G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

TPMS & New Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS & New Wheels

I plan on getting some new wheels, and need to have the new wheels learned by the car. So now I have seen many threads on how to do it yourself but not descriptive enough. If I get new wheels how do I make my car relearn the new wheels. I have. A 2004 G35 Coupe if it helps. If you can link to a nice thread or help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
If you have $100 you can buy 4 CD001 sensors from eBay. If your Infiniti dealership near you is cool they can activate your new wheels for free to the car.

Otherwise the thread is called" Tpms Relearn without consult" or something.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:53 AM
No the new wheels have TPMS already why buy those exactly. Explain. I'm new. Lol

Old 11-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Shared post from 'G35Driver' by SiouxFallsG35 from thread 'tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools':

Just came across this Potential gem in the G35 Canada area courtesy of zx10r_646:

Like most of you I have summer and winter wheels , each with tire pressure sensors. I have been searching for a DIY so I do not have to take my vehicle to the dealer every time I swap my wheels to register the tpms wheel sensors.

I have finally found a way to reset the tpms and register the pressure sensor IDs without any special tools (with the help of OBD3 Solutions and their BLOG - http://blog.obd3solutions.com/en/?p=20).

OBD3 found a way to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with a piece of wire and then register the tpms wheel sensor IDs using a wheel sensor activation tool. So if you have a tool to activate the wheel pressure sensors, you are all set to re-calibrate your wheels sensors yourself.

But if you are like me and do not want to spend $300-$500 to purchase a wheel sensor activation tool such as the KTI pst (www.ktipst.com), the service manual describes a method of registering the wheel sensor IDs without the use of an activation tool. All you have to do is alter the pressure in each tire, put the tpms into learning mode and drive the vehicle until all of the wheel pressure sensors are registered.

So last night I experimented to see if I could use 1) the ODB3 method to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with 2) the method described in the service manual to activate the wheel sensors without an activation tool.

It worked... after a little experimenting. The steps I used to register my winter wheel sensors were:

1) set different tire pressures in each wheel: RF to 34psi, LF to 31psi, LR to 28 psi and RR to 26psi;
2) start engine;
3) perform the OBD3 procedure to reset and put the tpms into learning mode - tpms warning light should be blinking;
4) drive vehicle around at speeds greater than 40kph until the tpms warning light stops blinking and turns off. Note a short time later, the tpms warning light should go on and stay on (since one or more of your wheels will be lower that 28psi);
5) disconnect the wire from the connector; and
6) reinflate the tire pressure to spec. and drive around until the tpms warning light turns off.

Larry
With all the millions of TPMS threads that we've had over the years, I'm in shock that these guys at odb3solutions.com have figured it out. Many thanks to Larry for bringing this to the forum and I'm sure you can agree that the US folks should be seeing this as well.

My personal take? I'll continue looking at the warning light over the winter. Too many hoops to jump through 2 times a year, not to mention some minimal risk of electrical damage. Am I still impressed though - absolutely.

Original thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...er-wheels.html

Shared via Forum Runner.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Shared post from 'G35Driver' by onthe3rdday from thread 'DIY: TPMS sensor reset':

I ate a curb last night and cracked my LF rim I went to NY and grabbed a set of rear 18's and moved my rear 17's up front. I had to reset the TPMS system afterwards to get the system to recognize the new sensors.

Procedure:
Set the tire pressures to the following values

RF34 RR26
LF31 LR28

Locate the TPMS Service connector by doing the following:
Remove the plastic panel directly below the steering wheel (you must remove two other panels to get to it), and taped to the OBD harness is the TPMS Service connector

Feed the service connector through the OBD2 data connector opening and then replace the plastic panel.

Back-probe the service connector with a paperclip or something similar, I used one of the probes from my meter.

Start the engine.

Ground the service connector to the chassis 5 times, about once per second.

Your TPMS light will begin flashing

Take a 5-5.5 mile drive and your TPMS light will turn off.

Immediately refill the tires to the recommended pressure... in my case 35psi. If you do not, the sensor will alert you with an annoying high pitched beep. Enjoy your dash with no TPMS light!!!

Shared via Forum Runner.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Tire pressures were set cold.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by privatecorye
I plan on getting some new wheels, and need to have the new wheels learned by the car. So now I have seen many threads on how to do it yourself but not descriptive enough. If I get new wheels how do I make my car relearn the new wheels. I have. A 2004 G35 Coupe if it helps. If you can link to a nice thread or help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
You don't need new sensors if they're working for you now and not throwing the error code on your dash! When you get the new wheels have the sensors from your current wheels installed. My sensors have been in and out of 5 sets of wheels without issues...Gary

Old 11-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I never said I need new sensors why do ya'll keep saying that. I have sensors on my current wheels. They work. I'm getting new wheels today, WHICH means I will need the car to recognize the new wheels because they're different sensors. Are you saying I can take the old sensor off my other wheels. When I read that thread it's so confusing still, ground the wire like it's a bunch of slang I don't understand I'm the type of person that needs every hair of a step.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Go to that thread it has pictures lol. And I'm assuming your running a set of winter wheels, thus needing another set of TPMS.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Go to that thread it has pictures lol. And I'm assuming your running a set of winter wheels, thus needing another set of TPMS.
No I'm just changing wheels, I had 17" oem but I'm upgrading to 19" oem. This is not a season upgrade, this is a permanent upgrade. Just listen to me.. You guys aren't understanding me.

I have OEM 17" wheels with TPMS on them. Okay?

I am changing to 19" OEM wheels along with new tires. These wheels have TPMS as well.

Will I need to reset my TPMS system to recognize these new wheels?

How do I do it without having a thread give me the damn da Vinci code. GET ME? Lol

Old 11-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

No I'm just changing wheels, I had 17" oem but I'm upgrading to 19" oem. This is not a season upgrade, this is a permanent upgrade. Just listen to me.. You guys aren't understanding me. I have OEM 17" wheels with TPMS on them. Okay? I am changing to 19" OEM wheels along with new tires. These wheels have TPMS as well. Will I need to reset my TPMS system to recognize these new wheels? How do I do it with having a thread give me the damn da Vinci code. GET ME? Lol

Shared post from 'G35Driver' by onthe3rdday from thread 'DIY: TPMS sensor reset':

Search that thread, Page 1, Post 1. It shows you how to back probe the TPMS relearn cord (take a store bought voltage meter wire here) and ground it to something like the seat mount (how I used to do it). It's taped to the OBD2 port right now.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Is there somebody in Texas I can pay a small amount to do this.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I just f'n love it when members don't read what I post! Take the TPMS out of your old wheels and have them installed in your new wheels, there is no reason to teach them anything they already know their job!! Like I posted, I've done this with 5 different sets of wheels without issues.
Gary

Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Lets lay it out with a few options here..

Option #1) Pay a shop to remove the original TPMS sensors from your current 17" wheels and install them in the 19" wheels. No programming needed here as the sensors that the car recognizes are still present.

For you to do Option #2, you need to verify that the TPMS sensors installed in the 19" wheels are in fact OEM nissan TPMS sensors, and not sensors from a Toyota or aftermarket sensors. If they are not OEM nissans sensors, you will need to buy some sensors part number 40700- CD001 and install them.

Option #2) https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...ml#post6799427

Option #3) Go to dealer and pay them to do it all.

Option #4) Live with the TPMS light on.

Those are your 4 choices. Which one do you want to go with?

Old 11-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

I never said I need new sensors why do ya'll keep saying that. I have sensors on my current wheels. They work. I'm getting new wheels today, WHICH means I will need the car to recognize the new wheels because they're different sensors. Are you saying I can take the old sensor off my other wheels. When I read that thread it's so confusing still, ground the wire like it's a bunch of slang I don't understand I'm the type of person that needs every hair of a step.
He's got da sensors in the new ones already llllllooooloolololll.

He just won't listen and do the simple reset himself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPMS & New Wheels