Suspension creaking noise - NOT SUSPENSION

Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
...If this problem is indeed the compression rods, are there rods in the back too?
No. Compression rods are only on the front, and the noise they make only comes from the front end.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hear stuff in the rear too

Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
PDT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had it in my rear, I was told it was my stabilizer links.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
guys I addressed this on the previous page...

Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 PM
thanks

I had the squeaking/creaking noise coming from the front suspension after 25000 mi on my 2004 G35 sedan and requested that the front compression rods be replaced. This seems to have solved the problem!!

Thanks!! Great Post!!!

Just curious, I always felt my G35 when I started to hear the noise made my ride more harsh and possibly handle worse - did the front compression rods have a negative affect on these??

I also think I read that this problem will occur again after another 20000 mi - if this is true, should I request another rod replacement just before my 4 year warranty expires?

Thanks again

Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Just got a call from Peninsula Infiniti - Brian C Reidy (my service advisor) has an 04 and has also had his compression rods replaced (twice I think). He has been very professional and has completley changed my opinion of Peninsula Infiniti. He actually said to me "we're going to make sure that this will be your only trip here, and that you will have all of your issues resolved."

They told me they are also going to replace my compression rods, however, Brian noted that the compression rods have been redesigned (I'm still waiting to see the part #s on my invoice) and that it is possible the bushing issue will not return again after this replacement. I called Infiniti consumer affiars and gave Peninsula & Brian a thumbs up, while inquiring about Infiniti's awareness of the compression rod issue on the G.

The customer service rep said she would speak with the tech department and find out the details - especially if there is a tsb coming out for the compression rods and/or if the parts have been redesigned somehow to eliminate this premature wear. I also asked to find out what would happen if the issue returned again and I was already out of warranty... would I be forced to pay the ~$1000 price tag to replace the components?

Since my car is still at their shop awaiting its replacement parts, I cannot post my official service results, however, I will do so once I recieve the car (hopefully sometime today - I miss my 6MT).

Old 06-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bythabay-

We're very interested in whatever info you can follow-up with. It sounds like your dealer may be the only one to specifically acknowledge the compression rod problem. My dealer has replaced mine, but only after lots of "persuasion" and repeatedly declaring that they "can't reproduce" the sound. Now I have the problem again (after only 4000 miles this time). I would love to get a "new" part.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:20 PM
2003 G35 Sedan

Hi Everyone;
My 2003 G35 sedan has started squeaking and it appears to be coming from the rear BUT that can be misleading. I have a call into the dealer as they ignored me when I had the car in for the 4 year check up about 3 weeks ago.
I will keep everyone posted. I have about 37,000 KM , about 25,000 miles on the car.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Okay, so I got the G back today as promised, and the creaking is gone. Below I have typed in most of my work order. The work order ID (in case any of you would like to reference it is 01907

Keep in mind, however, that if your G is creaking, this invoice should not be used to force the dealer to replace the compression rods. Instead, use this to give them some help as to finding the real problem.

CLIENT REPORTS A CREAKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT END, GOING
OVER DRIVEWAYS, INSPECT AND ADVISE
NOISE COMING FROM FRONT COMPRESSION RODS
REPLACED LEFT AND RT FRONT COMPRESSION RODS.

Diagnosis-Axle/Susp FT-MI111

Parts
BOLT-STOPPER-40038-AL510 (qty: 2)
ROD COMPL-COMPRESSIO-54468-AC70F (qty: 1)
COMPRESSION ROD, FRO-54469-AC70F (qty: 1)

CLIENT REPORTS A CREAK NOISE FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE,
DRIVEWAYS, AND BODY FLEXING PRODUCES
SUNROOF LID SEAL DIRTY, BODY OPENING FOR SEAL DIRT
CLEAND AND LUBED SUNROOF LID SEAL, CLEANED BODY CAVITY

CLIENT STATES CREAKING NOISE FROM FRONT END.
CHECKED ALL FRONT SUSPENSION MOUNTING BOLTS, OK.
FOUND NOISE COMING FROM FRONT COMPRESSION RODS.
REPLACED LEFT AND RT FRONT COMPRESSION RODS AND ROAD TEST
AGAIN, OK.

CLIENT SAYS CREAK NOISE IS HEARD FROM VEHICLE WHEN
TURNING INTO DRIVEWAYS, ETC.
FOUND SUNROOF LID SEAL DIRTY AND BODY CAVITY FOR SUNROOF
SEAL LID DIRTY.
CLEANED SUNROOF LID SEAL AND BODY OPENING AND LUBRICATED WITH SILICONE.
ROAD TEST, OK.

CLIENT SAYS BANGING NOISE FROM UNDER CAR ON ROUGH ROADS.
COULD NOT VERIFY ON ROAD TEST.
CHECKED REAR SUSPENSION AND EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR
ANYTHING LOOSE OR MIS-ALIGNED, ALL OK.

CLIENT SAYS CENTER CONSOLE ARMREST SOMETIMES MAKES
NOISE WHEN RESTING ARM ON IT
OK AT TIME OF SERVICE-APPLIED LEATHER CONDITIONER
TO ARM REST LID.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
CLEANED BODY CAVITY
uh huh huh - huh huh

Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Sounds Promising

Hi bythabay;
Thanks for the update. It's sure is weird that I hear the sound coming from the rear and the problem is with the front.
Anyway, this will help my "Infiniti" guys solve the problem.
Have a great day;
WinterPeg
2003 G35 Sedan Premium DP

Old 06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Just got off the phone with Infiniti Consumer Affiars. The representative at extension 3881 said the following regarding Infiniti's technical awareness of this compression rod bushing failure issue:

"I have confirmed with the technical team, your new compression rods should be the same design as the old ones (just a different supplier now). The technical team is not aware of any issues concerning the G35 and the compression rods at this time."

She said she will alert the technical team to the compression rod issue, and they will examine my part in detail when they recieve it. Also, she is calling my service advisor to inquire about the frequency of compression rod replacement on the G35. She seems very determined to get the technical team to take a close look at this issue and perhaps issue a tsb (I hope) so we don't have to replace these things every year (those of us that put on 20k/yr).

If anyone wants to contribute to getting Infiniti to put out compression rods which have bushings that last a descent amount of time, feel free to reference my consumer affiars case ID: 5352151

Another thought.. perhaps it isn't the bushings, but the way some other part of the car is designed so that the bushings wear out quicker...

Last edited by bythabay; 06-06-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should we all call and mention the problem (like a petition)

we should do that one day... make a petition and email or snail it to infiniti consumer affairs.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

i just got my car from the dealer after needing a few things fixed. my suspension also is sqeaking (still)... i told them about this and they just regreased the bushings...guess i need to tell them about them compression rods. my clutch pedal was also clicking when pressure is applied usually between shifts, ive taken my car there about 5 times for it already and they said it was coming from the transmission input shaft and that they are going to replace my tranny because they dont get parts just the whole tranny system...im goin to the dealer next week to have this taken care of...cars at velcotiyfactor in east boca now gettin a MD spacer/iso thermal and my tein springs in

ps anyone hear of velcoityfactor? check out their website (velocityfactor.com)

Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM
OK, this is getting ridiculous. My compression rod is starting to clunk, again. Just like the service guy said it would when they fixed back in May. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue more than once, or I am the only lucky one? I'm really not looking forward to having to replace this thing every 10K miles, especially once the warranty runs out.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension creaking noise - NOT SUSPENSION