G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Papa
One way, depending on how bad the bearing is worn, you can jack your car up on one side, leaving the wheel bolted on, grab the top and bottom of the tire and attempt to wiggle the wheel/tire. If there is play, there is a bad bearing. This is more noticeable on the rear than the front. My fronts got loud, humming at higher speeds before I replaced them.

The front is only sold as a complete assembly, hub and bearing. The rear you can purchase the bearing only and hub seperately. If you purchase the bearing alone, you need to have the old one pressed off and the new one pressed back in by your mechanic.
Thanks man. I'm hoping someone can confirm that this is actually the right part before I order it. In Toronto, I'm being quoted $240 for the hub/bearing assembly. but a place like Rock Auto is selling it for half price.

TIMKEN Part # HA590027
example:
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
^That looks to be the right one based on the description. That is however an oem replacement and not a Nissan OEM part. I don't know if there is a difference in quality or not.

These are the ones I picked up a few weeks ago, direct from a Nissan dealer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 G Sedan 6MT

The plastic trim of my center console immeadiately around the shift **** has started creaking/popping to $h!t. Before, it would only creak/pop when going over bumps but now it's going constantly! Anyone else having this issue? Is this something that I can take care of with insulation? I'm so apprehensive when it comes to taking the console apart due to the fear of breaking a clip or something.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
2005 G Sedan 6MT

The plastic trim of my center console immeadiately around the shift **** has started creaking/popping to $h!t. Before, it would only creak/pop when going over bumps but now it's going constantly! Anyone else having this issue? Is this something that I can take care of with insulation? I'm so apprehensive when it comes to taking the console apart due to the fear of breaking a clip or something.
are you sure its in the area of the shift ****?... a common creek in that area is the armrest (lid), it's the rubber feet in the front... within the first year mine was creaking - they don't have just the feet/bumpers so the dealer replaced the entire lid under warranty = no more creaks.

If this is the culprit, try putting some thin felt pads on the plastic (lower) part on the console directly wear the rubber feet sit... you can buy adhesive felt pads at Home Depot.

If you are sure it's the shift **** bezel (trim, whatever you call it), I'm not sure if you can fit felt pads under that without it being visible... double check though and make sure it's not the area I mentioned - that's a common creak point.

*Edit - I'm AT, so I'm not sure the MT center console lid is the same...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RLQ

I'm going on a roadtrip this weekend and I was thinking of replacing some of the belts before going because they look cracked
I dont want to end up stranded on the side of the highway
my car has about 102,XXX miles on it

I know these cars have a timing chain that basically never goes bad, but would anybody care to recommend which belts I should change before the weekend?

thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
how much do you think i could sell my tein basics for?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
no more then 500 bucks.... last set on driver that sold IIRC went for 400 bucks

harvey is selling his i think for 400 right now as well ..

Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM
damn, that sucks.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by incubus3612
RLQ

I'm going on a roadtrip this weekend and I was thinking of replacing some of the belts before going because they look cracked
I dont want to end up stranded on the side of the highway
my car has about 102,XXX miles on it

I know these cars have a timing chain that basically never goes bad, but would anybody care to recommend which belts I should change before the weekend?

thanks
If you want to just get a good feeling about going onto the road just take it to your trusted mechanic and have him look over the car for anything he thinks might be an issue. Be it plugs, belts etc. Normally belts won't break unless the cracking is really bad and they have dried out a lot. You will start to hear them whine before they break in most cases.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats reassuring
Thanks for the reply

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
If you want to just get a good feeling about going onto the road just take it to your trusted mechanic and have him look over the car for anything he thinks might be an issue. Be it plugs, belts etc. Normally belts won't break unless the cracking is really bad and they have dried out a lot. You will start to hear them whine before they break in most cases.
+1. A quick once-over from a mechanic would be more peace of mind than just replacing belts that may or may not need it.

Remember too, belts naturally develop cracking on the ribbed side that runs across the ribs, the only problem is if there are chunks of ribs missing, a crack that runs all the way across all the ribs in one place, cracks that run along the length of the belt, big cracks on the smooth side of the belt.

If you have those, might be time to think about changing them. If not, you're fine.

I've only had problems with one belt on mine, it was the AC belt (not necessary for the car to run) and it slung one of the ribs off completely without breaking the belt (AC still worked) so yeah, not too much to worry about.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
+1. A quick once-over from a mechanic would be more peace of mind than just replacing belts that may or may not need it.

Remember too, belts naturally develop cracking on the ribbed side that runs across the ribs, the only problem is if there are chunks of ribs missing, a crack that runs all the way across all the ribs in one place, cracks that run along the length of the belt, big cracks on the smooth side of the belt.

If you have those, might be time to think about changing them. If not, you're fine.

I've only had problems with one belt on mine, it was the AC belt (not necessary for the car to run) and it slung one of the ribs off completely without breaking the belt (AC still worked) so yeah, not too much to worry about.
lies, cracks can slit just as easy. deal with it every day. and fraying is the sneaky killer of belts when the get caught behind a pulley

Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM
? = 2B || !2B

^Sorry, bad wording... that was supposed to read: The only problems are chunks of ribs missing, a crack that runs...... etc....

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^Sorry, bad wording... that was supposed to read: The only problems are chunks of ribs missing, a crack that runs...... etc....
ah, and how have you been thanked 51 times already?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM
? = 2B || !2B

^You're looking at the wrong part. I've only been thanked once.

I've "thanked" 51 times though.

Credit where credit due, more happiness in giving, karma, etc....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread