Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Concerned about claybar...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Concerned about claybar...

I've only claybar'ed a car once before. It was a my old 95 maxima, with something like 120,000 miles at the time. Now, after I claybar'ed the entire car, I realized that it revealed all the billion little imperfections in the body. Even after waxing it didn't look that great.

So somebody tell me I have nothing to worry about if I do it to my G
If I wash, then claybar my G (~28k miles), then wax her up everything will look great right??

ps I plan on using Zaino products

Old 06-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madchef
I've only claybar'ed a car once before. It was a my old 95 maxima, with something like 120,000 miles at the time. Now, after I claybar'ed the entire car, I realized that it revealed all the billion little imperfections in the body. Even after waxing it didn't look that great.

So somebody tell me I have nothing to worry about if I do it to my G
If I wash, then claybar my G (~28k miles), then wax her up everything will look great right??

ps I plan on using Zaino products
You have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to worry about.
I just did it - it works great & the bod ends up squeaky clean and smooth as silk for your Zaino. Really . . . . I swear it.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by kwansai
You have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to worry about.
I just did it - it works great & the bod ends up squeaky clean and smooth as silk for your Zaino. Really . . . . I swear it.
lol ok thanks

Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to clay bar

I never did a clay bar but seen it done once by someone. They sprayed this liquid on it which they said was a lubricant then used the clay bar. Can anyone post what is all used when using clay bar. thanks

Old 06-27-2005, 11:32 PM
To use a clay bar, you do need some sort of lubricant. You can probably use most anything, just so long as it does the job and doesn't do any harm. After you clay it, you need to wax it. Thats it as far as I know

Old 06-28-2005, 12:20 AM
I clayed my G35 (twilight blue) with the zaino bar using the suggested amt of Z7(soap) in a spray bottle, I think it was like 1/2 cap to 10 oz or something, it worked great. The zaino clay is awesome, leaving nothing behind on the paint. They reccomend a dawn wash, then clay then Z7 wash then Z2 or Z5.
I just ordered more Z7 and some other stuff. I'm going to try their new paint cleaner that just came out.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
With clays, you can use just about anything as mentioned previously.

Some options are :

- soapy water (same mix as you'd use to wash you car)
- a "detail" spray (something like Meguiar's Final Inspection or Quik Detailer)

I've used all 3 of these and they all work fine. Most of the time I just use the soapy water cuz it's ready to go. You can use it before you dry your car. Goes pretty quick.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by DesertRat
... After you clay it, you need to wax it. Thats it as far as I know
Actually, you need to wash and rinse it again after Clay Baring to remove the "lubricant" and any now loose foreign material that the Clay Bar dislodged.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to be giving my car the full workup soon...I can't wait until I move and get away from this damn tree sap!!!

Old 06-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg
Actually, you need to wash and rinse it again after Clay Baring to remove the "lubricant" and any now loose foreign material that the Clay Bar dislodged.
One time saving trick is to...
1. Use Dawn and wash the entire car really well.
2. Get a new bucket of Z7 Carwash soap and a wash cloth. Use the wash cloth to apply soapy water to one section of your car then clay that section of the car. After you clay that section use the wash cloth (and the soapy water) to make sure the tar/bug/brake dust/etc...is 100% gone and the area is clean.
3. Rinse the area and you've just combined the clay and wash into the same step.
This way you don't need to wash AFTER CLAYING because you do it while you clay... This should save you ~30 minutes if you do it right.

BTW, I just did this last Saturday. It rained all day Monday and now it's wet out there today...

Old 06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
One time saving trick is to...
This way you don't need to wash AFTER CLAYING because you do it while you clay... This should save you ~30 minutes if you do it right. ...
I can see this approach. In my case, I end up sitting or laying on the pavement while I do the lower parts of the car so I want the pavement to be dry for my own comfort. I'll stick to Sal Zaino's instructions and use some Z7 Detergent in a spray bottle, but I do see how your approach might be appealing to some.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other tip is after you do a portion of the paint, wash off the clay in a bucket of warm soapy water before kneading it. This will minimize the contaminants in the clay and prolong its life. The warm water with make it easier to knead.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just did a full zaino job on my '05 G35 sedan last night.

I did notice after the clay job that you could see all sorts of light scratches and swirls in the paint. The finish felt better, but looked worse.

BUT..............after 2 coats of Z5 and a final coat of Z2Pro....all is beautiful!!!