Next Project: Stop Tech BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I would say if you have the money, yes ... a BBK is definetly fun as you can go into a turn very hot with no problem...repeatedly. But you should put reality into the picture. In my case, the car is my daily driver and I have never tracked it. So for me, the brakes are more bling to be totally honest.

With the increased rotor size and SS brake lines, the BBK brakes are more sensitive and harder to modulate than the stock brakes under daily driving conditions. By this, I mean that normally, you can let up on the brakes as you come to a halt so your car doesn't stop too abruptly. IMO, this is harder to do with the BBK because the car will have stopped before you can ease up on the brakes.

I also get an occasional brake squeel as the pads may not be operating at a high enough temperature on my daily driver. I am still working with StopTech to possibly switch to a more street friendly pads.

I am still working on my spare tire dilema. One solution is to get a spare wheel/tire off of a wrecked G37S, but they are obviously still hard to come by. It also works out because the sedan's trunk floor is supported by the spare and tool kit. Another solution is to get spacers that will allow my stock wheels to clear the BBK calipers. If this works, the spare should also clear the BBK calipers AND give me the bonus to use my stock wheels and tires if I ever want to. I would just keep a spacer with my stock spare for emergency use. I'll eventually have get around to jacking my car up to determine the best size spacers to use.

If you do upgrade ... trust me ... a lot of people will notice. I get a lot of compliments and field a lot of questions from people in parking lots!

Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
Terry,

So all in all would you recommend the BBK ? How are you impressions after a couple of months with them? Im really looking to buy the AP RACING 14.25 in the front and 13 in the rear, and i also dont want to have the problem of the spare tire...since my 20's are staggard

What was your final verdict on the spare tire?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Terry well said. I will look into this. I can always keep a stock wheel in the trunk like you stated.

One more question...how is the dust situation from the brakes? Are you cleaning your wheels after every long drive? or how often

Thanks for all the advice

Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 PM

The dust is pretty nasty from Axis Ultimates, but I normally wash my car once a week so it has not been an issue. I am expecting a set of Axis Deluxes which should take care of squeel and dust.

Thanks Terry well said. I will look into this. I can always keep a stock wheel in the trunk like you stated.

One more question...how is the dust situation from the brakes? Are you cleaning your wheels after every long drive? or how often

Thanks for all the advice

Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 PM

I had some free time this weekend so I put in the Axis Deluxe pads. All I can say is night and day difference ... no more squealing!

I also put my stock wheels and tires back on to see what size spacers I would need. It looks like about 5/8" in front. None are needed in back.

The stock G35 spare will also go over the rear calipers. That means everything is cool if one of my back tires go flat. The only problem is in the front because the stock spare is too small in diameter.

Seems like the best thing for me is to get a G37S spare assy for emergencies and spacers (if possible?) for the front if I ever decide to run my stock wheels.

BTW ... P/N for G37S spare wheel is 40300JK00B. Jason at Riverside Infiniti quoted $430 for forum members.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:05 PM

Just noticed the stock wheel would raise your trunk floor if you put it where the spare goes. I don't think you'd want to put it on top of your trunk floor, so G37S spare would be the way to go for emergencies.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Sorry for bringing this back up again, but I thought it should go here for future reference.

I still had an occasional squeal problem with the Axis Deluxe pads. It rarely happended, but I believe it should never happen in a $40K car with $6K in brake hardware. I made another change to Centric Posiquiet (Part numbers 105.06090 front, 106.09610 rear). These are more of a street pad. I figure if I ever decide to track the car, I can switch back to the Axis Ultimate pads.

There was also a small amount of play in the front retaining clips that keep the pad from coming out of the calipers so we bent them slightly to remove the play.

So far, the brakes are very quiet and seem to be working great.

Last edited by terrycs; 02-19-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
Just noticed the stock wheel would raise your trunk floor if you put it where the spare goes. I don't think you'd want to put it on top of your trunk floor, so G37S spare would be the way to go for emergencies.
..back to the top

Inquiring minds wonder what your final solution was for the spare to fit the BBK?

I can't decide whether to look for a spare that fits (like G37S)

...or go with an re-inflate system like the Conti-kit.
My Z4M had an OE inflate kit, but it also did not have 'in tire' TPMS

Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
..back to the top

Inquiring minds wonder what your final solution was for the spare to fit the BBK?

I can't decide whether to look for a spare that fits (like G37S)

...or go with an re-inflate system like the Conti-kit.
My Z4M had an OE inflate kit, but it also did not have 'in tire' TPMS

I suppose the portable inflation system could work if the leak were small, but I managed to get a G37S spare which fits over the front and rear brakes. The owner of the G37S upgraded his brakes to something even bigger so he had no use for it so I bought it from him.

The G37S spare tire assembly should be much easier to get now.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Terry.
I'm not sure how the TPMS would like the goop from the inflate kit either.

..G37S are still a little scarce here, but there should something at the wreckers before long.
I'll just use one of my track 18's for now.