need feedback on cusco zero1/zero2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need feedback on cusco zero1/zero2

does any1 have this installed on their coupe?

i'm considering this due to the fact that the hks rs is on backorder and no1 has it in stock.

i've looked through gsedan35's thread on suspension but there wasn't much on the cusco zero1 or zero2

anyone who has this installed a review would be great

thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Searching on my350 will give you the reviews your looking for.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=zero2

You do get more for your money with the Cusco Zero2 vs HKS RS. Full height adjustability is pretty nice thing to have and both system's should be about the same street pricing. Plus my own testing prefer's a front spring rate biased setup so the Cusco has that too.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Here's a link to pm a member on my350, he has Zero2's

http://www.my350z.com/forum/member.php?u=22428

Sent him a pm telling him you heard that he has them, does he like them, how many miles, would he buy them again, you know the drill

Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Almost forgot, IMO their's not enough of a price spread between the Zero1 and Zero2 to even come close to justifying the Zero1. I'm sure the dampning is set just fine out of the factory, but not being able to change it if my tastes differ, makes the upcharge for the Zero2 worth it.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I have the Zero2's on my sedan and I absolutely love them. My criteria in choosing coilovers was the following.

1. Full adjustability in ride height and spring preload
2. Able to set ride height at stock or near stock 350Z levels
3. Reasonable spring rates since my car is a daily driver which sees the track only 2-3 times a year
4. Reasonable wide range of damping adjustment (meaning I don't care if it's 5 way, 16 way, or 32 way, all I care is that there better be a big difference from full soft to full hard.)
5. Increased handling performance to have fun on the track and streets but yet remain reasonably comfortable for the street.

IMO, the Zero2's hit on all these points. With the help of a fellow 350z track junkie I was able to get my ride height set to about 1/2" below stock levels of a 350Z. Pretty good considering my vehicle weighs about 150-200lbs more than the same model year 350z. The damping adjustment is only 5 way, 5 being full stiff, on these but I think it's perfect for my needs. Having the ability to minutely adjust damping may be beneficial for someone who knows what they are doing but I'll freely admit that I don't so having less adjustability with 5 distinct settings works perfect for me. I started out on 2 which is perfectly fine for the street. 4 and 5 should only be used for the track where the roads are paved nice and smooth unless you are a glutton for punishment. Right now I'm on 3 which is the best compromise between street comfort and performance although I've noticed quick dips at higher speeds on the freeway is a bit much where 2 would be more forgiving on teh rebound. But in general the rebound control on these things are immensely better than stock for sure. Everything just feels more controlled. I'm sure the 10kg/mm springs in the front help out a lot as well. Body roll is reduced greatly as well even on the stock sway bars and turn in response is much better. Overall going from my stock sport suspension to these was night and day. I'm going to take the car out to Thunderhill soon so I'll get a gauge of how these perform on the track compared to my other days using stock or near stock setups. I know these things are already beyond my ability as a driver but I'm sure they'll peform great and meet my criteria of being capable on the track and yet reasonable on the street.

I also want to reinforce that if you buy these opt for the rubber mount since the pillow mounts make a racket and aren't worth it for the slight performance advantage. The rubber mounts are also cheaper. When my installer, 350z track junkie guy with the Truechoice/Unitech racing coilover setup, first test drove my car his first words were "Wow, it's so quiet" in reference to comparing his setup to mine.

Last edited by dklau33; 06-08-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
great help thanks guys

Old 06-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by dklau33
I have the Zero2's on my sedan and I absolutely love them. My criteria in choosing coilovers was the following.

1. Full adjustability in ride height and spring preload
2. Able to set ride height at stock or near stock 350Z levels
3. Reasonable spring rates since my car is a daily driver which sees the track only 2-3 times a year
4. Reasonable wide range of damping adjustment (meaning I don't care if it's 5 way, 16 way, or 32 way, all I care is that there better be a big difference from full soft to full hard.)
5. Increased handling performance to have fun on the track and streets but yet remain reasonably comfortable for the street.

