Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, so i've decided once i get everything in the mail im going to attempt to do my pioneer p4300 install on my own. When i got my 12" type r and 500watt amp added in my car. I'm pretty sure they just spliced into the 6x9's on the rear shelf.(im an 05 coupe)I had already asked you if the sub volume on my deck would still be able to actually work. You answered what i thought, probly not. So i was just wondering what i'd have to do to be able to get it to work.(you might have to give me a dumb downed answer just to make sure i understand.lol.) Here are pictures of what my amp wiring currently looks like. The 2 black green and purple wires run up into my rear shelf.

Thanks in advance, you've already been so helpful.

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-1.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-2.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-3.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by emceephi
I'm super broke right now, but my car's radio/ac has been broken even longer.

I have an 03 sedan with navigation. I looked at your instructions to trim the JDM dash kit to fit the navigation, but it looks like that's for the 05-07 model. Can I do the same to the 03-04 dash kit? Or does the 03-04 JDM kit already fit both non-navi and navigation models?

OR I was just thinking of getting a cheaper metra kit since I'm broke and it's much cheaper. Could I just remove my navigation and install the metra kit? To be honest, I don't even really care about the navigation. I use my phone to find places now.
03-04 JDM doesn't require any modifications for use with navigation-equipped models.

The Metra doesn't fit very well on 03-04 w/navigation, the curves around the navigation stuff doesn't match quite right. If you can find the cubby from a non-nav system, you can swap out fairly easily.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by WinnipgG35
Hey, so i've decided once i get everything in the mail im going to attempt to do my pioneer p4300 install on my own. When i got my 12" type r and 500watt amp added in my car. I'm pretty sure they just spliced into the 6x9's on the rear shelf.(im an 05 coupe)I had already asked you if the sub volume on my deck would still be able to actually work. You answered what i thought, probly not. So i was just wondering what i'd have to do to be able to get it to work.(you might have to give me a dumb downed answer just to make sure i understand.lol.) Here are pictures of what my amp wiring currently looks like. The 2 black green and purple wires run up into my rear shelf.

Thanks in advance, you've already been so helpful.
Just run some RCA cables from the 4300 to the trunk. The center console's fairly easy to run wires through, so long as you have a stick to push the wires under the carpet of the rear hump to under the seats.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
To get the head unit to control the sub individually, you need to run RCA cables from the back of the head unit to the amp in the trunk. You connect the rca's to the ones on the back of the head unit that are labelled "sub out" or something similar to that

Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
bout to be installing a panasonic cq-vd6503u dd in my 04 coupe 6mt.

i already have a jl 500/1 and 300/4 setup in the trunk. my only question is do i have to run individual speaker wires from the adapter harness all the way to the harness in the trunk or can i leave it hooked up like regular up front?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It should be RCA's from the HU to the amps. Then speaker wire from your amps to your speakers.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
right now i have the speaker wires connected from the factory harness in the trunk to the amps. same with the RCAs to the amps.

the coupe im takin the DD out of has new speaker wire from the adapter harness to the factory speaker wires in the trunk.

so theres no way i can keep it wired up the way it is now to power the speakers?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I'd recommend running your own RCAs from the new headunit to your amp, but I am using the factory wring from the trunk to the doors and I can't imagine that you'd get audibly better quality audio if you ran your own.
And what is the reason for running new RCA's? Is it because of sub control or is there more to it than that

Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by shocker611
And what is the reason for running new RCA's? Is it because of sub control or is there more to it than that
sub control, head units simply adjust the signal pushed through the "sub out" RCA line. so thats the one you hook your amp up too. its a single RCA line so if your amp has 2 inputs(like mine) you might want to use a Y adapter.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by the_coupe
right now i have the speaker wires connected from the factory harness in the trunk to the amps. same with the RCAs to the amps.

the coupe im takin the DD out of has new speaker wire from the adapter harness to the factory speaker wires in the trunk.

so theres no way i can keep it wired up the way it is now to power the speakers?
are you just installing a new DD? if so you should just be fine w/ the HU swap if you already have the aftermarket amp installed.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Steezy777
sub control, head units simply adjust the signal pushed through the "sub out" RCA line. so thats the one you hook your amp up too. its a single RCA line so if your amp has 2 inputs(like mine) you might want to use a Y adapter.
Yeah but I do also have a separate sub **** control and switch already installed. Also wouldnt it be a pain if they did splice together my amp lines? Wouldnt I have to unsplice the lines to be able to run a seperate line?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah but I do also have a separate sub **** control and switch already installed. Also wouldnt it be a pain if they did splice together my amp lines? Wouldnt I have to unsplice the lines to be able to run a seperate line?
Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you wounldnt need to unsplice anything, just unplug those existing wires, ****, and switch from the amp and use the new rca's and head unit to control the sub

Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
ahh ic, i bought my amp used so it didnt come w/ a gain adjust **** like my previous one. i can adjust it thru the HU but i never do, i only use my HU as an on/off switch for my subs for when the wife is driving with(bass gives her a headache :/)

when you say your "amp lines" you mean the RCAs coming from your HU to your amp? or are you using speaker level outputs to your amp? if your want ot control your amp thru your HU also then you just have to add another RCA line. no need to unsplice anything if you dont want to. because your gunna have to run another anyways(assuming the spliced one doesnt have both ends) if your planning to control it through the HU too. but then agian idk why anyone would splice an RCA when they can just get a Y adapter... i hope they didnt splice your RCA lines lol

when i first hooked up my amps i ran my "front out" RCAs to my amp for my compnents, and then my "rear out" RCAs to my sub's amp. then my sub's amp had an output so i could link it to my component amp so i could send the "rear out" signal to the component amp too. when i switched my sub's amp to the "sub out" line from my HU, i just added a new RCA and moved the original "rear out" one over to the compnent amp.

The following users liked this post:
shocker611 (07-30-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
03-04 JDM doesn't require any modifications for use with navigation-equipped models.

The Metra doesn't fit very well on 03-04 w/navigation, the curves around the navigation stuff doesn't match quite right. If you can find the cubby from a non-nav system, you can swap out fairly easily.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going the metra route and scrapping my navi. Now does anyone know where I can find the cubby for cheap?

If it turns out to be expensive, then I'll just have to go the JDM route. Or maybe just hack the metra kits apart to make the navi fit. I don't care how my car looks anymore. I just want a working radio and AC!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by emceephi
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going the metra route and scrapping my navi. Now does anyone know where I can find the cubby for cheap?

If it turns out to be expensive, then I'll just have to go the JDM route. Or maybe just hack the metra kits apart to make the navi fit. I don't care how my car looks anymore. I just want a working radio and AC!
i know one guy modded his stock trim to fit a double din. if i find the link ill post it for ya

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List