G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Steering kickback over uneven undulating road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering kickback over uneven undulating road

Does anyone experience this sensation while drive their G35 coupe or sedan?

I feel this sensation when making turns through curves at a moderate pace. If you hit a crack or pothole in the road, the steering wheel seems to kick back at you and the road feel connection goes away.

"Single pivot lower Arms vs. the older twin lower links"

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/113463-07-g35-motor-trend-article-scanned.html

Motortrend's recent test of the new 07 G35 with updated suspension states that problem is still there even with more laser welds and spot welds in combination with new control arms.

Do you think it's just the way our car is because of it's price or is it a issue Infiniti needs to look into to finally overtake BMW's 3 Series?

Old 08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by waterp7

I feel this sensation when making turns through curves at a moderate pace. If you hit a crack or pothole in the road, the steering wheel seems to kick back at you and the road feel connection goes away.

"Single pivot lower Arms vs. the older twin lower links"

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113463

Motortrend's recent test of the new 07 G35 with updated suspension states that problem is still there even with more laser welds and spot welds in combination with new control arms.

Do you think it's just the way our car is because of it's price or is it a issue Infiniti needs to look into to finally overtake BMW's 3 Series?
...this is the result of the "bargain" factor so may allude to here.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Premier Member

I get the same feeling taking long turns on bumpy roads...

Old 08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by waterp7
Yeah, sure I do. It's the design. The suspension does it right most of the time. Higher quality springs and shocks help. At the end of the day, it's the suspension geometry and how you tune it. Lot's of links might help to eliminate some kick back. Additionally, that might make it a pain in the *** to align as well.
I personally believe that Nissan went with a durable albeit slightly less sophisticated setup. It's a responsive setup. It's just missing a bit. I feel the Infiniti rides better than a BMW 3 with sport package. However, the Bimmer has better dampening.
Infiniti will need to change the design if they are going to surpass BMW, more than just the suspension too.
The benefit of Infiniti's design is simplicity- Adding a more complex arrangement might allow BMW level of tuning from the factory, and it would certainly add more cost.

I'd be happy if they left the rear suspension as is, and modfied the front. With the savings, I'd add insulation and higher quality paint.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Lip
Yeah, sure I do. It's the design. The suspension does it right most of the time. Higher quality springs and shocks help. At the end of the day, it's the suspension geometry and how you tune it. Lot's of links might help to eliminate some kick back. Additionally, that might make it a pain in the *** to align as well.
I personally believe that Nissan went with a durable albeit slightly less sophisticated setup. It's a responsive setup. It's just missing a bit. I feel the Infiniti rides better than a BMW 3 with sport package. However, the Bimmer has better dampening.
Infiniti will need to change the design if they are going to surpass BMW, more than just the suspension too.
The benefit of Infiniti's design is simplicity- Adding a more complex arrangement might allow BMW level of tuning from the factory, and it would certainly add more cost.

I'd be happy if they left the rear suspension as is, and modfied the front. With the savings, I'd add insulation and higher quality paint.
I thought that Infiniti actually used a multi-link or Double-Wishbone front and Multi-link rear; whereas BMW uses a McPherson Strut up front and Multi-link rear. This is why I can't understand how Infiniti cannot match the setup of the BMW, given that a McPherson strut setups have more limitations then a Double Wishbone or multi-link in terms of geometry.

+1 on the Paint/Cabin Insulation comment

Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by RLampke
I thought that Infiniti actually used a multi-link or Double-Wishbone front and Multi-link rear; whereas BMW uses a McPherson Strut up front and Multi-link rear. This is why I can't understand how Infiniti cannot match the setup of the BMW, given that a McPherson strut setups have more limitations then a Double Wishbone or multi-link in terms of geometry.

+1 on the Paint/Cabin Insulation comment
You are right, Infiniti does use a multi-link (similar to Audi) up front and a similar arangement in the rear. This could very well come down to dampening.
As you point out BMW uses a McPherson setup up front.
There goes my theory. . .
Question: Does the tendancy to bump steer become less pronounced with say a Tein coil-over setup?

I'm not sure what else it could be, other than tuning of geometry and dampening differences.
Perhaps the BMW utilizes a far more rigid sub-frame? I'm guessing yes.
Perhaps various suspension pieces are lighter and less reliant on spring and shock dampening and control in the BMW?
Maybe they allow for more movement vertically before the rush of dampening kicks in? And then the rebound is better controlled?

Looking for straws...

Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Lip
Perhaps the BMW utilizes a far more rigid sub-frame? I'm guessing yes.
I think you nailed it on this comment - the BMW definitely utilizes a more rigid frame that is far less resistant to torsion events, or off-axis movement of the frame in relation to the suspension.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
can this be addressed a little with a Front Shock Tower bar?