Vortech FGC Special Pricing (not a Group Buy) :wink:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neffster
Actually I asked the question about the oil catch can and was told that it is probably not warranted (especially due to the fact that I probably won't even see 8psi with the Crawford Package) but if I did have any blow by it would do the trick. The price is under $100 and whenever someone mentions "DETONATION" I get a little chicken...

As far as the oil cooler, I'm still researching. The cost isn't the issue to me, it's the installation. Adding another quart of oil with the spacer may help keep the temps down, but how much when compared to the oil cooler and is it really needed?
Neffster
I see you are doing your homework. I think your on the right track. I will be installing the oil pan spacer and one other item that I feel is very important. The Nismo thermostat. One other thing to think about would be changing the start time on your electric fans. Make them come on sooner. I try to stay away from oil coolers if I can.

Last edited by GEE PASTA; 01-21-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
One other thing to think about would be changing the start time on your electric fans. Make them come on sooner.

How do you get them to turn on sooner?

Old 07-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by Gman2004
How do you get them to turn on sooner?
I have no idea as of now. IM sure the fan switch is triggered with some sort of thermostat.
I know the after-market fan kits work with a thermostat switch. Some you can set for lower temps. I will be looking in to this. Pasta

Old 07-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
I have no idea as of now. IM sure the fan switch is triggered with some sort of thermostat.
I know the after-market fan kits work with a thermostat switch. Some you can set for lower temps. I will be looking in to this. Pasta
Great! Please keep us in the loop when you find out something.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Papa-pasta,

Is the Nismo thermostat a radiator or oil thermostat? I was thinking that a 4th gauge (an oil temperature gauge) would be the ideal solution. This way we would know if we had a problem.

The only thing would be to have this gauge installed a good month in advance of the S/C so you would have a good base line.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Florida G35 Club
Papa-pasta,

Is the Nismo thermostat a radiator or oil thermostat? I was thinking that a 4th gauge (an oil temperature gauge) would be the ideal solution. This way we would know if we had a problem.

The only thing would be to have this gauge installed a good month in advance of the S/C so you would have a good base line.
It mounts on the block and controls your water temp. (radiator)
This low-temp thermostat for the VQ35 engine is a direct bolt-on replacement for the original. It opens at 154 degrees F compared to 170 degrees F for the stock Thermostat. Ideal for supercharged, turbocharged or sustained high RPM engines.

Keeping the cylinder heads cool is a must. I would think an oil temp gauge sure could not hurt.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
interesting, i'm gonna have to look into all these parts, specially this low-temp thermostat

Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, I've come to find out that we already have an oil cooler in our cars... good thing I didn't go off and buy another one. http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134600

Old 07-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Florida G35 Club
Well, I've come to find out that we already have an oil cooler in our cars... good thing I didn't go off and buy another one. http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134600
Neffster
Go figure I learn something new everyday, That is a neat setup from the factory. There are two benefits on that design. I like the fact that it will help heat the oil up on warm up, plus aid in cooling after. I never liked oil coolers for the reason I never felt I could change all the oil out on oil changes. I think I will setup my fans on a toggle switch. Bypass the factory "on" setting
That could be just switched on when in traffic. It cant hurt. Pasta

Old 07-30-2005, 08:29 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Hate to say iy fellas...but I think I might be getting cold feet on this. The more I think of it...the more I hate going FI on my AT after only 9K miles. I hate to lose my warranty so darn soon. I may just keep the kit laying around and maybe pull the trigger another day. I don't know...im off to go drinking and may rethink this after a few beers....cheers.

Flip flop flip flop......

Old 07-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
g8tor20 in a courtroom. Your honor my client is innocent, no he's guilty, I mean inncoent, wait I changed my mind again he's guilty.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
you wimp just go for it.

you wont regret it

have lokey install it if you are worried about warranty.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Sean hit the nail on the head! Jason, go with your gut. There are guys with 35,000 - 50,000 miles on their Forced Induction G's and Z's without any troubles. These forms of FI range from ATI prochargers to Vortech's to Stillen S/C's. Bottom line is getting a good tune and staying below 350rwtq. You will be well below this with your set up and should have a good 100,000+ miles of fun with your G.

I wouldn't even be responding to this thread if I didn't know you as well as I do. You are doing the EXACT same thing Randys_G did when he bought his Vortech. I laughed then and I'm lauging at you now... If you don't believe me, search the FI forum here on driver in the timeframe of ~ 1 year ago. Right after he pulled the trigger and paid for his S/C he was making the same kinds of posts...

Super Charger Anxiety

How much for internals and what do I need? HELP!

There, I did the searching for you. What you're experiencing is the result of a lack of research that YOU NEED to ease your mind. Heck, it took me a good year of researching before I was comfortable enough to pull the trigger. You stumbled across a great deal and didn't have the time to do enough research for YOU to be comfortable. Keep reading, studying and asking questions on my350z.com's FI forum.

IMO, if you really like your G and you want it to be faster than it is, you couldn't have made a better modding choice. That's my 2 cents, YMMV.

Last edited by neffster; 07-31-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what ever happend to trading your 5AT for a 6MT?

Old 07-31-2005, 12:30 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Sean
g8tor20 in a courtroom. Your honor my client is innocent, no he's guilty, I mean inncoent, wait I changed my mind again he's guilty.
I think the defendant is bluffing a little

In all seriousness, I see where Todd is coming from, but what does that have to do with the warranty? Jason said to quote "I hate to lose my warranty so darn soon.", it has nothing to do with how safe the Vortech is. Randy may have the mechanical knowledge or be in the financial state to pay for any warranty repairs that may be needed, but that's not the case with everyone. Sergio's clutch for example went bad shortly after the Vortech, of course the Vortech was hardly the reason but go prove it to the dealer. The biggest potential prolbem for us 6mt folks is the transmission (how many "tranny grinding" threads do you see a week?). It happens even on bone stock cars and now that's NOT cheap to replace without any warranty. You people relatively close to Lokey are lucky. But it's a risk you're taking and you have to expect to pay for it. That's what we all get for turning a means of transportation into a money pit, haha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vortech FGC Special Pricing (not a Group Buy) :wink: