G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Proper way to shift in DS mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper way to shift in DS mode

Hey guys,

I just got a 2007 G35x and wanted to know the "proper" way to shift in DS mode. Should I treat it like a real manual transmission and let off the gas and then shift or can I keep my foot on the gas and shift up or down as I please?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:28 PM
It's still just an auto, keep your foot down while you tell the computer to change it up a gear. I'd assume if you're downshifting you're decelerating though, so I probably wouldn't hold the gas down while doing that.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:43 PM
The only time I might keep my foot down on the gas when down shifting is when I want to pass a truck quickly on the highway. At the same time, I don't want to over rev the engine...so I think I might let off the gas -> down shift -> accelerate. I love my car too much to make it feel unnecessary pain.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by EuG35x
The only time I might keep my foot down on the gas when down shifting is when I want to pass a truck quickly on the highway. At the same time, I don't want to over rev the engine...so I think I might let off the gas -> down shift -> accelerate. I love my car too much to make it feel unnecessary pain.

or just drive in regular mode unless your goal is spirited driving.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a manny (manual tranny) like Cali, so I can't say from direct experience but if you've driven a stick before you know that:

1. Upshifting - in a manual you let off the gas at least a little to protect the engine from over-revving, unless you're really good at lightning-quick upshifts. In an auto you don't need to do so... doesn't matter whether you're in manumatic or automatic mode, just hold down the gas pedal.

2. Downshifting - in a manual you may want to tap the throttle as you engage the lower gear (especially if you're decelerating into a turn) so that the revs match the driveshaft and the car doesn't get pitched by the sudden change in weight distribution. You also don't downshift from 6th to 2nd when you're driving 70mph because the engine will spin waaay too fast and quite possibly break. Both of the same basic principles apply to a manumatic, although the throttle-tap downshift may be a little hit-or-miss simply due to the fact that you can't modulate the engagement of the gear you're downshifting into, so it may not be worth attempting.

Here's what I would have done the first day I had a manumatic (btw, what does 'DS' stand for?): go out to a quiet, deserted street and experiment with 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3-throttle upshifts and downshifts on straights and in turns. See which combination feels best to you as far as putting stress on the drivetrain and staying in control of the vehicle.

I hope that helps,
Joe

Last edited by Joe_Camel; 11-11-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pedal to the metal. shift at 6000 rpm. ooooohhhhhyyyyeeeeeaaaahhhh.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:21 PM
DS stands for drive sport. When you put the shifter to the left it is in DS mode and shifts at higher rpm's than standard mode. What you are talking about is after you put it to DS mode you hit up or down on the shifter. Then you are in manumatic or tiptronic or whatever you like to call it. I think DS mode will do a better job than most drivers.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Camel

2. Downshifting - in a manual you may want to tap the throttle as you engage the lower gear (especially if you're decelerating into a turn) so that the revs match the driveshaft and the car doesn't get pitched by the sudden change in weight distribution. You also don't downshift from 6th to 2nd when you're driving 70mph because the engine will spin waaay too fast and quite possibly break. Both of the same basic principles apply to a manumatic, although the throttle-tap downshift may be a little hit-or-miss simply due to the fact that you can't modulate the engagement of the gear you're downshifting into, so it may not be worth attempting.

Joe
Don't attempt to synchronize the revs when downshifting in the G, the tranny will do that for you. If you tap the gas during its shift, best case is it won't do anything - worst case is you'll receive a jerky shift as both you and the G computer try to compensate. Also, unlike a 6MT, the G won't let you downshift to beyond redline - you can drop more than one gear quickly if you're below, say, 4k in your current gear. I do this if I'm going quickly into a sharp corner, usually from 4th to 2nd, in conjunction with hitting the brakes. FYI, if you only downshift like that without braking, and go into a turn, you have an excellent chance of breaking the back wheels loose in the corner - which can be fun, if you know it's coming and know how to handle it.

For upshifts, don't try and let off the gas then either. On a 6MT, you do it because when the clutch is in, the engine can run free (and thus zing up to redline with little effort). With the AT, even when you're shifting it, the computer will change gear safely. Obviously, if you shift at WOT all the time, there will eventually be an impact on the car in terms of increased wear.

Good luck!

Oh, one other thing: I've found that the G doesn't react well to downshifting and punching it at the same time. To rapidly speed up, either drop the gear(s) then punch it, or hit the gas then shift - otherwise it won't shift for a few seconds.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Pedal to the metal. shift at 6000 rpm. ooooohhhhhyyyyeeeeeaaaahhhh.
Same for me..... only shifting at 7600 rpm.