FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 04:01 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: GroundingGear™

Gord,

You are the man!
Have you grounded the ECU directly yet? Do you think more
than the seven wires are overkill, like my 12 wire set?

cato

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
GG/DB red 12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

Old 10-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, we need to hear feedback on the 8 and possible 9 wires??

Old 10-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't done the ECU wire yet, so I can't fully endorse it, but it looks promising. They say that there are diminishing returns on most extra wires and anything over 7 or 8 in the G may not derive any benefits. I think this is the reason why most commercial kits are only five! The interesting thing about even the 5 is that I looked under the hood of a Honda once that proudly displayed his cool looking commercial H-G kit. One wire went to a point that probably would do little to improve performance, and the other to something that showed no continuity with existing ground, so should do absolutely nothing! Means he just paid triple my price for a 3 wire kit![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] BTW, Cato, feel free to change your signature to <font color=red>DB/GroundingGear™ Red 12-Wire Kit</font color=red>. I want to see ppl phone Stillen up and ask for GroundingGear™ by name and get silence on the other end (I was told this happened when someone phoned them up and asked for the G35 7-Wire kit!)[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 10-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Well, I'll suggest that to Howard, but I don't think he'll bother. He had one of the VW dealer techs do the install for him because VW uses some special 12 point star wrench to remove the engine cover. He's convinced that all of his lights are significantly brighter which is just a side bonus in addition to what he reports as a significant increase in power and response.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Administrator

I got feedback from Ross, the Infiniti service advisor with the BMW 325 Ci. Ross also races IMC Modified class and Stocks, so he thought that he'd be able to objectively say what his impressions were on the GroundingGear™.<font color=blue>

"What I noticed right off the bat was that the acceleration felt a lot crisper. The throttle response was better, and it seems to rev more freely to 5500 RPM. Also, the car had a 'cleaner feel' which is kind of hard to describe otherwise! All-in-all, they (the Hyper-Grounds) seem to be well worth it! I'm happy, and I'm going to tell some of the service guys over at (BMW) about it next time I'm there!"</font color=blue>

So, looks like it works on at least some Bimmers. The M3 is going to get back to me shortly.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:00 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gord,

If it works on the M3, that will be some unbeatable ride!
Thanks for Addict upgrade! LOL

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
DB/GroundingGear red 12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

Old 10-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Well, got back some early feedback from the M3. He says it's really hard to tell if it pulls any better, as the M3 pulls like crazy in any gear stock. Mind you, even Dinan's M3 in the new C&D didn't make much difference with a bigger airbox, new airflow meter, exhaust, and reprogramming the ECU!

What Shane did say was that he noticed that idle was better during cold starts so far. Used to stumble a bit, now he only noticed it once this week. Also thinks the M3 feels more "civilized" in everyday traffic. Couldn't describe it any better. Still hauls a$$ in a big way at WOT.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Administrator

No problem. I can answer that for you.

The 7th wire goes to the automatic transmission housing. Helps the tranny shift a bit better. Not needed on yours since it's a manual. So for your 6MT, the most I officially offer is 6+1. Since you don't have to get under the car, you should be able to install the entire set in under an hour (unless you drop a couple of nuts and bolts down into the dark recesses of your engine bay) quite easily by yourself as the instructions are quite clear I believe.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Hey good news for some of you. Looks like I might be able to get some Blue cable from Scosche like some of you have asked for! Until last week, I hadn't known that it came in Blue, and I haven't been willing to go with another brand. I'll take a look at it and see about getting some in a week or two. I know that a couple of the local WRX guys are looking for the Blue as well.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:21 AM

Gord,

Are you still making the GroundingGear for g35driver.com? If so, I'm interested. PM me.

If I get fired for reading this 2 hour thread, I blame you. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan / Brilliant Silver / Charcoal

Old 11-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Yes, and now that it's winter here in Edmonton, I may actually have a bit more time to do a few more forum member rides.

BTW, I take no responsibility for how you waste your time at work![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2003, 08:46 AM

Any word on the #8 or #9 wire? I know I ask this all the time but Dammit i want something else to do my machine. The plenum isn't coming until christmas

Old 11-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Not a whole lot of feedback about the 8th wire, but it seems to make a bit of difference with starting, and at least 1 report about better gas mileage. Not enough to draw any firm conclusions re the effectiveness either way. I suspect the law of diminishing returns certainly applies.

The 9th wire to the ECU looks more hopeful re actual gains, but again, feedback is even more limited, and it's installation is quite a bit more involved since you have to go through the firewall and under the dash. I'd love to try it myself, but I just don't have the time and now it's frigging winter here where I live!

Old 11-07-2003, 01:56 PM

Maybe i'm fine with 7. the 96 wire kit which connect each individual speaker wire strand to a ground point is a little too much for me.

Old 11-07-2003, 02:40 PM

Dude your invisible - are you trying to be stealty today or just got sick of your call sign

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread