Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Should I buy winter or all season tires for winter in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy winter or all season tires for winter in Atlanta?

I bought a Infiniti G35 IP coupe in March and now reside in Milwaukee Wisconsin, however I am relocating to Atlanta Georgia in december. My question is, should I spend money on a set a winter tires for the coupe? Atlanta's winters are nothing compared to Milwaukee's. If I wasn't moving I would have to buy a set of winter tires or store the car for the winter. I can save some money if I do not have to buy winter tires. Would all season tires be preferrable to drive on in Atlanta and then switch to summers tires when the weather warms up again in the spring?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't spend the money on winter tires for Atlanta. I looked it up and their average annual snowfall is about 2 inches. No way that is enough to warrant buying winter tires. Just get some decent all-seasons.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 AM
I lived in Atlanta for 11 years, and I still have family there. None of us ever bought winter tires. It doesn't snow often, and when it does, everything shuts down.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ sounds like Austin - whenever it gets cold enough for the roads to ice over (usually 1 or 2 days every 3 years), nobody leaves their home. I've never even seen snow tires in real life.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not even worth it. I drove through 1st winter on factory summer performance tires being grounded only 3 days. I'm in PA.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is a truly great all season tire. Can't go wrong with a set of these.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I live in Charlotte, NC about 3.5 hours north of atlanta and i would honestly suggest just staying with summer tires year round. If last year is any hit at what this year will be like you can count on your hands the # of days the temp goes below 40F and it might,.. maybe,... snow 2 days the whole year and even then less then 2" if that.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:37 PM
5 winters in Chicago with my G35 coupe. It's my daily driver. Never missed court (I'm a lawyer) due to snow. Despite the 100+ inches we got this past winter. (I believe Milwaukee got even more), have had no problems on Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge V rated M+S A/S.

I hear that the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S is just as good in the white stuff.

Found this Car & Driver winter v. A/S v. summer performance tire comparison test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ons_tech_stuff

Winter tires provide merely a 10% reduction in stopping distances on snow over a good A/S M+S tire. No surprise that Summer performance tires provide virtually no traction in snow or on ice.

Fact is winter tires still need double the stopping distance from 50 mph in snow/ or ice over A/S or performance tires on dry pavement.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
I lived in Atlanta for 13yrs. Winter tires are unnecessary. All season would be fine. I'd be inclined to say that you could get away with summer tires too.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
I've been driving in Atlanta for 43 years. Snow is NEVER an issue. However... ice is. Unless you want to invest in studded tires then don't waste your money.

I run ultra soft summer compound no matter what on my coupe. OTOH, it only has 16K on it and is 3 years old. If I had to use it as a "daily driver" I'd change one thing about the tires and perhaps go with a v grooved type symmetrical to help with water control. Then again, the drought we've had the last 4 years (or more) is more of a factor with rain-slick roads from the LACK of rain, than not having a tire that responds as an 'ultimate' rain tire.

Funny thing though with the coupes and finding just the right tire. Many out there go nuts over the OEM Bridgestones being so soft and wearing so fast. (That, and the price of the RFT tires by themselves.) The RE050A's have a 120 treadwear rating, not gonna' win any long distance wear awards. I've known of more than a few at my local dealer that have spent big bucks on new wheels (both 19's & 20's) then not being able to afford decent tires. Between the tire cost and getting obsessed with treadwear ratings some will jump from the 120 rating, to a 280 even a 300 or higher. I can tell ya'... put a 300 rated tire on these puppies and you'll have one heck of a day driving it. Leave the VDC on and it'll drive you crazy cutting the throttle out if you drive lets say.... uh 'snappy'. Turn the VDC off (of course nobody would do that ) and the rear-end will go freaking NUTS!!! That's just red-light to red-light. Go for handling in the twisties and it'll push in the front, then try the power and she'll snap loose every time.

It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing. Sure, given enough suspension mods you can eventually tweak it enough for the harder tires. Even then though you'll need a way to 'tweak' the VDC internals. Like I told a friend today... just suck it up and buy a tire that gets you there driving like you like to drive. Drive easy enough and a hard one will work, drive like most of us and you're gonna' be looking at tire prices every 15,000 ~17,000 miles or so.