Notices

LED under glove box/steering wheel help

Old 09-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You can always use a volt-meter to test.

I wouldn't recommend people to simply tap into the power source for many things. It's not designed to carry that much current through the little wires. A relay should always be used if possible.

on a side note, I can't believe I didn't read about this earlier, this would work perfect for one of my projects.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
You can always use a volt-meter to test.

I wouldn't recommend people to simply tap into the power source for many things. It's not designed to carry that much current through the little wires. A relay should always be used if possible.

on a side note, I can't believe I didn't read about this earlier, this would work perfect for one of my projects.

Just a question, how would you go about incorporating a relay into this installation?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM
if you have a basic understanding of relays then simply tap off the power from above mentioned source to the relay as a switch, then use the relay to trigger the accessories you want to draw power directly from the battery. This way you can potentially run as many things as your relay can handle as well as your battery.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Cool thanks for the info!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys did amazing interior mod to your car. Kuddo!!

I found these online. Which do you think will look good in our car?

CCFL 15" w/sound control or
Ultra-Slim 15" LED Strips

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by 2K6G35
You guys did amazing interior mod to your car. Kuddo!!

I found these online. Which do you think will look good in our car?

CCFL 15" w/sound control or
Ultra-Slim 15" LED Strips

Thanks for the info!

+1 on the second link i would love to know if anyone has used these, and how they wired them in. Thanks so much

Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this is a nice little project i'm going to do this weekend. I'd love to get some CCFL tubes. Lookin at some on ebay right now but just alittle cautious of purchasing them.....dont wanna get some crappy ones and have them go out. Where did you guys get yours that have already done the install....any off internet or all from pepboys, ect?

Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 PM
coolerguys.com

Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
i bought mine from svc.com

Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 805g
+1 on the second link i would love to know if anyone has used these, and how they wired them in. Thanks so much
Yes, I like that slim one too. Easy to put them on to any surfaces.
I am just worry if the leds will not show as bright as ccfl one.

Does anyone use the slim LED on G? Thx!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
So I am thinking of doing this mod, however, I also want the foot area to be lit up when the dome light is lit up. Let me clarify...

currently, the way you guys have it wired is whenever the dome light is on, these foot lights come on (both of them). Now, suppose the doors are closed because your driving or doing something else... what if you just turn on the passenger's side light by clicking it.. or the driver's side. I would like the appropriate foot light to turn on. Where can I tap into that switch? Do I have to pull the headliner?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
So I am thinking of doing this mod, however, I also want the foot area to be lit up when the dome light is lit up. Let me clarify...

currently, the way you guys have it wired is whenever the dome light is on, these foot lights come on (both of them). Now, suppose the doors are closed because your driving or doing something else... what if you just turn on the passenger's side light by clicking it.. or the driver's side. I would like the appropriate foot light to turn on. Where can I tap into that switch? Do I have to pull the headliner?
to get that to work you would need to get power from the switches. you can remove the whole light assembly (sunglasses holder and all) it just snaps into place with tabs. from there you can wire it in, you don't need to remove the headliner which is a big job since you need to pull the rear pillar trim which requires the rear seats to be removed.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
to get that to work you would need to get power from the switches. you can remove the whole light assembly (sunglasses holder and all) it just snaps into place with tabs. from there you can wire it in, you don't need to remove the headliner which is a big job since you need to pull the rear pillar trim which requires the rear seats to be removed.
but how do I run the wire down to the foot area? Won't it have to be hidden under the headliner?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you can pull the a pillar covers, they are just held in by snap clips. to get to the dome light you can tuck the wire from the edge along the windshield, just push it up there and it'll hold by friction between the liner and the roof.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
you can pull the a pillar covers, they are just held in by snap clips. to get to the dome light you can tuck the wire from the edge along the windshield, just push it up there and it'll hold by friction between the liner and the roof.
sweeeet.. i'll post some pics when I do it

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: LED under glove box/steering wheel help