Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so.. i do have 3/8 now but there won't be any prob with my G right??

Old 08-26-2005, 12:51 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by BombRush
so.. i do have 3/8 now but there won't be any prob with my G right??
No problem. But you will have a much cooler running plenum.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Tony,

I like the inclusion of the bypass in your kit. The gasket shown in the photo looks like generic material. I imagine there has more to isolating the heat transfer than sticking a thicker gasket in between parts. Can you elaborate on the material used in your kit? And I assume that because the iso-gasket is so effective at limiting heat transfer between the intake manifold and lower plenum, then adding an additional iso-gasket between the two plenum halves is somewhat redundant?

Thanks.

Looking forward to a GB, too.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I hear you and am working on a solution. No thermostats but something better. Its made to order regardless of cold climates like Alaska, Chicago, Toronto and the like. You're gonna like this one!

OCG35,
Yes, I dyno tested the (other) new mod... It worked even better than predicted! Details will be available at the appropriate time.
YES!....
Tony, I just knew you'd be on top of this.

I can live with a manual valve for a while.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by headpaneer
Tony,

I like the inclusion of the bypass in your kit. The gasket shown in the photo looks like generic material. I imagine there has more to isolating the heat transfer than sticking a thicker gasket in between parts. Can you elaborate on the material used in your kit?
The gasket may look generic, but there is nothing generic about the material it is made with... Aramid (Kevlar).

Its not a bullet proof gasket, infact its quite soft, but the specific Aramid material was chosen because of its high heat resistance (550'F) and its super low thermal conductance (0.18 WMK). This allows the material to stay thin and still do a good job at blocking heat. This same material is often used in Aerospace applications so you can be sure your are getting quality material.

And the GB is now. At least for the spacer kit as a whole. But not for long, I will be seeing the website designer to give him all the text and picture updates, along with the new pricing. So for now, people can purchase new MIT spacers at the old price.

And yes, I will have a Iso Thermal upgrade GB for the people that already have Motordyne spacers, or actually for anyone who wants a cooler running upper and lower plenum. And the upgrade will work with any of the plenum mods currently on the market.

Tony

Old 08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How difficult is the installation of this new gasket? I have the 3/8 " spacer. That was fairly easy to install.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I hear you and am working on a solution. No thermostats but something better. Its made to order regardless of cold climates like Alaska, Chicago, Toronto and the like. You're gonna like this one!

OCG35,
Yes, I dyno tested the (other) new mod... It worked even better than predicted! Details will be available at the appropriate time.
Excellent!!! Can't wait!

Old 08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by cato
How difficult is the installation of this new gasket? I have the 3/8 " spacer. That was fairly easy to install.
Its more involved than just the spacer alone because you have to remove the lower plenum to install the gasket, but its not hard.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:16 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I figured it would be more difficult. Do you have a pictorial DIY? One more question: With the 3/8" spacer and this new gasket, will I be able to keep the engine cover on or will it touch the hood?

Old 08-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by cato
I figured it would be more difficult. Do you have a pictorial DIY? One more question: With the 3/8" spacer and this new gasket, will I be able to keep the engine cover on or will it touch the hood?
For a pictoral DIY, PM me your email adress and I can send you the install manual. Its got lots of pictures and illustrations showing how to install it.
I would post it here but there is about 1meg worth of pictures.

You can certaintly keep the engine cover on and it probably won't touch the hood. If it does, you can remove the grommets on the back side of the cover and replace them on top of the plastic (in the same location) when you bolt it down. This will lower the cover by about 3/16" and should provide even more clearance than before.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Tony;
Re: engine cover
Is there much benefit to going with a Z type cover?

It would seem that if we're putting all this effort into keeping cool,
wouldn't using a Z cover would provide additional cooling benefit too?

Old 08-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
That will work. I've got the Z cover on my plenum too.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:35 AM
The gasket may look generic, but there is nothing generic about the material it is made with... Aramid (Kevlar).

And yes, I will have a Iso Thermal upgrade GB for the people that already have Motordyne spacers, or actually for anyone who wants a cooler running upper and lower plenum. And the upgrade will work with any of the plenum mods currently on the market.

Tony
Thanks for the detail. I’ll keep a look out for the upgrade GB.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
For those of us that are stupid (Like me), can I get an explanation and a link to what a Z cover is?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
For those of us that are stupid (Like me), can I get an explanation and a link to what a Z cover is?

Thanks,

Jeff
It's basically a 1/2 cover (that's what I call it)... it's the cover found on the 350Z - it only covers the very front of the plenum and not as much of the sides overall. It helps with clearance and plenum temp. I had to use aftermarket grommets and spacers though for perfect fit (with 1/2" spacer).

You can get carbon fiber from Stillen (expensive) and Performance Nissan: www.perfnissan.com/parts - if you want the stock cover (says Nissan) any Nissan dealer should have it.

I plan to paint mine smoked anodized color - and powder coat the plenum... Also, ma_sha1 took the Infiniti Logo of his stock cover and re-applied to CF cover, looks good - I plan to do the same.

Attached Thumbnails What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?-1035140carbon.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What happened to the Motordyne Engineering 3/8" plenum spacers?