DIY: Rear Wheel Bearing Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed the same thing with the Timken brand/packaging - I think they may be the only game in town.
Like I posted earlier, I was able to freeze the hub for a few hours and warm up the new bearing and it only took minimal force to seat the hub.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyrone-Biggums
I noticed the same thing with the Timken brand/packaging - I think they may be the only game in town.
Like I posted earlier, I was able to freeze the hub for a few hours and warm up the new bearing and it only took minimal force to seat the hub.
I think Timken is just a distributor for the OEM bearings. It actually says so on the packaging that the parts contained are redistributed by Timken from various manufacturers.

When i did both my front bearings on my X, i bought one OEM bearing and one Timken....both were identical NTN bearings. I think the NTN is in fact the only game in town, but you have two placed to by it from. I have yet to see of any other manufacturer.

So i wouldn't hesitate to choose the Timken BM500006 over an OEM rear bearing. Get whatver you can get cheaper, which usually is the Timken-packaged bearing

BTW, i just completed one of my front bearings on my X. Similiar to the rear bearings, but slightly different obviously due to front suspension geometry. I took a different approach than the rear bearings and chose to remove the bearing/hub as an assembly rather than pull the hub from off the car using the axle shaft as a pushing off point.

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...-bearings.html

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 08-09-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Infiniti charges 75 bucks to press bad bearing out and new one in if you carry in the hub.....anyone have ideas on finding complete assembly for the rear?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Over the weekend did my wheel bearing. Took me about an hour and a half but i wasn't rushing it and just took my time.

Only thing i found to give me the problem was my Hotchkis sway bar. Since my setting is to the full stiffest on the rear, i had to unbolt the rear sway bar. I did not unbolt the endlinks just the mounting points. This gave me enough room to move it out of the way to get the axle out.

I don't know where others got their parts from, but mine ran me a lot.
NEW HUB (from infiniti) - $170
REAR BEARING (parts authority) - $70
AXLE NUT/ REAR SEAL (from Infiniti) - $32

I did find a shop that pressed in the bearing for me for $20, most other places i spoke to wanted anywhere from $50, $70 and close to $125

I think if others post where they got their Hubs from this would help others save money as in my search that was the cheapest i found.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Ebay for the hub

Here's one for $122 + $12 s/h

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INFIN...Q5fAccessories

Rockauto for the bearing: Timken BM500006 (trust me it's an OEM) $45.75

For the press, if you have other uses, Harbor Frieght sells a 12-ton for $100 or so. I show how to do the pressing on the front AWD bearings in the link i posted 3-4 posts ago.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hopefully i wont have to come back to this thread for another 50k miles ... no offense lol

but if i do i will sure penny pinch next time around more.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Awesome write up, but unfortunately I'm too lazy today to do this so off to S.Motors Infiniti in the morning, I could have the click TSB or bad wheel bearing.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
got a new rear timken wheel bearing lying around if anyone wants it

Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Anybody tried using the M35 rear wheel bearing/hub assembly? It looks to be the same, or very similar...
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1490270

Old 01-02-2012, 04:55 PM
This is what happens when you don't catch it in time.
End result, you have to change the hub & the bearing.

Cost :
Parts : $152 bucks...hub ($120) & bearing ($32)..free shipping on both...online OEM Nissan parts.
Labor :Free (me)

Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by JaE35
Infiniti charges 75 bucks to press bad bearing out and new one in if you carry in the hub.....anyone have ideas on finding complete assembly for the rear?
Service adviser/manager/whatever dude at the South Atlanta Infiniti told me one hundred seventy-five dollars just to press the new bearing into my hub. He didn't look in any book, though. He was just like, um yeah uh that'll be $175. I wish these guys would not screw with people. Either he didn't know the real price or I suspect they don't even have a standard charge for that and he was just trying to make sure he could make as big a buck as possible. I guess I'll just try to look for a bearing/hub already pressed. And I have this fear about whoever I go to to get a new bearing pressed into a hub (either a new one or mine) not having it in there completely flush and square and getting vibration from that. I so hate when I have to take my car or any parts of it anywhere.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Anyone have the part numbers for the rear axle nut and rear seal?

Parts I ordered: timkin rear wheel bearing, oem rear wheel hub

Parts I need: rear axle nut and rear seal

That sums it up right? Need the part number so I can source it cheap.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Why not reuse the nut? That's what I did on both rear axles. I also reused the 6 nuts/washers on each axle that connects to the differential.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
shot a video to show to how remove wheel bearing and hub assembly without separating the hub from the bearing.

http://infinitihelp.com/diy/fx/proje...ub_removal.php

The following 3 users liked this post by bythabay:
GreenPenguin (04-16-2012), obsdnoblivion (02-17-2012), WILLIE BEANS (02-08-2013)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM
How difficult is it to screw up a bearing when pressing it onto a hub? I replaced the hub and bearing on the rear right, where I thought the noise was coming from, and still have a hum toward the rear. It's different from what it was before, but I still hear one. I was skeptical as to whether the left side bearing was bad as well and that that was the persisting hum I hear, or if maybe the Pep Boys dude somehow screwed up my bearing when he pressed it onto the hub. Is the a right and a wrong way to do this? Which should be on top when the pressing begins? Does it matter?

Anyway, I pulled the left rear hub/bearing off and it feels kinda jerky as well when I try to spin them. I think this bearing is for sure worn out pretty well, too, but I still don't have total confidence in the right side bearing/hub that Pep Boys pressed for me. That dang bearing cost me a hundred bux and I paid them 43 bux for the pressing. Wish I had my own press. Can't I lower the car down on a hub and bearing to press them? (Nevermind that.)

Is anyone one of you guys in the Atlanta area that has access to a press and knows what they are doing that can do this for me?

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Rear Wheel Bearing Removal