Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

surge performance chip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why would anyone cut their maf wires just to prove a point?
Don't know, but i just had to move my MAF wire harness due to some new piping i installed on my SC set-up and the fact my SC pulleys were really close to the MAF harness tie point. The harness wasn't long enough for the reroute (had to add an extra foot), so i just cut the wires, and spliced in some extra wire. In fact, i still haven't "dressed" everything neatly right now as its friggin' 20 degrees outside, so my MAF wires are just bundled up and attached via wire nuts hanging above my intake pipe.

Ugly as all hell, but works fine with no problems. Still don't know what the big deal everyone is claiming about is though with regards to cutting MAF wires.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
take a picture and post it, just for kicks

Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Vids of the process would be better... as stated, its been done and resulted in problems... anyone that has done wire tucks will concur that cutting MAF sensor wires is not a good idea - but like I said way earlier in the thread, if there is a way to do it (which would be shocking since so many have dealt with it), a Vid posting the process would help a lot of people (not a wire tuck vid, just a vid of the MAF wires being cut and reconnected with start up).

For reference read the Engine Bay photo thread... or search "wire tuck" you'll see references here and there such as these:

Originally Posted by Row2k
that would be great, thanks a lot. I really would hate to cut any MAF wires.
Originally Posted by k67p67
Do not cut the MAF sensor wires. You'll regret it if you do.

You might also consider redoing those wires for the coil packs. It looks cleaner if you extend the 3 wires for each of the coil packs to the back of the block and sleeve each set individually. The branching you currently have looks a bit messy. Just my two cents.
(btw, this guy {Kurtis} is one of the {if not the} first to do a wire tuck and is as knowledgeable about it as anyone I know)

Originally Posted by bigc
do not cut those wires
Originally Posted by Row2k
I think ill leave it as is; id rather have smaller wires branching out from the main harness as they approach the accessory / component as opposed to 10 smaller clusters running the length of the main harness before they reach the accessory. Just a matter of preference I suppose.

Also I do recall someone on here posting that both the MAF and throttle cables are not to be messed with as they are length/resistance sensitive. Thanks for the reminder nonetheless
all from this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...-here-113.html start at #1682

This is just a small handful of reference posts... they are very recent... I have a wire tuck and everyone I know in person does too (at least half dozen Gs or more)... There are other references on this and other forums...

So instead of saying "its okay" and "I did it"... it makes a lot more sense to show all these knowledgeable people that it can be done (instead of "I don't know what the big deal is")... Honestly I trust bigc and k67p67 more than most out here (since I know them personally and know what they have done) - there are others that I know personally that have done several wire tucks that say the same thing "don't cut the MAF wires".

Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
take a picture and post it, just for kicks
Would that be the proof you require to change your mind about it?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by liche
Don't know, but i just had to move my MAF wire harness due to some new piping i installed on my SC set-up and the fact my SC pulleys were really close to the MAF harness tie point. The harness wasn't long enough for the reroute (had to add an extra foot), so i just cut the wires, and spliced in some extra wire. In fact, i still haven't "dressed" everything neatly right now as its friggin' 20 degrees outside, so my MAF wires are just bundled up and attached via wire nuts hanging above my intake pipe.

Ugly as all hell, but works fine with no problems. Still don't know what the big deal everyone is claiming about is though with regards to cutting MAF wires.
Makes sense to me. But I don't think anyone that actually disagreed with you will ever be convinced without a picture. Probably not even then

Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM
You guys should be married!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
bumping post so it doesn't get over-looked (as it is more relevant than any other recent post)

https://g35driver.com/forums/4787655-post63.html

Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Makes sense to me. But I don't think anyone that actually disagreed with you will ever be convinced without a picture. Probably not even then
A picture isn't going to prove anything - no one will believe it at least the doubting parties involved.

But if anyone is in the Philadelphia area, I'll be happy to show you the modification in person - in ALL its UGLINESS!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ace198920
You guys should be married!
Actually, the true beauty is that i don't have to listen to certain garbage due to certain people being on my ignore list. Ah . . . so nice!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
^^^ convenient

of course he wont respond to the previous posts... he knows he can't.

