G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Coupe Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got the motive pressure tool. Bleed calipers TWICE as per FSM. Still spongy and the pedal felt no difference. I was about to drive straight to Nissan and be done with it. However, I came across a video about the scan tools that activate your ABS system and aid in bleeding. My last theory is that there is air in the ABS module. So, my understanding is that I have to activate it via scan tool (or on a dirt road as others have said). The tool I've come across is $150 and does work on our car.

Thoughts?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 G35 DE coupe
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
My response was not to you but yeah, I'm pretty straightforward and I thinks it comes across as blunt at times in our digital communication world. Remember though what I post is only my opinion based on experience and if you like what you have done to your car enjoy it, don't let my shizz bring you down. ;D
I would try some dirt road hard stops to engage the ABS, then bleed and repeat a couple of times before going to the dealership. But that's just me. I wouldn't' imagine the service charge would be astronomical but you may call and get a quote. I'd be interested to know the cost, is it worth paying to not deal with the hassle...

Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 PM
Just talked to Nissan. $120 diagnostics + cost to fix. If it is air in the brakes it's an additional $120 to bleed. He also mentioned that his service manager has to approve them working on the car because I suspect he didn't know that the Brembo's are OEM parts. After telling him I've tried to bleed them a few times he thinks its the master cylinder or booster. I don't think its either. A failing booster has very different symptoms. And I doubt my master cylinder would fail conveniently at the same time I did this caliper switch. So I'm looking at a potential $240 brake bleed... The scan tool for our cars can be had for $150 on Amazon that does also have the abs functions. Very frustrating. I may just buy the tool.. Or at the very least tonight drive around like a maniac to try to get it to activate.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:02 PM
2004 G35 DE coupe
Originally Posted by effimero89
Just talked to Nissan. $120 diagnostics + cost to fix. If it is air in the brakes it's an additional $120 to bleed. He also mentioned that his service manager has to approve them working on the car because I suspect he didn't know that the Brembo's are OEM parts. After telling him I've tried to bleed them a few times he thinks its the master cylinder or booster. I don't think its either. A failing booster has very different symptoms. And I doubt my master cylinder would fail conveniently at the same time I did this caliper switch. So I'm looking at a potential $240 brake bleed... The scan tool for our cars can be had for $150 on Amazon that does also have the abs functions. Very frustrating. I may just buy the tool.. Or at the very least tonight drive around like a maniac to try to get it to activate.
Sounds like you have a dumbass dealership. There should be no diagnostic fee to simply bleed new fluid into the system. I'd do it myself and leave them for a last choice. Be clear if you do take it to them that you want to simply bleed new fluid into the system.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:35 AM
I might be cursed. I was driving around and got the abs to trigger plenty of times then the car died

Looks like I'm doing an alternator as well this weekend

Old 01-30-2019, 09:28 AM
2004 G35 DE coupe
I might be cursed. I was driving around and got the abs to trigger plenty of times then the car died

Looks like I'm doing an alternator as well this weekend
Hang in there man, there actually fun cars when you get them mechanically sound and the satisfaction of getting it there...

Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Well, I got the motive pressure tool. Bleed calipers TWICE as per FSM. Still spongy and the pedal felt no difference. I was about to drive straight to Nissan and be done with it. However, I came across a video about the scan tools that activate your ABS system and aid in bleeding. My last theory is that there is air in the ABS module. So, my understanding is that I have to activate it via scan tool (or on a dirt road as others have said). The tool I've come across is $150 and does work on our car.

Thoughts?
Doesn't the Brembos have 2 bleeders per caliper? Are you bleeding the outside, then inside? Are the valves pointing up? Should also do the pump the brakes bleed method, the vacuum ones don't build up enough pressure on the lines, so that could be another cause for spongy pedal.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:02 PM
Yes, I bleed inner valve first then outer. Yes, valves are oriented correctly. I've done pumping brakes as well. Believe me ive ruled out everything I can do. The other option I could think of was air in abs.

So I drove around to get it to active and did a bunch of times but the car died and coincidentally I now need an alternator. Which I'm doing over the weekend. I guess its better I discovered that while driving on my own road rather than going to work im the morning. But I wont be able to get to the brakes until that is done...

