G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
I am pretty confused by your post -

1. " Anyway good to know, so that means I can put HID's in there" - in where?
2. "and have them at full power " - What do you mean? Nobody runs HIDs at half power
3. "when I apply the highbeams as long as I have my fogs on at all times" - a. design dictates that fogs automatically turn off when high beams are turned on (fogs hurt distance vision)
- b. Why would you have your fogs on at all times.
4. "(Don't worry I'll be modifying the shield to prevent glare when the fogs are on)." - Im not sure which shield you are referring to, we have reflectors not projectors.
Sorry for the confusion.

1. I'm trying to put HID's in the fog light / high beam housing.

2. What I meant here was when I turn on the high beams I would like them to be at full power and I know HID's take a while to reach full power which is why they aren't recommended for high beam application. BUT if I keep the foglights on then the HID's will be running at full power when I apply the high beams right? (< I believe that answered 3b)

4. I'm refering to the same shield that is in our HID reflector housing for our low beams that prevent glare. I'm assuming that our fog light housing has a shield that comes on and off since it does turn into a high beam some how.

I hope that clears everything up!!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay. So I have a couple of questions.. Barely got my first G yesterday, an 07 Coupe. Been wanting em since they first came out but started off with a Civic lol. Anyways...

I seem to be missing one lug nut from each wheel.. lmao. Something that I totally didn't even realize until today. What lug nuts should I be getting? If it helps I have the 19 inch OEM Rays.

Also.. my windshield wiper fluid doesn't work. Now this is something that the original owner had told me before I purchased it. He told me that the windshield washer hose is a little ripped or something. So how would I go about changing that?

And I can get the clips for the black fender panels and the screws for the engine cover at a dealership right? That should be all of my questions lol. I need to replace one of my license plate lights too because he changed them to 5000k LED or HID or something and one of them went out, but I'm pretty sure I can search up another thread on that.

Anyways. Thanks in advance. I'm a TOTAL newb at everything G35.. It's a HUGE change from a Civic.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by G_DiRTY5
Sorry for the confusion.

1. I'm trying to put HID's in the fog light / high beam housing.

2. What I meant here was when I turn on the high beams I would like them to be at full power and I know HID's take a while to reach full power which is why they aren't recommended for high beam application. BUT if I keep the foglights on then the HID's will be running at full power when I apply the high beams right? (< I believe that answered 3b)

4. I'm refering to the same shield that is in our HID reflector housing for our low beams that prevent glare. I'm assuming that our fog light housing has a shield that comes on and off since it does turn into a high beam some how.

I hope that clears everything up!!
What you are describing is a bixenon HID. There is no shield in the housing, be it low beam or high beam. The low beam is just designed for HIDs, and doesnt have glare as a result.

The reason why they have both fog lights and high beam in the same housing is because they use a dual filament bulb, and the reflector reflects differently depending on where the light source.

There was a thread about pnp HIDs in there, fog light only worked ok. The PNP bixenon (They have a shield around the BULB that retracts) was terrible and caused all kinds of glare and weird marks in the cutoff.

Putting HIDs in halogen reflectors is never a good idea, but if you want HID high beams then I guess you dont have to worry about glare. If you get a good OEM quality ballast the warm up time wont be too intolerable.

You may actually see worse with HID high beams though, since the light source is not where its supposed to be. The light concentration wont be in the right place.

I know I already mentioned this to you, but if you want HID high beams, get this: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Retrofit that into your low beam location. These are "easy" retrofit projectors. They have threads built into the projector which you just put through a hole (You make the hole that the bulb slides through bigger) and then secure with a big nut on the other side.

Here is a DIY for that projector: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206263
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-h...gen-civic.html
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=847625

You could also get somebody else to do a retrofit for you. I know that R1 Autoworks does it at good prices.

Last edited by DVG; 07-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 AM
DVG
Originally Posted by Airic214
yes, how much do you think they should be priced?
75-100
Past FS threads:

https://g35driver.com/forums/lights/...se-lights.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/lights/...rse-tails.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/archive...se-lights.html

Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Question:

I tried removing my license plate bulb today to ensure I can do a LED swap before I order the LED bulb. I was able to remove the case but I had problems removing the bulb from the grey "housing" I guess you could call it. How do you remove the bulb?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewtastic
Okay. So I have a couple of questions.. Barely got my first G yesterday, an 07 Coupe. Been wanting em since they first came out but started off with a Civic lol. Anyways...

I seem to be missing one lug nut from each wheel.. lmao. Something that I totally didn't even realize until today. What lug nuts should I be getting? If it helps I have the 19 inch OEM Rays.

Also.. my windshield wiper fluid doesn't work. Now this is something that the original owner had told me before I purchased it. He told me that the windshield washer hose is a little ripped or something. So how would I go about changing that?

And I can get the clips for the black fender panels and the screws for the engine cover at a dealership right? That should be all of my questions lol. I need to replace one of my license plate lights too because he changed them to 5000k LED or HID or something and one of them went out, but I'm pretty sure I can search up another thread on that.

Anyways. Thanks in advance. I'm a TOTAL newb at everything G35.. It's a HUGE change from a Civic.
Congrats on the new G and welcome to the forum!

I seem to be having the same issue with my washer fluid when I turn it on to spray it, it just drools it out. I got the mechanic to check it out the other week when I had my wheel bearing replaced and he swore he didn't touch a thing and it works perfect now. Weird....

Originally Posted by DVG
What you are describing is a bixenon HID. There is no shield in the housing, be it low beam or high beam. The low beam is just designed for HIDs, and doesnt have glare as a result.

The reason why they have both low beam and high beam in the same housing is because they use a dual filament bulb, and the reflector reflects differently depending on where the light source.

There was a thread about pnp HIDs in there, fog light only worked ok. The PNP bixenon (They have a shield around the BULB that retracts) was terrible and caused all kinds of glare and weird marks in the cutoff.

Putting HIDs in halogen reflectors is never a good idea, but if you want HID high beams then I guess you dont have to worry about glare. If you get a good OEM quality ballast the warm up time wont be too intolerable.

You may actually see worse with HID high beams though, since the light source is not where its supposed to be. The light concentration wont be in the right place.

I know I already mentioned this to you, but if you want HID high beams, get this: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Retrofit that into your low beam location. These are "easy" retrofit projectors. They have threads built into the projector which you just put through a hole (You make the hole that the bulb slides through bigger) and then secure with a big nut on the other side.

Here is a DIY for that projector: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206263
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-h...gen-civic.html
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=847625

You could also get somebody else to do a retrofit for you. I know that R1 Autoworks does it at good prices.
Wow thanks that was a lot of great info!

I did plan on doing retro fits eventually but I wanted the Bi-xennon just temporarily until I get around to doing it.

I guess I should have mentioned this before but I also have an '03 Honda CRV and I put in HID's in the reflector housing (don't worry I angled the headlights down to reduce glare). It's 1 bulb for highbeam and lowbeam and the way it works is the bulb moves up and down. I figured thats how the foglight and highbeam worked in our cars.

Anyway I just sent R1autoworks an email about retro fitting!!

Originally Posted by dominate
Question:

I tried removing my license plate bulb today to ensure I can do a LED swap before I order the LED bulb. I was able to remove the case but I had problems removing the bulb from the grey "housing" I guess you could call it. How do you remove the bulb?

Thanks
I just ripped the bulb out haha, I got an LED in there and it looks gooood.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
how much should 05-06 trunk lights be? somebody selling them to me for $150 is this a good deal?
Originally Posted by DVG
The reverse lights you mean? If so, way overpriced IMHO
yes, how much do you think they should be priced?
It depends on the type of LED, how many LED in the bulb, how bright or what shade. You can get two really good reverse LED bulbs for about $50 each from vleds.com. $150 for both seems a bit steep.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by dofu
It depends on the type of LED, how many LED in the bulb, how bright or what shade. You can get two really good reverse LED bulbs for about $50 each from vleds.com. $150 for both seems a bit steep.
Im pretty sure hes talking about the housings

Old 07-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
3. "when I apply the highbeams as long as I have my fogs on at all times" - a. design dictates that fogs automatically turn off when high beams are turned on (fogs hurt distance vision)
Lets clear up one thing here: The G uses H4 hi/low bulbs for the fog lights, and these are bulbs that can only do low or high - that is the only reason why the G has either fog light or high beam and never both. Since fog lights, driving lights, and high beams all focus light on different areas, having them all on at the same time will not hinder lighting performance of either high beam, low beam, or fog light as long as they are running on separate bulbs.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by dofu
Lets clear up one thing here: The G uses H4 hi/low bulbs for the fog lights, and these are bulbs that can only do low or high - that is the only reason why the G has either fog light or high beam and never both. Since fog lights, driving lights, and high beams all focus light on different areas, having them all on at the same time will not hinder lighting performance of either high beam, low beam, or fog light as long as they are running on separate bulbs.
Maybe H4s are only capable of one filament running at a time, but if you look at any car with OEM fog lights you will notice that they turn off whenever you put the high beams.

Fog lights does hurt distance vision. They are mostly foreground light (being that they are fog lights and all) and increased foreground light makes your pupils dilate, which causes them to be less sensitive to light. Meaning you wont be able to see as far.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...t-a-good-thing

Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by G_DiRTY5
I just ripped the bulb out haha, I got an LED in there and it looks gooood.
Thanks, I'm not sure if thats the proper way to remove the license plate bulb though lol? I didn't want to break anything so I didn't want to force it out

Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by dominate
Thanks, I'm not sure if thats the proper way to remove the license plate bulb though lol? I didn't want to break anything so I didn't want to force it out
Lol I dont think he meant literally :P

I assume you've already looked at it? I think it should be obvious once you get on your back and look at it. I think that you remove the license plate, remove the screws holding the lamp in place, and then slide it off, towards the car.

I might be thinking of the wrong car though.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by DVG
Lol I dont think he meant literally :P

I assume you've already looked at it? I think it should be obvious once you get on your back and look at it. I think that you remove the license plate, remove the screws holding the lamp in place, and then slide it off, towards the car.

I might be thinking of the wrong car though.
Yeah I was able to get the bulb out in the open (like I could touch it). I just wasn't sure how to proceed from there to get the bulb loose.

It's not the exact same thing, but see the grey things that the bulbs are attached to in this picture? That's where I'm at now, trying to get that bulb out from that grey thing.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 PM
DVG
Oh I didnt interpret properly.

So which step are you at? Have you removed the bulb socket? i.e. could you throw your lamp assembly down the street if you wanted to? If so you just have to pull the bulb out of its socket.

If the bulb socket is still attached to the lamp socket, it either just pulls out (Again, cant remember which car that was on) or you twists the socket and then take it out, like you would with the sidemarker sockets that you showed.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 PM
I have removed the bulb socket from the lamp, I'm at the part where I'm trying to remove the bulb from the socket (sorry I didn't use proper terminology in my initial post).

In this picture, I'm trying to remove the bulb from part #4.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread