Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

DIY: 5AT to 6MT SWAP.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, So I have completed the swap in it's entirety. I am at the issue with CAN codes with the TCM unplugged, and a P0720 - VSS sensor error with TCM connected.

I've read bits about the Osiris tune. Can I get some definitive info? I would have to convert my old style ECM to the new style. What then? I have zero experience with tuning, and the Osiris tuner isn't exactly cheap.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't been on this forum in years! Just finished up this swap, thought I'd add a couple notes on the wiring in case anyone gets stuck.

Reverse Switch

For the reverse switch on the 6MT, I used wire #7 (red) and wire #5 (black) from the 5AT 10 pin harness. I purchased a new connector from wiringspecialties.com
http://www.wiringspecialties.com/vqreswco.html

Clutch Interlock Switch
I wired this up to the Gray/red stripe wire (terminal 53), but instead of connecting in the engine bay, I traced it back inside the car and wired it there. Seems a little cleaner.

Neutral Position Switch
This guide says to use pin 102 on the ECU, which is supposed to be Green/orange stripe, but on my car pin 102 is blue and one of the CAN wires. Pin 94 is the Green/orange stripe wire and seemed to work. My cruise control stopped working once I changed my gears, but I'm hoping the map switching feature for UpRev will still work. The connector is the same as the reverse switch connector and can be purchased from wiringspecialties.com.

Everything else was pretty straight forward. I did fabricate a bracket for the upper clutch pedal mount, it just doesn't feel solid enough without it. The other thing t note is that once you take off the 5AT and the torque converter, you will need to pull out the pilot converter bushing so you can install the 6MT pilot bushing. I still need to go get it tuned and have some of the codes turned off with UpRev, but it drives!

Ready to go, car needs to be much higher to get the 5AT out from under it btw

New CD00A trans, thanks to Bryant over at AutoNation Tustin Infiniti!

JWT clutch / light weight flywheel combo

Tilton MC

5AT out

Clutch installed

6MT installed

The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-16-2018)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
nice!! definitely helpful to others doing the swap. I used the tilton master kit too! But for a clutch I went with the Exedy triple carbonR. do you have a v-mount setup in there??

Old 08-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdm-v35
nice!! definitely helpful to others doing the swap. I used the tilton master kit too! But for a clutch I went with the Exedy triple carbonR. do you have a v-mount setup in there??
That's definitely a nice clutch setup... I'll upgrade mine when I make more power, mine is fully built NA... revs high, but doesn't put out a ton of power. Not v-mount, just tube front with ducting to the coolers and radiator. I'm still working on it, it's just tacked up at the moment and still have to finish up the ducting and splitter.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Cruise help!

So I just finished up with this swap a month or so ago, and by far it's the best modification I've made to the G35! Thanks to all who have contributed!
so here is my issue, I wired up the nps to the green/orange stripe at pin 102 feeding into the ecu, and I still do not have functional cruise. When I turn on cruise, the cruise light turns green, and the set light flashes. I grounded the black wire coming off the nps to the negative at the battery. At the same time as swap I got Osiris, and cannot seem to map switch due to this. Any help would be great.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by j_mullet
So I just finished up with this swap a month or so ago, and by far it's the best modification I've made to the G35! Thanks to all who have contributed!
so here is my issue, I wired up the nps to the green/orange stripe at pin 102 feeding into the ecu, and I still do not have functional cruise. When I turn on cruise, the cruise light turns green, and the set light flashes. I grounded the black wire coming off the nps to the negative at the battery. At the same time as swap I got Osiris, and cannot seem to map switch due to this. Any help would be great.
Got map switching to work, but no cruise....weird. anyone got ideas?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 AM
Missing pictures

Originally Posted by j_mullet
Got map switching to work, but no cruise....weird. anyone got ideas?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Nice progress.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:52 PM
G35 ecu

If I change out the ECU, would I need to math the FCC ID ??

I have an 07 and the ecu is 04 ..

the he car is already swapped and runs fun but does not pull when I floor, any other reason why??

Old 11-01-2017, 04:40 AM
Awesome thread! Thank you!
I'm from Australia and have a RHD 2001 Skyline 350 gt8 with a blown CVT trans. I have all the parts required besides clutch assembly, flywheel, and shifter. I have parts from a 2003 350z, 6MT, driveshaft, ECU, steering column surround, shifter surround, hand brake, clutch & brake pedal assemblys, slave & master cyliders.

My questions are..
Are there any differences with this conversion due to my car converting from a gt8 CVT trans?
Are there any complications being my car is RHD?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM
I'm in the midst of performing an auto to 6 speed conversion for my 06 G35. How did you figure the exact spots to drill for the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder? Because there is not stamped imprint on the firewall to give you an idea of where to drill holes. You think creating a template from a car that already has the holes drilled for the clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal would work?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 AM
I'm in the midst of performing an auto to 6 speed conversion for my 06 G35. How did you figure the exact spots to drill for the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder? Because there is not stamped imprint on the firewall to give you an idea of where to drill holes. You think creating a template from a car that already has the holes drilled for the clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal would work? I want to avoid drilling holes in the wrong places and having the clutch pedal line up against the break pedal at the wrong angle.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Question Where and how to drill for G35 clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder?

I'm in the midst of performing an auto to 6 speed conversion for my 06 G35. How did you figure the exact spots to drill for the
clutch pedal clutch pedal
and clutch master cylinder? Because there is not stamped imprint on the firewall to give you an idea of where to drill holes. You think creating a template from a car that already has the holes drilled for the
clutch master cylinder clutch master cylinder
and clutch pedal would work? I want to avoid drilling holes in the wrong places and having the
clutch pedal clutch pedal
line up against the break pedal at the wrong angle.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 AM
ecu swap

i just swapped my 2005 g35 at a garage and he left the at ecu with no flash, the car runs but it seems weak so i wanna buy an mt ecu of an 04 since the mt 05's come with revup engines and 04s don't, do u think this ecu will work fine on my car? and will it be just plud and play or do i have to change something in the harness?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:23 AM
ecu swap

[QUOTE=DEMoLITIoN;5245990]HAPPY SHIFTING!!

[/QUOTE
hello, I'm new here i made this swap at a garage but he didn't flash my ecu the car runs but its kinda got weak so i wanna buy the 6mt ecu since it's cheaper than a flash, my car is an 05 g35 and i was wondering if i should buy the 04 6mt ecu sincd the 05s 6mts came with revup and the auto didn't... and if i swaped the ecu will just be plug and play or should i change something in the wiring?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: 5AT to 6MT SWAP.