IMO, the Zero2's hit on all these points. With the help of a fellow 350z track junkie I was able to get my ride height set to about 1/2" below stock levels of a 350Z. Pretty good considering my vehicle weighs about 150-200lbs more than the same model year 350z. The damping adjustment is only 5 way, 5 being full stiff, on these but I think it's perfect for my needs. Having the ability to minutely adjust damping may be beneficial for someone who knows what they are doing but I'll freely admit that I don't so having less adjustability with 5 distinct settings works perfect for me. I started out on 2 which is perfectly fine for the street. 4 and 5 should only be used for the track where the roads are paved nice and smooth unless you are a glutton for punishment. Right now I'm on 3 which is the best compromise between street comfort and performance although I've noticed quick dips at higher speeds on the freeway is a bit much where 2 would be more forgiving on teh rebound. But in general the rebound control on these things are immensely better than stock for sure. Everything just feels more controlled. I'm sure the 10kg/mm springs in the front help out a lot as well. Body roll is reduced greatly as well even on the stock sway bars and turn in response is much better. Overall going from my stock sport suspension to these was night and day. I'm going to take the car out to Thunderhill soon so I'll get a gauge of how these perform on the track compared to my other days using stock or near stock setups. I know these things are already beyond my ability as a driver but I'm sure they'll peform great and meet my criteria of being capable on the track and yet reasonable on the street.

I also want to reinforce that if you buy these opt for the rubber mount since the pillow mounts make a racket and aren't worth it for the slight performance advantage. The rubber mounts are also cheaper. When my installer, 350z track junkie guy with the Truechoice/Unitech racing coilover setup, first test drove my car his first words were "Wow, it's so quiet" in reference to comparing his setup to mine.
Thanks for the writeup, not everyone would take the time to do it let alone give us the detail you have. Hat's off you you.

What Dave was refering to with the noise differance with the Truechoice setup that I also have now refer's to the fact that as you take Koni based shocks up and out of their normal operating range spring rate wise, they do have ever increasing level's of that can be best described as "impact noise". Given what the setup does for me valving and adjustability wise, it's not a issue for me.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Thanks for the writeup, not everyone would take the time to do it let alone give us the detail you have. Hat's off you you.

What Dave was refering to with the noise differance with the Truechoice setup that I also have now refer's to the fact that as you take Koni based shocks up and out of their normal operating range spring rate wise, they do have ever increasing level's of that can be best described as "impact noise". Given what the setup does for me valving and adjustability wise, it's not a issue for me.

That's interesting to know. I'm sure silent operation wasn't a real high priority for Dave and yourself when you guys were choosing the Truechoice setup knowing what performance capabilities it offered. One thing Dave did mention when test driving my car was that he thought the rebound control on the Cuscos were pretty good but obviously not as good as the Truechoice shocks. I'm kinda bummed I didn't get teh chance to get a ride in his car that day since his diff was out of commision.

BTW I see you are running a 560/427 spring rate setup. How do you like that so far? My Cuscos are supposed to be 560/395. I'm wondering if I would feel a difference if I used some revised 427 oem Z springs in the rear.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by dklau33
That's interesting to know. I'm sure silent operation wasn't a real high priority for Dave and yourself when you guys were choosing the Truechoice setup knowing what performance capabilities it offered. One thing Dave did mention when test driving my car was that he thought the rebound control on the Cuscos were pretty good but obviously not as good as the Truechoice shocks. I'm kinda bummed I didn't get teh chance to get a ride in his car that day since his diff was out of commision.

BTW I see you are running a 560/427 spring rate setup. How do you like that so far? My Cuscos are supposed to be 560/395. I'm wondering if I would feel a difference if I used some revised 427 oem Z springs in the rear.
Well I had already been experiencing the added impact noise thing when I was running the Koni coilover from before. It's not so bad that I was even thinking about it when I ordered the Truechoice setup.

You won't really feel a differance going from 392 to 427. Going from 375 to 427 was slightly different. IMO if you going to try something, I would try 448, though I understand that doing the 427 oem Z rear's would be much easier to do. If you rear's are the same 5" outside diameter top and bottom you should be able to try Eibich ESS or Hypercoil 5" OD springs. Only trickly part would be getting the pigtail to sit in the lower control arm right.