Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Nah, I missed the last one since I was too busy to be on the board for a month or so. I decided to go for it so have installed the ISO thermal set up. I like the sounds of that throttle body heater so there is no messing with the valve and you get the full benefit of a cooler plenum.
Me too...
That's why I decided to wait.
Besides now that we're into cooler weather (as compared to endless 30°C) the G is def running mucho gusto now

Old 09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by S.E.
I'm about to get the 1/2" spacer and i have several concerns....will i be able to fit teh engine cover back on my sedan with the spacer when and if i want to? will the fact that i live in Tn and that during the winter the temp goes down below 30 F mean i have to adjust something within the engine bay when it gets warm again or even when the day warms up? if so, is said adjustment necessary of just for performance increase? lasty, i want it to install perfect, and will not be doing it myself.....has anyone had a tuner or infiniti dealer do the install, and did they know how or did you provide the Motordyne instructions? thanks for any help you guys are willing to give?
All your questions have been answered in other posts on this thread, but I will answer again...

Yes, the 1/2" will fit if you invert the grommets - it will be a tight fit with very slight rubbing on the hood liner. If you are getting the thermal kit (which it sounds like you are) it is not advisable to use the cover because you definitely will defeat the purpose of the thermal gasket and coolant valve. A suggestion would be to use 1/2 cover (Z cover) or cut the center of your G cover (that will help with cooling and clearance).

If you get the current manual valve, yes you need to manually open and close it in the engine bay. As long as it is installed with the adjusting screw facing up, it will be easy to do.

Regarding install of spacer, I'm like you, I have wrenched on other cars I've owned but not this one. I got help from DaveO... it is relatively easy to do and Tony provides comprehensive instructions... If you know a fellow G owner that has one you might want to seek his help. Otherwise I'm sure your local dealer will do it as long as they are mod friendly (mine is).

Hope this helped ~ good luck.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm about to get the 1/2" spacer and i have several concerns....will i be able to fit teh engine cover back on my sedan with the spacer when and if i want to?
Yes, it will fit. There is a chance it might touch the hood insulation but it only results in one small dot of contact showing up as a 1/8" dot on the top right corner of the plastic cover. Beyond that, its inconsequential.

will the fact that i live in Tn and that during the winter the temp goes down below 30 F mean i have to adjust something within the engine bay when it gets warm again or even when the day warms up? if so, is said adjustment necessary of just for performance increase?
Yes and yes. If you don't want to mess around with adjustments based on temperature you can get the copper throttle body heater. With that, you dont have to adjust anything no matter how hot or cold it is.
In places like California, Texas or Florida temperatures generally don't go below 55' F so the copper isn't needed.

lasty, i want it to install perfect, and will not be doing it myself.....has anyone had a tuner or infiniti dealer do the install, and did they know how or did you provide the Motordyne instructions? thanks for any help you guys are willing to give?
Dealerships have done the installation of spacers. Its a piece of cake for them.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I got my 1/2" spacer installed today (with the iso thermal gasket).
I can't really comment on performance yet, because I haven't had a chance to "get on" the car. Kinda hard with traffic.

I had it professionally installed, because I get nervous doing things by myself.

However, the installed seemed to be VERY quick for the guys at Jotech Motorsports. Quick, like 30 minutes quick. It actually took them around 1.5 hours to install it though, because they had to bleed the system. That was the only reason that the install went long.

I'll post tonight on the performance aspect. I'm really looking forward to it!

Either way, the product is top notch.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Ok, I got my 1/2" spacer installed today (with the iso thermal gasket).
I can't really comment on performance yet, because I haven't had a chance to "get on" the car. Kinda hard with traffic.

I had it professionally installed, because I get nervous doing things by myself.

However, the installed seemed to be VERY quick for the guys at Jotech Motorsports. Quick, like 30 minutes quick. It actually took them around 1.5 hours to install it though, because they had to bleed the system. That was the only reason that the install went long.

I'll post tonight on the performance aspect. I'm really looking forward to it!

Either way, the product is top notch.
I agree the product is among the best out there.

To date I've installed several spacers and plenums... around 12. A half hour is indeed fast for installing the complete Motordyne Iso Thermal Spacer System (especially if you include multiple bolt tightening torque sequences).

I understand allowing the engine to cool off a little. What I don't understand is what system requires "bleeding" or depressurization? Can you clarify?

Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Originally Posted by DaveO
I agree the product is among the best out there.

To date I've installed several spacers and plenums... around 12. A half hour is indeed fast for installing the complete Motordyne Iso Thermal Spacer System (especially if you include multiple bolt tightening torque sequences).

I understand allowing the engine to cool off a little. What I don't understand is what system requires "bleeding" or depressurization? Can you clarify?
The only thing I could come up with is the fact that you have to install a valve, which requires that you cut out about an 1.5 inch of hose on the car. I guess they wanted to drain the system before they leaked coolant everywhere.

