G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

RPM jumping when accelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM jumping when accelerating

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to posting so I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section.

I have a 05 6MT Coupe and have been experiencing the following:

When I accelerate, the tachometer readings go up to around 4,000 RPM then jumps down to around 3,000 RPM. When I step on the gas it even feels laggy and unresponsive, although the car does accelerate at a slow rate. This only occurs at higher RPMs.

Anyone experience anything like this? I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
You probably need a new clutch. It sounds like your current one is slipping.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM
anyway to know for sure? and im sure this is case by case by does the flywheel usually need to be replaced along with the clutch?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by white_hole
anyway to know for sure? and im sure this is case by case by does the flywheel usually need to be replaced along with the clutch?
The flywheel rarely needs to be replaced unless you have chipped teeth on it or it's already been resurfaced a few times. If it's your first clutch job on the car, the flywheel should be fine after a resurfacing.

If your RPMs are doing what you say, it's either the clutch slipping or your tires spinning. Assuming you're not driving on ice or an oily road surface, that should be pretty easy to differentiate.

Basically if you hit the gas lightly and the car catches, but when you hit it harder it slips... your clutch is on its way out. Does your clutch pedal return to it's full upright position after you let your foot off of it? If not, maybe you're not clutch is not being completely engaged when your foot is off of the pedal.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah the way you described it with light gas etc. is precisely what is happening...it only happens over 4,000RPM (approximately).

The clutch returns to its upright position but sometimes it "sticks". Even when I step on it all the way down sometimes it gets stuck midway and I have to manually pull it up with my foot. Not sure if this is related.

The car has around 70k miles

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by white_hole
Yeah the way you described it with light gas etc. is precisely what is happening...it only happens over 4,000RPM (approximately).

The clutch returns to its upright position but sometimes it "sticks". Even when I step on it all the way down sometimes it gets stuck midway and I have to manually pull it up with my foot. Not sure if this is related.

The car has around 70k miles
That's not good if you have to pull the clutch pedal up like that manually. Have you checked your clutch fluid reservoir to make sure the fluid is topped up? I wonder if you have a problem with the clutch hydraulics, although hydraulics should not interfere with the clutch engaging, since the natural motion of the clutch is to be engaged due to the pressure plate's spring-action. Pushing in the pedal forces the clutch plate away from the flywheel (against the natural motion of the pressure plate) and disengages the drivetrain from the power delivery of the motor. I would think that a hydraulics problem would basically cause the clutch to remain engaged all the time, rather than be partially engaged at any point.

Definitely let us know if your clutch fluid reservoir is low or empty though.

70K miles sounds reasonable for a clutch replacement, although the range of miles could be ridiculously huge depending on driving tendencies.

The following users liked this post:
white_hole (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Haven't checked the clutch fluid. It happens intermittently...I'll check it out when I get home and will update.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another thing to look at as the culprit is the throw out bearing sticking. My clutch gave me some serious problems and it ended up being the throw out bearing for me, just my 2 cents