Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
So can't you just advance the timing at infiniti and not bother with the other 300 bucks and get the bullydog?
No. I've discussed this in detail with my local Infiniti shop and they all agree that your ECU will automatically retard the timing back to zero deg. The bullydog "over rides", if that's the term you want to use, and keeps the timing advanced.

Atleast that's how it was explained to me.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
...any thoughts on the best way to dyno this thing?

I have a place lined up to do 2 pulls before & 2 after.
I'm just wondering if consecutive pulls is a good idea or not,
considering heat load for the last two & whether the ECU fully adapts, even with a quicky reset.

..or do two separate days after the ECU has learned the new settings.
- problem there is getting similar atmospheric conditions. (plus added cost)

Either one will work, although doing it all on the same day will yield the best result. For 2 runs each way, heat shouldn't be much of a problem. With the fans on and your car off for a few minutes while tweaking with the BD, that should be enough time to get the vehicle back to "normal operating temperature".

Doing it on separate days will also work, so long as the results are SAE corrected.

Do you know someone with a Grassroots Motorsports magazine? This month's has a pretty in-depth coverage of how to properly do a dyno-run and get the most out of it. I don't have a scanner but if you want i can start taking photos of each page for you.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^ Thanks.

would this be the article?

Dyno Dos: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine Articles

Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh, cool. That's a good one. There was another article in the October issue but i don't see it online yet ("Dyno Test Extravaganza: Maximize your tuning time") as well as one that shows what they gained while doing regular maintenance on a BMW.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
No. I've discussed this in detail with my local Infiniti shop and they all agree that your ECU will automatically retard the timing back to zero deg. The bullydog "over rides", if that's the term you want to use, and keeps the timing advanced.

Atleast that's how it was explained to me.
That dealership is stupid, timing doesn't work that way & neither does our ECU. The timing is set at the factory to xx (I'll say 15) it does NOT drop below that unless you fill the car with 87 octane and it detects detonation. A 2 degree timing advance will do NO damage to our motors.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
So can't you just advance the timing at infiniti and not bother with the other 300 bucks and get the bullydog?
Keep in mind that the BD allows you to also pulls codes, sets your shift points, your top speed, etc. and also allows for you to choose an economy setting for better fuel economy with lesser octane fuels.
It offers more than a +2 degree timing advance.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Keep in mind that the BD allows you to also pulls codes, sets your shift points, your top speed, etc. and also allows for you to choose an economy setting for better fuel economy with lesser octane fuels.
It offers more than a +2 degree timing advance.
Yeah the BD offers quite a bit if you ask me, this is something I am still dying to pick up as a result. Would most likely have mine now if I diddn't pick up my intakes a week ago. BD sounds like one of the best mods you can do for your G.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Am I wrong or is this pretty much a "one size fits all" tune? Specifically, it doesn't take into account what other mods are done to the car as an UpRev tune might. So those with a stock setup could run the premium tune at +2 timing and be okay, but what happens to someone who has intake, plenum spacer and full exhaust mods. Wouldn't the AFRs at WOT be different between the two cars?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
My understanding is that this "tune" does not interfere with the ECU's ability to adapt to changes.
This is a very good question and one that I alone don't have the answer to. I do know that I've seen impressive gains with this thing and find it to be worth the price of admission.

I think that UpRev would allow for slightly better gains, but that requires more $ up front and the cost of a custom tune as well.

For me, and others who don't want to go through the tuning process, this thing seems to fit the need nicely.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 08-26-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by bjquinnIUmed
Am I wrong or is this pretty much a "one size fits all" tune? Specifically, it doesn't take into account what other mods are done to the car as an UpRev tune might. So those with a stock setup could run the premium tune at +2 timing and be okay, but what happens to someone who has intake, plenum spacer and full exhaust mods. Wouldn't the AFRs at WOT be different between the two cars?
That's exactly why I haven't bought the BD. I'm not comfortable that the A/F ratio is still safe.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Man been following this from the begining and missed a couple of weeks (vacation), But still no dynos?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
...any thoughts on the best way to dyno this thing?

I have a place lined up to do 2 pulls before & 2 after.
I'm just wondering if consecutive pulls is a good idea or not,
considering heat load for the last two & whether the ECU fully adapts, even with a quicky reset.

..or do two separate days after the ECU has learned the new settings.
- problem there is getting similar atmospheric conditions. (plus added cost)

if/when you make it to the dyno, can you raise your rev limiter as high as possible when you do the dyno pull with the BD flash. that way we know if the car makes any usable power with a higher redline or if its pointless and power just drops off.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
^ That's a great idea!

As for the A/F thing, i don't have one but my guess is (and BD owners, please confirm), the unit can log data which you can probably send to BD for analysis and re-tune.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm a new member, and this is a great (but long!) thread. I've only had my 07 g35x for 6 weeks, but I wanted to share a little info about my other car, a 03 supercharged eclipse gts.

2 1/2 years ago, before going FI, I had the "normal" mods--I/H/E, as well as a few other less common ones like HFC, oversized TB, P&P's upper/lower intake mani with spacers--all tuned with the SAFC2. Unfortunately, my car (remember, only 210 crank hp stock) STILL felt like a dog.

Fortunately, ECU flash came out for our platform. I jumped all over it. For those not familiar with it, ECU flash allows the user to change things like AFR's, timing, and accel enrich, among others. After 6 WOT pulls on the highway with datalogging, each time sending emailing the logs to a tuner, who changed my rom so I could reflash it, I took it to a dyno and saw a 12 whp/12 wtq gain between the stock and reflashed runs (sorry I don't have the dyno sheets anymore). I should also mention that there was no knock, even with increasing timing by up to 4 degrees and leaning the highest RPM/load AFR's from 10.5 stock to 12.5 stock. The car felt faster--apparently not fast enough since I went FI anyway

So, maybe apples to oranges, but if I was seeing those kind of gains on my piddly 3.0 Mitsu motor, if Bully Dog does the same kind of things the ECU flash does on Mitsu's and Subi's, we should see even more gains on our kick-*** 3.5. This might also help put those members' minds at ease who are wary of a 2 degree timing increase, or of running too lean. I can't see how BD would put out a tune that could kill a N/A motor.

Once I take care of some routine maintenance issues, I definitely plan on going with the BD.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
^ That's a great idea!

As for the A/F thing, i don't have one but my guess is (and BD owners, please confirm), the unit can log data which you can probably send to BD for analysis and re-tune.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm curious if BD will send you a vehicle-specific tune as well.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but seriously...where are some legit dyno runs to test this thing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions