oem brembo powder coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face oem brembo powder coating

hey just wondered if anyone has already done this? I have a few quesions. i noticed there are some allen bolts holding the caliper together and my question is how do i take apart the brakes so i can just give the powdercoater just the caliper. or what do i need to remove for this process.

thanks for any help

Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not hard to rebuild the calipers. First thing you have to do is take off the brake line that connect right at the caliper and plugs it up so no brake fluid leaks out and damages your brake line. After that remove the caliper from the steering knucle and then get a skin piece of wood and insert in between the pistonand then open one of the bleeder holes and blow compress air into it.

This would force the pistons out and then you can remove them. After that start taking apart tube that connects the capiler together and then take the remaining bolts apart.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You actually shouldn't need to disassemble the caliper to PC them, calipers/pistons/seals should be able to take the 400deg baking used during the PC without too much trouble

Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Disassembly and Assembly

Disassembly and Assembly of Caliper Assembly
DISASSEMBLY

1. Insert a piece of wood as shown in the figure, blow air in through the flare nut mounting hole, and remove piston and piston boot. If four pistons do not all come out at the same time, press pistons that have come out a ways into cylinder body and blow air In again. CAUTION: Do not get your fingers caught in piston.
2. Remove piston boot from piston.

3. Using a screwdriver, remove piston seal. CAUTION:

o Be careful not to damage cylinder inner wall.
o Never remove four bolts from the inner and outer sides of caliper. Do not tighten them further, either.

CALIPER INSPECTION
Caliper

CAUTION: Use new brake fluid to clean. Never use mineral oils such as gasoline or kerosene.

* Check for corrosion, wear, or damage to the cylinder inner wall, and replace caliper if there are any nonstandard conditions.

Piston

CAUTION: Since the piston surface is plated, do not repair using sandpaper.

* Check piston surface for corrosion, wear, and damage. If any non-standard condition is detected, replace applicable part.

ASSEMBLY

CAUTION: Do not use Nissan Rubber Grease (KRE00 00010, KRE00 00010 01) when assembling.

1. Apply a rubber grease to piston seal and insert to cylinder body. CAUTION: Do not reuse piston seals.
2. Apply brake fluid or rubber grease to piston boot, place it on piston, and firmly insert the piston boot cylinder-side lip into the cylinder body groove. CAUTION: DO not reuse piston boot.

3. Insert the piston into cylinder body by hand and firmly attach the piston boot piston-side lip into the piston groove. CAUTION: Press the piston evenly and vary the pressing point to prevent cylinder inner wall from being rubbed

Old 06-16-2008, 07:10 PM
hmmm powercoating brembos? sounds like a good idea....

Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 AM
I wouldn't remove the allen bolts that hold the two halves together. You can take out the pistons and the dust boots/seals though. But as redlude97 said, I've seen people get their's done without taking apart anything.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 AM
You sure you don't want to worry. Just an incase something happens. It is good to put new seals in.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
i have heard that if you send the calipers back to brembo they will do it for free and the only cost is the shipping! I could be wrong about this but it would be worth checking out in my mind!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i asked my guy at a local car shop and they said since they know a good friemd that works at brembo that they dont PC the calipers they just shoot paint on them and clear then after the sticker has applied.

i will post pics of the final product tonight btw