Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Injen intake review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, just looks really weird from this point of view. All of the torque lines ramp up the same, some just a smidge later than others. I wasn't implying someone forged the dyno results, and if I came off that way, I'm sorry! I'm still having a hard time believing a whopping 40ftlbs difference, but hell, if thats what it is, it'll save me some time fabbing up a long-tube CAI

I wasn't saying that it was a turbo car either, just the way the torque ramps up looks similar to swapping out different hot sides on a turbo with the associated lag changes.... again, obviously not a turbo car pictured.

I ought to have some dyno time perhaps in the next few weeks, I'll share what I find out as well.

I have a tendancy to just spit out what I'm thinking, but I'm not trying to **** anyone off, and I'll try not to come off as I'm questioning someones integrity/honesty.

Last edited by Cracker Red; 04-29-2006 at 05:38 PM. Reason: my dumb arse came off the wrong way
Old 04-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Cracker Red
Hey man, just looks really weird from this point of view. All of the torque lines ramp up the same, some just a smidge later than others. I wasn't implying someone forged the dyno results, and if I came off that way, I'm sorry! I'm still having a hard time believing a whopping 40ftlbs difference, but hell, if thats what it is, it'll save me some time fabbing up a long-tube CAI

I wasn't saying that it was a turbo car either, just the way the torque ramps up looks similar to swapping out different hot sides on a turbo with the associated lag changes.... again, obviously not a turbo car pictured.

I ought to have some dyno time perhaps in the next few weeks, I'll share what I find out as well.

I have a tendancy to just spit out what I'm thinking, but I'm not trying to **** anyone off, and I'll try not to come off as I'm questioning someones integrity/honesty.

Cracker Red,

Your absolutely correct in questioning a 40ft-lbs difference at 4500rpm. The correct number is about 263ft-lb (not 283) a difference of only 15ft-lbs. (Correction made in original post.)

I'll look forward to adding your dyno results to the 200+ I have accumulated. I'll be especially interested in your torque results. A W or deep V pattern from off idle to 3.5k or so seems typical to a particular type of CAI.

We've also adopted the following procedure to help obtain standardized G35/250Z dyno results:

1. Coolant temperature at the start of each pull should be between about 190F. Engines should be cooled to this point betwwen pulls.

2. Intake air temperatures should be no more than 10F to 20F above the ambient temperature.

3. All cars should be run for a minimum of 5 minutes at a load of 40-50 road hp to bring engine oil, transmission and differential lubricant temperatures up to a reasonable consistent level (ideally 190F to 200F).

4. Test pulls for G35s and 350Zs shall be 5th gear for manual transmission or 3rd gear for those with automatic transmissions.

5. A minimum of 4 pulls are preferred with the first run dropped from average and peak calculations. Manual transmission pulls should be done from 1500 rpm and ending 100 rpm below the vehicles rev limiter.

6. A minimum of two (2) printouts should be provided showing measured horsepower, torque and air/fuel ratios over the test range. Mean horsepower and torque results are highly valued.

7. Atmospheric conditions, ambient temperature, barometric pressure and % humidity, should be recorded. All test data shall be SAE corrected.

8. Cars tested on inertia roller dynamometers should be “rolled in” and re-strapped to assure proper roller - tire interface and alignment. Tire pressure is critical to an optimum tire-roller interface.

9. Use big fans. You can't have too much air flow.

10. Open hood dyno results seldom if ever duplicate how a car performs in the real world. When properly used they are a good tool to compare where are to where you were.

The above is my personal opinion. Please don't knock it unless you've actually tried this procedure yourself.

Thanks in advance,

DaveO

Old 04-29-2006, 08:15 PM
I am just happy to see Injen CAI didn't give a power loss like G35 TX said...

Old 04-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Edited: LOL . . .

Last edited by Andy2434; 04-29-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:19 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey G-brothers.....how's things today?....Dang fine day it was too....I got the m out for a cruize and had a great time................
Have a great weekend boys...

C.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I've got a question for you. I've heard of a consult tool for monitoring the nissan ecu. Is there anything I could perhaps get that would simply interface with my laptop?

If not, how far of a fluctuation does the stock temp gauge before showing the car is "hot"? Does the ecu monitor IAT, or do you use a seperate probe for that?

I'll try and keep everything as "standard" as I normally do. I'm right with you on the closed hood dyno as well (a lot of people arn't).

Old 04-29-2006, 11:48 PM
I've got a question for you. I've heard of a consult tool for monitoring the nissan ecu. Is there anything I could perhaps get that would simply interface with my laptop?

If not, how far of a fluctuation does the stock temp gauge before showing the car is "hot"? Does the ecu monitor IAT, or do you use a seperate probe for that?

I'll try and keep everything as "standard" as I normally do. I'm right with you on the closed hood dyno as well (a lot of people arn't).
The Consult II is the device the Nissan/Infiniti dealer's techs use to troubleshoot, adjust and re-program your cars ECM and TCM (if an A/T) parameters. They're very expensive and, if you could find someone to sell it to you, must be updated with the latest sofware periodically.

As for other devices, I use a Techtom which is very limited in what it does. There are other more advanced ways to gather info using your laptop. Other form members may be able to help you out on that one.

The ECM (ECU) is provided with coolant and air inlet temperatures. I, along with others, have run lengthy tests on their effects. Hot coolant and/or intake air temps pulls timing. Those effects are reflected in our recommended procedure.

DaveO

Old 04-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by 2FastG354U
I am just happy to see Injen CAI didn't give a power loss like G35 TX said...
A dyno chart from the past... here's a 6MT pure stock / AEM CAI / Injen CAI comparsion which may be of interest to you. Sorry about the quality. I think you can make out the numbers.

DaveO

Attached Thumbnails Injen intake review-cai-injen-vs-aem.jpg  

Last edited by DaveO; 04-30-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Ok DaveO, what if I had Stillen CAI, 1/2 ISO Thermal MD spacer, Stillen long tube Headers, UR pullies, Crawford high flow cats, HKS exhaust, Do you have any idea what type of gains you would expect on an 03 or 04 auto G35 coupe would put out with that setup??

Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
tru

Old 04-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

There are many OBDII dataloggers you can get. I've got the Harrison unit and it cost me about $120. I've done lots of datalogging and it will give me all kinds of real time data (timing, intake temp, MAF voltage, coolant temp, etc).

http://www.obdscan.net/scantools.htm

IMO, the tool is invaluable because it gives me the trouble codes and lets me clear CELs easily. I got it primarily because my wife's 98 Legacy requires the dealer to scan and clear CELs ($80 a pop). I've used the device on my 98 Legacy, 96 Maxima, 03 G35, my father's 03 Sienna, and multiple 96+ Honda owned by my friends.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Old 05-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Every dyno I have seen including the ones this weekend have shown a loss. Also the cars have problems with dieing with the Injens as well. See my350z.com for loss power issues with injens.
Yea, My buddy has an 05 coupe with an Injen CAI. He had the same "dieing" problem. He carried it back to the dealership and they reset his ECU, which seemed to have fix the problem. He also mentioned something about lossing power in the lower rpms but said it opend up on the upper end a little.