Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjquinnIUmed
Can anyone confirm this? I'm curious if BD will send you a vehicle-specific tune as well.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but seriously...where are some legit dyno runs to test this thing?
I'd bet money the answer is no. And again, that's why I'm scared of the unit.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
I'd bet money the answer is no. And again, that's why I'm scared of the unit.
I'd be more afraid of that UR Pulley than the BD, IMO.

I've had nothing but a great experience with this thing. I don't know everything about what this tune does and doesn't do, but the before and after changes are impressive enough to justify the cost.
I'm still looking forward to seeing some dyno results.

I was planning on getting a few dyno runs in at a shop that was going to install my springs for me, but the long wait for an open appointment and the cost of install now has me looking elsewhere.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
AesonVirus,

I hope you didn't get the wrong impression...I'm not saying the BD is a waste of money, in fact if the a/f ratio proves to be sufficient I'll probably buy one myself. Having driven a FI Integra (several years ago) I learned the value, through others misfortune, of have the correct air/fuel ratio. I was using a 6BDM that allowed me to adjust timing based on the amount of boost reached. I watched may people advance their timing and pop engines because they were running too lean. It just gives me the uneasy feeling. Everybody seems to love their BD so far, maybe one day I will too.

As for the UR Pulley. I don't claim to be a mechanical enigneer by any means, but I do have a lot of personal experience with pulleys. I'm still unsure why everyone is so scared of them. I've been using aftermarket pulleys for over 10 years now on 3 different cars and never had a problem (maybe I've gotten lucky). I know that these pulleys are sold by the 1000's each year. Considering how long aftermarket pulleys have been around and the number of people using them, I'm guessing that it's a safe mod.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
AesonVirus,

I hope you didn't get the wrong impression...I'm not saying the BD is a waste of money, in fact if the a/f ratio proves to be sufficient I'll probably buy one myself. Having driven a FI Integra (several years ago) I learned the value, through others misfortune, of have the correct air/fuel ratio. I was using a 6BDM that allowed me to adjust timing based on the amount of boost reached. I watched may people advance their timing and pop engines because they were running too lean. It just gives me the uneasy feeling. Everybody seems to love their BD so far, maybe one day I will too.

As for the UR Pulley. I don't claim to be a mechanical enigneer by any means, but I do have a lot of personal experience with pulleys. I'm still unsure why everyone is so scared of them. I've been using aftermarket pulleys for over 10 years now on 3 different cars and never had a problem (maybe I've gotten lucky). I know that these pulleys are sold by the 1000's each year. Considering how long aftermarket pulleys have been around and the number of people using them, I'm guessing that it's a safe mod.
Nah, no worng impressions... everything's cool

The UR Pulley was next on my list until I saw what happened to Suby's car. Once they blamed the aftermarket UR Pulley, I said and decided to scrap the idea. Granted, it was the key and not the pulley, but the whole thing just scares the crap out of me now.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Nah, no worng impressions... everything's cool

The UR Pulley was next on my list until I saw what happened to Suby's car. Once they blamed the aftermarket UR Pulley, I said and decided to scrap the idea. Granted, it was the key and not the pulley, but the whole thing just scares the crap out of me now.
I knew about Subys car but I never saw the thread on what the determination was. I figured Infiniti would blame the UR pulley just to get out of paying for a new engine. It's so common for dealerships to blame aftermarket parts without even trying to determine the real problem. I also saw a thread recently where Suby said he was keeping all of his original mods, so I assume that means the UR pulley too.

It's funny how something like that will mess with your mind, just like me with the advanced timing issue. If someone would send me a BD I'll take it to the dyno. There's a dyno 1/2 mile from my work. I'll ship it back ASAP. I promise.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by stardust
You can find Infiniti techs out back behind the dealership that are willing to advance the timing 2 degrees for $20. How in the world do you think Infiniti would be able to void the warranty on the engine because an Infiniti tech advanced the timing with their own consult tool?
One can not say it is safe to do it "just because infiniti tech does it". I have not seen a logging to persuade me that it would be safe. If a well trained infiniti tech reviewed a BD flashed ECU, he/she will recoqnize "Checksum - flash count" as well as "timing table" being altered right a way (This is a part of a standard api for flashing ECU). You just have to thank these so so infiniti techs around your local dealership.

Bottom line is that there is an insufficient data to say BD is a good or bad upgrade. I am a conservative guy who does not like to guess.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danfrompa
One can not say it is safe to do it "just because infiniti tech does it". I have not seen a logging to persuade me that it would be safe. If a well trained infiniti tech reviewed a BD flashed ECU, he/she will recoqnize "Checksum - flash count" as well as "timing table" being altered right a way (This is a part of a standard api for flashing ECU). You just have to thank these so so infiniti techs around your local dealership.

Bottom line is that there is an insufficient data to say BD is a good or bad upgrade. I am a conservative guy who does not like to guess.
Bottom line is that a 2 degree timing advance is NOT bad for our engines and will NOT cause any ill-effects.
I'm not talking about any BD tunes, just a timing advance.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I just put a newer update on (123f). My old one (122h) was a real disapointment for me I didnt feel a resonable amount of diference. But this new one seems much more refined and I felt a little difference in power and the car pulls harder after about 45. The shifts are also much refined, faster and quicker. It doesnt shift as hard as it did before. I still havnt advanced the timing with this new update. Im waiting for the engine to cool a little and because of the fires around here its really hot and dry! its about 102-108 and it would be risky to up the timing. The only problem Im having with this or the old update is that it doesnt do anything for my rpms. Its still stock on D or DS and only up to about 7800 on manual mode, and I always put it on 8000. I still havent rely tested it out yet. I just took it around the streets and didnt wanna push it too much because last time I have a bad experience with a cop lol. But Tonight if it gets cooler Im gonna up the timing and go rely test it out.

Last edited by Gevo1; 09-04-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
still can't believe we don't have ANY kind of dyno information on this tune, thats really all i'm waiting for before i get this because it seems like a great bang for the buck mod, especially with the increased gas mileage. i don't even need the A/F ratio to be very very safe, i don't mind it a little aggressive, i just want to be sure its not completely out of control.. at this point i'm about to give up on a dyno sheet and just get the damn thing and take a chance, whats the worst that can happen, my car is still under warranty and i can always switch to stock if things go wrong, they would never really know since my car is completely stock..

but anyway, a couple questions for those who have it. when u go in for dealer service, how long does it take to return the car back to stock, and then how long does it take to reflash the tune once you get home? is it a long process of uploading tunes back and forth?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by markk132
when u go in for dealer service, how long does it take to return the car back to stock, and then how long does it take to reflash the tune once you get home? is it a long process of uploading tunes back and forth?
5 minutes
I keep my BD in the trunk just in case I ever need to revert back to stock quickly.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Dino... Dino... Dino... Oh wait, did I miss something? Of course, where are my manners!
DINO please... DINO please... Dino please... LOL

Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Me
Dino... Dino... Dino... Oh wait, did I miss something? Of course, where are my manners!
DINO please... DINO please... Dino please... LOL
here ya go.....

Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 AM
^lol!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LMAO! that is just too good.

I am surprised we still have no dyno for the Bullydog yet as well though.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably no dyno because no one wants to go out of their way to find out they bought a 400 dollar paperweight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions