Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BullDawg36
Just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. I am planning on not using the Bose head or the amp, but keeping factory nav operational.
I have ordered the JDM kit from Grubbs

I still need to order the 70-7550 and the Antenna adapter. Is there anything else that you feel I will need? Not concerned w/steering wheel controls right now, will add later.

is there a piece I should order in order to convert the JDM DD to a single din? Will the pocket from the Metra kit work???

thanks!

you will just need a mounting bracket, i took mine from my 350z so i never had to buy another, but you shuodl be able to get it at your local car audio shop for around $20. btw i checked mine and its the metra one, but now i remember that i had a little bit of trouble finding a trim piece that looked good w/ the JDM finish. but its do-able

Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by SIR NUPE A LOT
So the Metra Axxess will not work? From people's opinions this seems like the easiest to install/program?
yeah my bad, i failed to mention the axxess

Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any good places to get either the JDM or the Metra DD kit or the Pioneer stereo in Canada?? When I try to find something on Amazon.ca the price is a lot higher or the site just doesn't have it.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tyman3
Are there any good places to get either the JDM or the Metra DD kit or the Pioneer stereo in Canada?? When I try to find something on Amazon.ca the price is a lot higher or the site just doesn't have it.
get teh JDM one from Riverside Infiniti on Ebay, i just drove up to Riverside but they sell a lot of em on Ebay...

Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trickstyle
get teh JDM one from Riverside Infiniti on Ebay, i just drove up to Riverside but they sell a lot of em on Ebay...
I couldn't find Riverside Infiniti on eBay, but I found Beshoff Infiniti which seems to have sold a lot of these things

Would these work in a 2003 G35 Coupe with a Bose system?? I haven't seen this type of AC Controller in this thread but it says it works with the 03-04 G35's

These 2 together:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-INFINITI-...item27b4a2e40a

and

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-DOUBLE-DI...item2a12e072e0

Or would I be better off just getting this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-INFINITI-...item2a11c2e4b9

The price is around $350 for either the first 2 together, or just the last one including shipping

Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
im at work so i cant go to ebay atm but i paid a lil under 150 for my JDM trim and my AC board, well worth it and still satisfied so depending on where u are, i'd suggest even asking local dealerships if they sell the trim. thats not only $50 saved on shipping but you get it faster too! I drove 45m to Riverside cuz i wanted it done that day, barely made it b4 they closed and then installed it that night. took me a while to take the center console down teh first time but it was well worth it in the end!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyman3
I couldn't find Riverside Infiniti on eBay, but I found Beshoff Infiniti which seems to have sold a lot of these things

Would these work in a 2003 G35 Coupe with a Bose system?? I haven't seen this type of AC Controller in this thread but it says it works with the 03-04 G35's

These 2 together:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-INFINITI-...item27b4a2e40a

and

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-DOUBLE-DI...item2a12e072e0

Or would I be better off just getting this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-INFINITI-...item2a11c2e4b9

The price is around $350 for either the first 2 together, or just the last one including shipping
Isn't Beshoff a sponsor here? You might try PM'ing them about a price for a member here.

If you haven't PM'd Grubbs Infiniti (link on page 1) for a price for the year and color combo you want, you're not doing yourself any favors either. They're listed on this shopping list for a reason

Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Revision Notes - 2 September, 2011

Phil from Grubbs Infiniti has just received some of the long-lost JDM DDin Navigation Trim!

This means you don't have to rely on hacksaws and dremels anymore!

I have also been told that these are the same price as the non-navigation trim, so they're not abusing their monopoly either

The following users liked this post:
acee (04-22-2012)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, I'd only seen evidence of one of these in a vehicle in Japan before he sent me the photo. I contacted several JDM-specialty suppliers and even had a brother-in-law in Japan try and get them. None ever could, so they're either has them available again, or Phil from Grubbs has connections and did something we'd rather not talk about to get these.

I suppose I can still modify trim for those who want to purchase from somebody else... but I really, really doubt anybody's going to beat Grubb's pricing on these shipped right to you versus another source and you paying shipping to and from me to have a non-navigation trim modified.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course all this has to come out just a couple weeks after I finish my project. LOL.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs up

I know, and I really felt terrible about that!

Just a refresher, I have in-stock:
03-04 JDM Double Din Kit with greish/willowish/beigesh trim instead of black
05-07 JDM Double Din Kit With Factory Navagation Trim and Single AC
05-07 JDM Double Din Kit With Factory Navagation Trim and Dual AC
05-07 JDM Double Din Kit without Navagation and single AC
05-07 JDM Double Din Kit without Navagation and Dual AC

Out of stock but on order, hope to have in the next few weeks
03-04 JDM Double Din Kit with BLACK trim

PM me for further details!!

Phil Johnson
Grubbs Infiniti Internet Parts
866-789-0208

Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new stereo install

I just did a test run of my new kenwood single din stereo and everything worked perfect.
I did not take wrathernaut's advise but I followed his directions to the letter.
1. I used the metra kit and installed the stock nav
2. I used the 7551 wire harness
3. I used the Pac steering wheel control
The reason I did this is because I got everything from Crutchfield and it came as a package:
Kenwood BT945U refurb - $161
Metra kit - $79 with purchase of stereo and $20 off coupon (search internet for coupon code)
7551 - Free
antenna adapter - free
pac S wheel button adapter $70 - (all free shipping)
I was able to mod the metra dash so the nav fit perfect. The key is to slightly file the bottom outside curves of the nav button face plate so it fits lower, flush and perfectly into the opening of the metra (10 minute job with a hand file; too small a job for a dremel). This allows the pop-up nav screen to fit with no obstruction or unsightly filling at the top of the metra dash piece. there is no filling on the metra piece at all and every thing sits flush; looks like they were made to go together. Accept for the cheaper looking buttons on the matra ac controls the fit and finish (mine is gray/titanium) looks as good as original. I made a detailed two part video of the assembly/mod and i will post soon. If one can pull the stereo, they can easily add the stock nav to the Metra

The key to the 7551 and the pac is to wire them exactly as described and detailed in Wrathernauts posts. There are a couple of ground connections that I think folks miss and this causes low volume and inop wheel button control.
I laid out the entire collection of completed harnesses with labels and videoed the exact setup.

My Kenwood BT945u sound incredible with the stock speakers and amp. Blue tooth works perfect and I like the pocket under the single din; which I use for my ipod, phone, and other accessory storage as i drive with them hooked to the stereo via the USB cord. I did not realized how bad my malfunctioning Blows stereo sounded until it was replaced.
Thanks wrathernaut and everyone who posted with stereo install tips. I now can use my phone and other devices with my modern stereo on a budget of about $300...plus i have control over my a/c, heater, vents and fan.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by tom patten
I just did a test run of my new kenwood single din stereo and everything worked perfect.
I did not take wrathernaut's advise but I followed his directions to the letter.
1. I used the metra kit and installed the stock nav
2. I used the 7551 wire harness
3. I used the Pac steering wheel control
The reason I did this is because I got everything from Crutchfield and it came as a package:
Kenwood BT945U refurb - $161
Metra kit - $79 with purchase of stereo and $20 off coupon (search internet for coupon code)
7551 - Free
antenna adapter - free
pac S wheel button adapter $70 - (all free shipping)
I was able to mod the metra dash so the nav fit perfect. The key is to slightly file the bottom outside curves of the nav button face plate so it fits lower, flush and perfectly into the opening of the metra (10 minute job with a hand file; too small a job for a dremel). This allows the pop-up nav screen to fit with no obstruction or unsightly filling at the top of the metra dash piece. there is no filling on the metra piece at all and every thing sits flush; looks like they were made to go together. Accept for the cheaper looking buttons on the matra ac controls the fit and finish (mine is gray/titanium) looks as good as original. I made a detailed two part video of the assembly/mod and i will post soon. If one can pull the stereo, they can easily add the stock nav to the Metra

The key to the 7551 and the pac is to wire them exactly as described and detailed in Wrathernauts posts. There are a couple of ground connections that I think folks miss and this causes low volume and inop wheel button control.
I laid out the entire collection of completed harnesses with labels and videoed the exact setup.

My Kenwood BT945u sound incredible with the stock speakers and amp. Blue tooth works perfect and I like the pocket under the single din; which I use for my ipod, phone, and other accessory storage as i drive with them hooked to the stereo via the USB cord. I did not realized how bad my malfunctioning Blows stereo sounded until it was replaced.
Thanks wrathernaut and everyone who posted with stereo install tips. I now can use my phone and other devices with my modern stereo on a budget of about $300...plus i have control over my a/c, heater, vents and fan.
Can't wait to see the write-up on the metra modification for navigation.

Your satisfaction with about $300 parts and some effort really makes me baffled that anybody would spend anything to keep the stock stereo the minute it's out of warranty.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Guys,
just for all the Double Din enthusiasts, there are a few more options on the JDM trim, for the 2003-2004 where the whole finisher is painted either Black, or Willow, how much interest is there in that? I normally dealt with the Silver/Pewter finish with color wings where the vent goes, but what is the concensious opinon on the whole finisher being the color of your interior? I can get both Black and Willow, but don't know if people like this look, I prefer the Silver finish, but wanted to see what you guys thought, I can certainly get them, and the price would still be the same far as I know.

Phil

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List