Old 02-01-2019, 03:47 PM
2004 G35 DE coupe
Suspension advice

I have a 2004 G35 coupe I've been working on and would like to get some input into a couple of options I've come up with. The car has Hotchkiss lowering springs with 2004 OEM struts and shocks so looking to update it. I like the lowered stance and the ride is fair, you can tell it had a sporty ride but has gotten a little worn out. It has SPC camber arms on the rear and nothing on the front. The alignment was a mess when I got it and put new tires on it. I've ordered SPC toe bolts and deliberating on which front camber arms (a future purchase). I'm considering either keeping the springs and doing new shocks or doing a base true coil over. I'm trying to decide between the KYB Excel-g struts and shocks on existing springs or the Tein Street Basis coil overs. My primary use of the car is just a daily driver. It will not see any track time other than maybe an occasional 1/8 mile run with friends on test and tune night. My concern with the KYB option is since they are a factory replacement style shock and not specifically for a lowered car how will it handle? Will it be bouncy with the extra compression. My concern with the Teins will they lower to the same stance as the current Hotchkiss setup? I kinda like the coil over option as I can eliminate the toe bolts and install toe links making a nice looking setup. Ideally I would love to the the Bilstein B8 for lowered setups but at close to $800 that's a little more than I want to spend. KYB is definately the cheapest option at $300 and the Tein's are just over $500.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by jparker7269
I have a 2004 G35 coupe I've been working on and would like to get some input into a couple of options I've come up with. The car has Hotchkiss lowering springs with 2004 OEM struts and shocks so looking to update it. I like the lowered stance and the ride is fair, you can tell it had a sporty ride but has gotten a little worn out. It has SPC camber arms on the rear and nothing on the front. The alignment was a mess when I got it and put new tires on it. I've ordered SPC toe bolts and deliberating on which front camber arms (a future purchase). I'm considering either keeping the springs and doing new shocks or doing a base true coil over. I'm trying to decide between the KYB Excel-g struts and shocks on existing springs or the Tein Street Basis coil overs. My primary use of the car is just a daily driver. It will not see any track time other than maybe an occasional 1/8 mile run with friends on test and tune night. My concern with the KYB option is since they are a factory replacement style shock and not specifically for a lowered car how will it handle? Will it be bouncy with the extra compression. My concern with the Teins will they lower to the same stance as the current Hotchkiss setup? I kinda like the coil over option as I can eliminate the toe bolts and install toe links making a nice looking setup. Ideally I would love to the the Bilstein B8 for lowered setups but at close to $800 that's a little more than I want to spend. KYB is definately the cheapest option at $300 and the Tein's are just over $500.
I have the Tein Street Basis coilovers on my coupe. They have the ability to get your car very low if you wanted to. They feel almost like stock suspension, but just slightly stiffer. Check out my build thread if u wanna see em. The car is my daily driver but I do occasionally do some tight turning/powerdrifting.

The following users liked this post:
jparker7269 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coupe
Originally Posted by jparker7269
Im guessing all your bushings are fine. Save up and get fully adjustable coilovers. If you really cant wait, then yeah get the Teins. Just know if it ever fails you need to ship it off for repair. Which i doubt would happen tbh.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
On a daily driver you don't need coilovers. I am very happy with both the ride and handling of my G on KYB struts all around, and I push my car every time I get the chance.
If you track, the adjustment ability of coilovers is a huge advantage but if not, spend the money on replacing old parts and installing poly bushings all round instead. Even if the rubber bushings seem fine now they're the weak point in the front end and you'll have to pull everything apart to replace them sooner or later.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 03 G35 Coupe started leaking from the filler hose the other day... Can I get it fixed under the recall still or ??

Old 02-04-2019, 12:28 PM
2004 G35 DE coupe
Originally Posted by cswlightning
On a daily driver you don't need coilovers. I am very happy with both the ride and handling of my G on KYB struts all around, and I push my car every time I get the chance.
If you track, the adjustment ability of coilovers is a huge advantage but if not, spend the money on replacing old parts and installing poly bushings all round instead. Even if the rubber bushings seem fine now they're the weak point in the front end and you'll have to pull everything apart to replace them sooner or later.
Thanks for the feedback. I've used KYB on a few previous cars with good results. They make a good quality product, that's why theyre a consideration. I have actually replaced all the front lower suspension components already and looking to buy adjustable front uppers at some point. The rear camber arms are relatively new and the remaining rears are in good shape. The diff bushings are a different story. I have a Z1 rear kit ready to go on once I get a whole gameplan together. I haven't looked at the cradle bushing yet but if theyre in good shape I'll probably at least do lockouts. I've put regular replacement shocks on a lowered vehicles before with questionable results is the only reason I am hesitant. The car was a little bouncy. I would like to replace the spring buckets with adjustable toe arms so that in itself lends to doing a coil over setup. Z1 replied to a message and asked me to give them a call to discuss options. It is a daily driver but I like them pretty aggressive. We have my wife's Mercedes for comfortable rides and I have my new Roush mustang for weekend excitement... I'll check back in later...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Ooh Roush Mustang, do tell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coupe Random Little Question Thread