DIY: Rear Wheel Bearing Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
I think I did use a short socket extension after I took the picture. Haha

Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update; While assembling all, I realized I had made a big mistake yesterday. I had used a 8lb sledge hammer to remove the stuck axle but it had damaged the threads. I spent 2 hours to repair threads with a steel saw. I guess 8lb hammer was too big. lol... I would use 4lb + propane torch next time... haha.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 AM
I've done that on Nissan Maxima axles before. It sucks have to file the threads!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I just replace the front hub/bearing it comes as one part, it was easier than stealing a candy from a kid hand, but I still hear the noise that was bothering me, I guess I thought it was the front bearing but, I'm starting to think it really is the rear one. I read the whole thing so I'm about to buy the parts to replace the rear bearing this one seems harder than the front one, but I think I will remove the axle to gain better access to those four bolts and also re grease the axle thing to prevent that clicking.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by becundo
I just replace the front hub/bearing it comes as one part, it was easier than stealing a candy from a kid hand, but I still hear the noise that was bothering me, I guess I thought it was the front bearing but, I'm starting to think it really is the rear one. I read the whole thing so I'm about to buy the parts to replace the rear bearing this one seems harder than the front one, but I think I will remove the axle to gain better access to those four bolts and also re grease the axle thing to prevent that clicking.
Great idea, I COVERED mine with anti-seize...Same properties as the Molykote 77...

Old 01-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, I tried to change my front bearings this weekend but failed. I wasn't able to get the caliper bolts off. I took the large caliper off that houses the pads, but the actual caliper I couldn't get off. The bolts for the caliper are 22mm, and I used a breaker bar, but it wouldn't budge. How else can I loosen those bolts? I put all my weight on it but it didn't budge a bit. I sprayed some WD40, but still no go. I got my rotors changed last year so I know that the mechanics took those 2 bolts off not too long ago. I have an impact wrench, but it is too big to slide in the wheel well. Is there any other way to loosen those bolts mechincally?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by surma884
Guys, I tried to change my front bearings this weekend but failed. I wasn't able to get the caliper bolts off. I took the large caliper off that houses the pads, but the actual caliper I couldn't get off. The bolts for the caliper are 22mm, and I used a breaker bar, but it wouldn't budge. How else can I loosen those bolts? I put all my weight on it but it didn't budge a bit. I sprayed some WD40, but still no go. I got my rotors changed last year so I know that the mechanics took those 2 bolts off not too long ago. I have an impact wrench, but it is too big to slide in the wheel well. Is there any other way to loosen those bolts mechincally?

Thanks
I know that this is obvious but people do forget...left loosey, right tighty? and since the bolt is on the back, make certain that your spinning left as if you were facing the same way as the bolt

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
I know that this is obvious but people do forget...left loosey, right tighty? and since the bolt is on the back, make certain that your spinning left as if you were facing the same way as the bolt
Yeah, I made sure of that. I used a ratchet wrench so I was turning it the right way. To give you a visual: I need to change my passenger side. So if I am facing the front passenger brake rotor, I would need to turn the bolts to the RIGHT. This would mean that I am turning the bolts LEFT if I were inside the engine.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM
I am sorry, but if you don't know the directions of bolt threads you shouldn't even work on your car... Lol

Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
^So unnecessary- shame on you sir!

Anywho, just ordered new hubs and bearings for the rears from orderinfinitiparts.com for $380 shipped. My "whoomp whoomp" noises have turned into "thoomp thoomp", lol!!!! I don't have the axle click but think I should grease the axle anyway. Only question is, what portion of the axle am I greasing? The threads only, right? And what's a good brand of grease?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by tyau
I am sorry, but if you don't know the directions of bolt threads you shouldn't even work on your car... Lol
Are you saying that the caliper bolts are not lefty loosey/righty tighty? They are the opposite?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
ignore him, you had it right. the passenger side would be turning right to loosen.

you might need more leverage on your breaker wrench. I'm not sure if you have extra room or if your car is on a lift but if you can insert a pipe onto that breaker wrench, it should do the trick. Make sure it's a nice and durable breaker wrench. Perhaps tapping the breaker wrench with a 4lb hammer can help also. Don't use the ratchet, it'll break. Most of the bolts in that general area are usually a pain in the a** to break loose.

Last edited by Deezflip; 01-31-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
^So unnecessary- shame on you sir!

Anywho, just ordered new hubs and bearings for the rears from orderinfinitiparts.com for $380 shipped. My "whoomp whoomp" noises have turned into "thoomp thoomp", lol!!!! I don't have the axle click but think I should grease the axle anyway. Only question is, what portion of the axle am I greasing? The threads only, right? And what's a good brand of grease?
I'd put anti-seize on the threads and on the flat part of the axle that almost touches the hub (at the end of the threads).

Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
So I was able to remove the four hub assembly bolts without having to remove the driveshaft from the differential. But even though the bolts are out, the hub is frozen in place! I've been going to town on it with a hammer and just now rented a slide hammer to see if that would help. All that ended up doing was pulling the hub out of the bearing!!! Any ideas?!

OP, when you used the bearing puller and seperated your hub and beating, dd you have any problems getting your bearing off the axle?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Might have to chisel it out. Good luck and be careful not to damage the hub.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Rear Wheel Bearing Removal