Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
You mean this?

Attached Thumbnails What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?-motordyne-mit-upgrade-kit.jpg  
Old 08-24-2005, 05:14 AM
National G Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, how much for just the thermal kit? Ive had the spacer since the beginning of the year, definetly love it.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Pathis
Yeah, how much for just the thermal kit? Ive had the spacer since the beginning of the year, definetly love it.
+1.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
+1.
Ian, any other comments? I sent Tony an email and plan to get one myself.

Deane

Old 08-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by RBull
Ian, any other comments? I sent Tony an email and plan to get one myself.

Deane
Hey, sounds like a great addition to the spacer.
I'd like to know a little more about the inline valve though.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The Iso Thermal kit will have a MSRP of $70 when it is released.

Here is a description that will soon be posted on the Motordyne website:

MOTORDYNE ENGINEERING

The latest evolution of Motordyne Engineering’s plenum spacers is here... and they’re now Iso Thermal™ (patent pending).

The new Iso Thermal plenum spacer system combines our aluminum spacer with additional thermal management components that substantially reduce upper and lower plenum operating temperatures. Cooler intake air temperatures increase air density, reduce the tendency for detonation (ping) and that increases engine power on and off the track.

The Motordyne Iso Thermal (MIT) plenum spacer incorporates several thermal management components to reduce plenum temperatures. Test measurements show a 36°F - 81°F drop in plenum temperature.

1) The first component is a thermal isolating gasket that is installed between the lower plenum and intake manifold. This gasket’s ultra low thermal conductivity allows the gasket to be thin enough (1/16”) to retain use of 350Z’s strut bar or the G35’s engine cover when combined with the 5/16” plenum spacer.

The VQ35DE’s upper collector (plenum) is bolted to the lower collector (plenum) and the lower plenum is bolted to the intake manifold. The intake manifold is bolted to the hot engine heads and because the intake manifold is a thick-walled aluminum casting, it is very efficient in transferring heat from the heads to the entire upper and lower plenum assembly. And it all gets very hot!

Installing a Motordyne Iso Thermal™ gasket between the intake manifold and lower plenum, the heat transfer is significantly reduced and both the upper and lower plenum run much cooler.

2) The stock upper plenum uses heated engine coolant at 190°F-210°F+ to keep the throttle body heated. This is to prevent the throttle body from freezing during cold weather operation. While this is necessary for cold weather driving, it continuously transfers a great deal of heat into the upper plenum even when it is not needed. The Motordyne Iso Thermal System incorporates a throttle body coolant control valve that allows the owner to heat (or not heat) the assembly. With local weather temperatures below 55’F the valve is left open. In warmer weather the valve can be closed for maximum performance benefits.

3) The third thermal management component is the new Iso Thermal plenum post spacers. The plenum post spacers are self retaining and self sealing. Their cupped design keeps them in place even if its respective bolt is removed from an installed plenum. They won't melt even at 450°F; which is far above the plenum’s operating temperature. And they have a very low thermal conductance so they don’t transfer heat.

The Motordyne Iso Thermal upgrade is available to previous Motordyne customers and even to those who have stock or aftermarket plenums. The upgrade will allow any modified or stock plenum assembly to run much cooler.
---
5/16” Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Kit: $245
1/2” Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Kit: $275
Iso Thermal upgrade: $70

---

I expect the competion to try to follow suit but their options will be somewhat limited. Patent Pending!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 08-24-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hey, sounds like a great addition to the spacer.
I'd like to know a little more about the inline valve though.
Might be similar to this manifold bypass mod:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...anifold=bypass

I am guessing that the coolant circulates just around the plenum neck near the throttle body, rather than the whole upper plenum piece.

Last edited by byount; 08-24-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
when are you going to put together the GB for the MIT kit??? =)

Old 08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by richie
when are you going to put together the GB for the MIT kit??? =)
+ 1 ...can't wait
I'm sure it's extremely busy for Tony right now,
but it'd be nice to at least set a target date for the GB

Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
2) The stock upper plenum uses heated engine coolant at 190°F-210°F+ to keep the throttle body heated. This is to prevent the throttle body from freezing during cold weather operation. While this is necessary for cold weather driving, it continuously transfers a great deal of heat into the upper plenum even when it is not needed. The Motordyne Iso Thermal System incorporates a throttle body coolant control valve that allows the owner to heat (or not heat) the assembly. With local weather temperatures below 55’F the valve is left open. In warmer weather the valve can be closed for maximum performance benefits......
Tony, sounds like a great addition to the spacer.

I know it would put the cost up, but....

I was just wondering if you gave any consideration to a thermostaticaly opperated solonoid valve.
Especially for street applications, this would allow for normal warm-up.
We get a lot of days when it's below 55°F in the morning but then warms up.

This would also be a plug & play setup, with no manual intervention.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
inTgr8r: that is a great idea. Most themostatic valves I have heard of are for mixing hot and cold water to prevent scalding (and some are adjustable between 60 and 120 degrees F). Never heard of one for automotive use... Perhaps Tony can find a vendor or adapt one of the plumbing valves by capping off one of the outlets (they have a "2 in" and "1 out" configuration for mixing water)? Only thing is that the valve opens when a certain temp is reached to allow cold water in - just the opposite of what we need here (need to close the valve when certain temp is reached).

Last edited by rcdash; 08-25-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by rcdash
inTgr8r: that is a great idea. Most themostatic valves I have heard of are for mixing hot and cold water to prevent scalding (and some are adjustable between 60 and 120 degrees F). Never heard of one for automotive use... Perhaps Tony can find a vendor or adapt one of the plumbing valves by capping off one of the outlets (they have a "2 in" and "1 out" configuration for mixing water)? Only thing is that the valve opens when a certain temp is reached to allow cold water in - just the opposite of what we need here (need to close the valve when certain temp is reached).
Stat & valve would be separate devices. (you want ambient air temp)

Valves are available in normally open or closed configuration.
It also depends if it's a closed or open contact on the thermostat

Solonoid valves are powered in one direction with a spring return.
The set up should be configured so that the valve fails open if the circuit goes south.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
The MIT kit has worked great for me!!! Plenum temps are considerably reduced! I'm in So Cal so opening and re-closing valve will be infrequent, therefore manual operation works well for my application - you can position it where it's relatively easy to access.

Tony - when are you going to provide more info on this "new mod" you have hinted at?... I lost track of the thread it was mentioned.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Sportcoupe35
Ok... I'm so confused.
I want to buy a spacer now.
I want to keep my engine cover on.
Which size do I buy and how do I buy it?
And how much is it?
I have the 1/2" spacer w/ Thermal kit... the stock cover will fit if you invert the grommets... It's a very snug fit with slight (very little) rubbing on the hood liner.

Although I really like the look of the full cover, it completely defeats the thermal characteristics of Tony's MIT kit... therefore I have run cover off and carbon fiber 1/2 cover (Z cover). If you are concerned about plenum temps, I highly suggest 1/2 cover or no cover... I did lots of plenum temp readings with full cover on and off > HUGE difference in temps!

If you choose to get spacer only and not the thermal kit (for my the MIT kit is worth it!) the old 3/8" or new 5/16" spacer will fit with cover. Tony is the expert (I'm not trying to speak out of turn)... just my .02

Old 08-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Stat & valve would be separate devices. (you want ambient air temp)

Valves are available in normally open or closed configuration.
It also depends if it's a closed or open contact on the thermostat

Solonoid valves are powered in one direction with a spring return.
The set up should be configured so that the valve fails open if the circuit goes south.
I hear you and am working on a solution. No thermostats but something better. Its made to order regardless of cold climates like Alaska, Chicago, Toronto and the like. You're gonna like this one!

OCG35,
Yes, I dyno tested the (other) new mod... It worked even better than predicted! Details will be available at the appropriate time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?