However, maybe my guys just found the most difficult way to do the install to ensure that they kept me there longer (for billing purposes). Who knows. It seemed legit at the time.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Ok, so my spacer is officially installed. My verdict:

Immediately off the line, I didn't notice a huge difference. However, once I got into 2nd geat and got up over 3500-4000rpms, the car REALLY comes to life. I really like this mod. It's not neck-breaking performance, but given that it was only around $250, it definitely delivers more than you would expect from a bolt on.

For the money, quality and performance....I'd highly recommend it.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=jnkirk1974]The only thing I could come up with is the fact that you have to install a valve, which requires that you cut out about an 1.5 inch of hose on the car. I guess they wanted to drain the system before they leaked coolant everywhere.

I would think on a cold system install there would be no pressure in the cooling system and since the hose to be cut is at a high point I wouldn't expect losing fluid. Maybe the wait on your install was due to your engine being hot from the drive to the shop.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
[QUOTE=maxpower]
The only thing I could come up with is the fact that you have to install a valve, which requires that you cut out about an 1.5 inch of hose on the car. I guess they wanted to drain the system before they leaked coolant everywhere.

I would think on a cold system install there would be no pressure in the cooling system and since the hose to be cut is at a high point I wouldn't expect losing fluid. Maybe the wait on your install was due to your engine being hot from the drive to the shop.
That's all I could come up with too. My car sat outside for about 30-40 minutes for cool-down. However, that can't be long enough.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM

However, maybe my guys just found the most difficult way to do the install to ensure that they kept me there longer (for billing purposes). Who knows. It seemed legit at the time.
I've removed the hose from the upper collector or cut the hose to install the Motordyne coolant control valve several times. I've yet to lose a significant amount of coolant even when the engine was hot. I normally place an old wash cloth under the hose before cutting it and it barely gets wet. I'd like to think the folks that did your installation didn't have the experience.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Well, when I got to the shop....they immediately started trying to get me to buy the Skunk2 Racing spacer (which I'm sure is probably a really good spacer too). However, I gave them Tony's directions and told them I still wanted to install the Motordyne.

Their guys were constantly looking at the directions (I observed them through the window) and they did seem a little confused. They read and acted quickly though. It's just that the guy kept calling over one of his buddies to make sure he was doing it right).

I bet they were just overly cautious when doing the install. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. The guys at Jotech seem to know what they are doing and seem to be pretty trust worthy. I wouldn't expect them to drag out the installation process to earn extra money.

Like I said, the install itself went VERY quickly. However, the bleeding of the system TOOK FOREVER. This of course is no fault of Tony at Motordyne. It sounds like my installation guy added an unnecessary step in the process.

Oh well, it's all good. The 1/2" spacer is on now with the iso thermal gasket. That's all that matters.

Look out Honda Accords with big *** spoilers and fart cans, here I come!!!!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Just to add to my post above.

With my Crawford cats, Borla exhaust,z-tube with Pop Charger and now the Motordyne spacer, the car sounds awesome.

Now, I wish I could switch out the Borla for a Fujitsubo.

I bet that sound would bring tears to my eyes

Old 09-15-2005, 12:12 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When is the next GB on the Iso-Thermal upgrade? I want!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Making preparations now!

Old 09-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Well, when I got to the shop....they immediately started trying to get me to buy the Skunk2 Racing spacer (which I'm sure is probably a really good spacer too). However, I gave them Tony's directions and told them I still wanted to install the Motordyne.

Their guys were constantly looking at the directions (I observed them through the window) and they did seem a little confused. They read and acted quickly though. It's just that the guy kept calling over one of his buddies to make sure he was doing it right).

I bet they were just overly cautious when doing the install. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. The guys at Jotech seem to know what they are doing and seem to be pretty trust worthy. I wouldn't expect them to drag out the installation process to earn extra money.

Like I said, the install itself went VERY quickly. However, the bleeding of the system TOOK FOREVER. This of course is no fault of Tony at Motordyne. It sounds like my installation guy added an unnecessary step in the process.

Oh well, it's all good. The 1/2" spacer is on now with the iso thermal gasket. That's all that matters.

Look out Honda Accords with big *** spoilers and fart cans, here I come!!!!
I hate to say it, but I think you may be right about the "extra labor time" - maybe they wanted a little extra $$... DaveO did mine and he is as thorough and detailed as anyone would be... torque sequence, at two tq level intervals - very specific and it didn’t take as long... granted he has done several.

The important thing is you got it!!! How do you like it? BTW, I don’t think you needed these mods to compete with the Spoiler/Fart can bearing Accords. You can catch much bigger fish now

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?