And liche - you can read the posts on your email notifications, so don't play coy.

Bottom line is many extremely knowledgeable people that have been doing wire tucks on this car since before liche even had one have all stated that MAF wires are not to be cut.

Then you have ONE guy sayinig "yes it can, I don't know what the big deal is, I've done it"... pulleeeezzz... what good is the testimony without proof - video tape it (DUH).

My guess is we will never see proof that it can be done...

Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Red Card Crew

I've mentioned that the maxima guys have been doing maf wire extensions for many years. Mostly for better maf placement when going intercooled supercharged applications.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...fo-needed.html

And I recently resoldered 3 wires on my bro in law's Honda Pilot. It didn't start so I suspect some rats got to the crank angle sensor or cam angle sensor. Soldered them and retaped. Car runs like new. Again, not a maf but these sensor have critical voltage going from them also.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I still haven't seen anyone (or heard from a source I consider reliable) successfully cutting MAF sensor wires on a G35.

We could go for days, weeks, months and years on and on about all sorts of things... but until someone shows that it can be doen n this car - its all futile.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
STAGE 3 Surge/O2 Chip is a fully adjustable, programmed performance control unit designed for all vehicle fitted with ECU, simply wires inline with the factory harness of the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor and into the plug of Oxygen sensor(s) in the exhaust.
STAGE 3 CHIP/O2 Combo will supply modified signals to your vehicle's ECU. The ECU then adjusts air/fuel ratio and secondarily timing advance curves to new performance settings, in addition this upgrade does have an absolutely outstanding O2 sensor control circuit integrated in the unit.
This control panel helps to prevent and stop undesired snubbig of the ECU.

Why should ECU regulate air/fuel ratio if we have tricked the signals already by the IAT sensor?

The answer is simple, ECU is calculating the air/fuel ratio also per other sensors' signal, and the last and most important respected control step is the oxygen content in the exhaust pipe. If O2 sensor informs the ECU that emission is too high HP-gain will be limited.
Our evaluation does not let the Oxygens Sensor delivering fuel rich signal accordingly ECU will not restrict the injection of more fuel.

A 50¢ resistor from Radio Shack can do the same thing. I'm betting this is just like all the ebay "chips" that makes your ECU think it's constantly 60°, and your ECU in turn advances timing so you can feel a performance gain.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Red Card Crew

I'd like to note that regardless of make/model, most MAF sensors work on the same principle of sending a voltage signal ranging from 0 to about 5v to represent the mass of air being ingested by the motor.

But if there's evidence that there's something particularly special about a Z or G that makes this particular modification different, I'd be interested in reading about it.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude I couldn't even read this whole thread. This is funkin hilarious... A chip....LMFAO.... 30HP to the wheels..... Oh **** I’m on the floor cracking up. There is no way in hell OP is serious... But I couldn't stop. Then it turned into all out war. I personally don't plan on doing any wire tucks to my G because I really don't care how my engine bay looks as long as it's putting out 550HP+ But just to interject, I too have the same background as liche and I must say he is correct. Electronically speaking Impendence would be your only variable in cutting your wires... Now as far as things not working afterwards, I dunno know about that. Maybe a person goofed one time and scared the **** out of everyone... I dunno! But this is a problem that can easily be explained by Ohms law. V/I*R. V and I are inversely proportional to R. (V=voltage, I=amperage and R=resistance) I seriously doubt that increasing the distance on a wire is going to increase the Impendence to a point that the amperage and voltage that are going to the ECU would change. With that being said I don’t know if our cars have some special/ magical wire that can't be cut. If so, that would explain the issues that people have been having when they do cut these wires. I've been an electronic engineer for 10 years + also working with the military and I also have 7+ years as a cryptologist at the Pentagon and I have personally worked on equipment that most people think doesn't exist.
The words above are just my professional opinion and I have personally not looked into the matter because I have no need to, I'm just throwing my two cents in!
Now back to the drama!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: surge performance chip?