. Here's some pictures. Could you help with what I should splice together ? Thanks.

These two are labeled amp turn on and amp ground.

if you use a non Bose car but a Bose radio you will not get any sound.

give me more info on what radio you trying to install into the car and I’ll walk you through it.

your car is a Bose or non Bose?

I see you using a Bose wire adapter.

I assume your car is a Bose, to turn on the amp you need to connect the blue/white wire to the radio (blue/white) also make sure the black and black/white wires on harness are connected to black on radio.
blue wire connect it to blue wire on radio but if radio does not have it then connect it to the blue/white wire. Some aftermarket radios only have the blue/white wire only.
the yellow and red are same color on the radio.

yellow constant 12v
red switched 12v
black and black/white are ground
orange illumination
the 4 rca should be connected to rca on radio, do not cut them off and connect to speaker level outputs on radio. It will scream when you just turn volume to 1 (Bose car)
white rca left front
grey rca right front
green rca rear left
purple rca rear right

If you have more questions ask and I’ll reply within minutes after getting notification.

This is my new setup. My car was a non nav car, I added own nav to it and it works even without the nav cluster (I did connect the bus wires tho). Only thing that does not function is the fuel economy and when I’m driving and I open the door I don’t get the notification. I can live with that. Next I’m adding a mod to intercept the rgb signal between the screen and the nav unit and hook it up to my alpine so I’ll be able to send videos to the nav screen.

Last edited by romansan2008; 10-27-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Rburson (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 10:40 PM
Thanks for your quick reply ! I connected the blue/white and the ground inline with the other wires from the harness and everything is working properly now. My car is a bose car and the car I got the stereo/harness from was not . Stereo installed was a Pioneer. MUCH better sound quality now !

Old 10-27-2020, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Rburson
Thanks for your quick reply ! I connected the blue/white and the ground inline with the other wires from the harness and everything is working properly now. My car is a bose car and the car I got the stereo/harness from was not . Stereo installed was a Pioneer. MUCH better sound quality now !
that’s good to hear, just make sure the speaker wires from the harness are connected to the pioneer RCA outputs and not the 8 wires coming off the power harness. If it’s connected to the speaker output wires instead of rca it will be loud at very low volume (when phone rings it will scare the hell out of you when it’s Bluetooth connected to radio) and will overdrive your cars amp at higher volume levels and may ever hurt the Bose amp.

the 8 speaker wires coming from the main harness of the pioneer head unit shouldn’t be connected to anything in your cars setup (Bose stereo). Use rca connection only. If the rca endings where cut off the adapter harness solder them back on (color wire is the + and shield is -)

looks like you have aswc-1 too (I think I seen the plug for it in one of the pics), how is it working for you?
I personally picked the maestro SW from iDatalink for my car. It uses internet explorer with a GUI to flash and program all the features (short and long press) and I found it easier to configure.
on top of that, it interfaces with my K40 (k40.com) so all alerts are displayed on the radio using data connection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List